ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Methylin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Methylin (methylphenidate)

Old 02-21-07, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Share your Methylin Success Stories

Share your methylin Successes here. We look forword to reading your success stories here on the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to netsavy006 For This Useful Post:
RjoyD1 (09-10-16)
Old 02-05-10, 07:21 PM
Jr Member

saddboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Share your Methylin Success Stories

Hmm no respones, I guess not many people use generic ritalin.

I started on it for a couple of months, started 10mg two times a day for a week, then to 20mg two times a day for another week, now 20mg three times a day. Takes about 40 minutes to kick in, feels great feels like I can do anything, lasts for an hour and a half to two hours, then start feeling it wear off, and serious depression/suicidal thoughts and irritability kicks in. I have to take it about every 2-3 hours. I hate that it goes away so fast, I know I have high metabolism, but does this happen to anyone else with normal metabolism? And it dehydrates me almost completely, excessive thirst and dry mouth, I have to drink tons of water throught the day, especially when it kicks in otherwise the effect isnt as strong, dry mouth lasts all day. Serious appetite suppression and gaggin when I try to eat. Lose weight fast, but I think its mostly water loss. And my heart rate and pressure increases when it takes effect. I really dont like it becuz of these side effects and the fact that it goes away so fast, I have to take about 80mg a day to get a full day of studyiing done, yesterday I used 100mg : /. I really wanna change drugs, but i have no insurance. Does anyone have the same experiences with this drug plz let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to saddboy For This Useful Post:
special_dx (11-02-10)
Old 02-10-10, 04:38 PM

cantfocus is on a distinguished road

Saddboy,

I've tried the extended release version. (20 mg tabs) Similar experience as you in terms of feeling pretty good after taking it. Kicks in between 30 and 60 minutes. (I have stopped since, among other things, I started having GI distress.)

It did suppress my appetite and I lost weight.

I can say it made me very irritable, paranoid and not such a pleasure to be around.

The letdown/wear off (I think my Doctor called it titrating out) sucks. (Sorry about the language but that describes it most succinctly).

When it wore off, I experienced very, very bad thoughts, utter fatigue and somewhat of a headache. All in all, the total experience (which started out okay) ended as a mixed bag and I ultimately stopped taking any drugs.

I am looking for natural alternatives to calm my anxiety, help me focus and stop the incessant music I hear in my mind all the time which is a contributor to my distraction.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cantfocus For This Useful Post:
saddboy (02-18-10), special_dx (11-02-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-10, 01:43 PM
Jr Member

cantfocus, yes I dont like the extended release either after using it for 3 days I stopped, focus was worse, I was also more easily irritated and annoyed while on the pill as you were. I'm starting to give up on drugs also, but I will try adderall before I give up. Have you tried other drugs? I liked focalin but its a bit pricy even for generic. If you can afford it try focalin, I had much less side effects on it.
special_dx (11-02-10)
Old 02-19-10, 02:27 AM
Jr Member

BudalaADDzena is on a distinguished road

i only took it 3 times..dont remember the dose..

it shot my HR up really high and i had chest pain and didnt help anything...i tried half but it was the same just a lil less intense...

thats al i remember..oh i had the i can conquer the world attitute too...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BudalaADDzena For This Useful Post:
saddboy (02-19-10), special_dx (11-02-10)
Old 02-19-10, 04:02 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudalaADDzena View Post
i only took it 3 times..dont remember the dose..

it shot my HR up really high and i had chest pain and didnt help anything...i tried half but it was the same just a lil less intense...

thats al i remember..oh i had the i can conquer the world attitute too...

LOL yup same here loved that euphoria but no chest pain just high pressure and rate, so what did you end up switching to BudalaADDzena or did you stop taking meds.
Old 03-10-10, 06:34 PM

student426 is on a distinguished road

I have had a similar experience as saddboy. At first, taking 20mg every 3-4 hours, this medicine worked great. Not even two weeks after taking this same amount, I can't even see a change in my concentration, only in my mood. When the medicine kicks in I feel awesome, great mood for no reason. Like someone presses a button, as soon as it wears off I feel completely down and sad, again for no reason, usually accompanied by a headache. My doctor has switched me to Adderall, after I told her I didn't want to be on a mood stabilizer (one med to fix the side effect of another? no thanks). I haven't been able to try it yet, but I really don't want to take the Methylin anymore. The up is great, but the down is way too bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to student426 For This Useful Post:
saddboy (03-15-10), special_dx (11-02-10)
Old 04-01-10, 03:48 AM
Jr Member

Some good news, I tried generic adderall for over a week now, didnt feel any euphoria as I did with methylin/generic ritalin, it was a smoother gentler feeling, and there was no real crash or depression, appetite suppression was much less, I was able to eat when I wanted, there is still dehydration, but much less dry mouth than with methylin. The focus lasts longer, like about 5 hours, and was more consistent than methylin. Price was about 10 bux more, but seems to be worth it. Good luck to whoever is reading, thx for everyone's inputs.
special_dx (11-02-10)
Old 04-01-10, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddboy View Post
Some good news, I tried generic adderall for over a week now, didnt feel any euphoria as I did with methylin/generic ritalin, it was a smoother gentler feeling, and there was no real crash or depression, appetite suppression was much less, I was able to eat when I wanted, there is still dehydration, but much less dry mouth than with methylin. The focus lasts longer, like about 5 hours, and was more consistent than methylin. Price was about 10 bux more, but seems to be worth it. Good luck to whoever is reading, thx for everyone's inputs.
Thats awesome to hear. I just got the adderall too, havent been able to afford it yet. i had almost given up, but it sounds like itll be worth trying. Thanks!
Old 04-28-10, 06:18 PM
Jr Member

hey student426 did you get to try the adderall, generic, yet? If so how did it work out for you? The concentration part with adderall wasnt as strong for me as with methylin, want to know if it was same for you.
Old 05-09-10, 10:11 PM

saddboy, no, i havent gotten it yet.. even the generic is 60$ and I havent been able to afford it, school will be out in a week, so I probably wont get it until fall semester starts up. Hopefully it will work though, I stopped taking the Methylin and I've done horrible in school this semester, but I couldnt take the side-effects
The Following User Says Thank You to student426 For This Useful Post:
saddboy (05-20-10)
Old 05-20-10, 02:40 PM
Jr Member

student426, I understand, I recently switched back to methylin for the price and stronger focus, but I try not to use it often due to the side effects, I hear you on doing bad in school without it I am suffering the same also, thanks again for your input
Old 09-27-10, 02:59 AM
Jr Member

Ritalin20Xanax2 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Newbie Here! I do use Methylin 20mg IR since it is very cheap and I do not have insurance. It is just like Ritalin IMO (In my opinion). They are strong and I just realized these are the strongest mg IR tabs. They work great for me, I stay focused at work and work better than I would without them. The only downside to me is I have anxiety/panic disorder so I also get prescribed Klonopin 2mg and Xanax 2mg. The Klonopin I am supposed to take 3 per day and the Xanax I take for Breakthrough Anxiety which is rare. The Klonopin does help with eating since it stimulates appetite and reduces a lot of the anxiety. So, IMO the Methylin is a great choice if you need a cheaper Stimulant for your ADD/ADHD. Anyways, Thanks for reading my story.

-Patrick

PS.
Time to read the others now
Klonopin 2mg, Ambien 10mg / Lunesta 3mg,
Zoloft 100mg, Pristiq 100mg
(Too much at such a young age - 25)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritalin20Xanax2 For This Useful Post:
special_dx (11-02-10)
Old 09-27-10, 03:08 AM
Jr Member

Ritalin20Xanax2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by student426 View Post
no, i haven't gotten it yet.. even the generic is 60$ and I haven't been able to afford it
Hey Student426,
Which Pharmacy are you trying. At CVS, for 60 20mg I have been able to get them for about $30.00. Also, If you have a Walgreen's discount card, the price is about the same. Also, If the side effects are too much; I would talk to your Dr. since that's what I did. I receive Klonopin 2mg and Xanax 2mg now with my Methylin. He has me take 3 Klonopin per day no matter what to get rid of most anxiety and to increase appetite since it does that as well. The Xanax is for Breakthrough Anxiety in case the Klonopin is not doing its job and also because the Xanax works the fastest if I start having a panic attack. Although, I would not ask for such strong benzodiazepines such as the strongest Klonopin and Xanax. I would ask for Valium 10mg or Ativan 1mg. I would recommend the Ativan since it has a long half life. I am not a Dr. though so let the Dr. Decide but bring the idea up to him or tell him you wont take your Methylin. Hope this helps Student426. Thanks for your time and I appreciate you reading this.

-Patrick
Klonopin 2mg, Ambien 10mg / Lunesta 3mg,
Zoloft 100mg, Pristiq 100mg
(Too much at such a young age - 25)
Old 11-02-10, 11:19 AM
Jr Member

special_dx will become famous soon enough

Hi All

I have been trying generic Methylphenidate, I take three doses with 4 hours gap and keep a log of how each dose goes.

So far I have tried 5-5-5, 5-10-5 with no real difference other than a reduction of anxiety and increase in calm - not what I expected and probably the placebo effect.

I have been told to keep it under 30mg per day to start with, but try varying amounts for harder tasks so I may go for 5-15-10 or 5-20-5 tomorrow to stay within this range. I don't take them in the evening as I have a fairly sedate home life and a supportive family.

I am due up at the ADHD clinic on Friday, so i might be told to up the dose or keep going as I am. I will post back if my experience with the drug changes with time or increased dosage.

Cheers
Matt