ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 02-21-07, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Share your Concerta Success Stories

Anybody who has a success story that they'd like to share, post it here. We look forword to reading your success stories...

Last edited by netsavy006; 02-21-07 at 09:52 AM..
Old 04-21-07, 10:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

LacyLew is on a distinguished road
I was on Adderall XR for over a year. But I just didn't seem to be able to find the right dosage. Too low and it did nothing for me. Too high and I had heart palpitations, couldn't sleep and felt like I'd just downed a gallon of coffee. It also INCREASED my impulsiveness (shopping!!) which I did not need. Boy did it give me motivation, though. I built a retaining wall, painted the entire exterior of our house (it's a big house) and built shelves in the garage. I got so focused on those things and others, that I couldn't tear myself away.

I started Concerta a couple months ago. First I went with 36 mg, then bumped it up to 54 mg.

I like it soooo much better - no heart palpitations, I have no trouble sleeping at night, it causes me to slow down and think before acting on my impulses, and I haven't felt the strong desire to do any major projects on my house!! Other than planting flowers, anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to LacyLew For This Useful Post:
tinybike (05-29-15)
Old 05-19-07, 10:40 AM

scienceteacher is on a distinguished road
Started Concerta two weeks ago

After years of knowing that I had a problem, I finally went to see my doctor a couple of weeks ago. After talking with him about my symptoms, he put me on Concerta 18 mg once a day to start. I'm a big guy, but I've always been very sensitive to all medications, so the Concerta has affected me in a big way.

The first day, I felt drugged. People would speak to me, and it would take me a few seconds to come up with the right words to respond. This only happened on the first day.

My ability to focus has been vastly improved. I am a high school chemistry and physics teacher, as well as the Head of the Science department at my school. I have a very demanding job, and before Concerta, I was a mess. Now, my work area and my home are neat and tidy, and assignments get back to the kids the very next day. This is a miracle! I am also the boys' soccer coach at my school, and I have found that the practices I run are much more organized since I started on Concerta.

So far, I do not have any negative side effects, and my mood has improved vastly, likely because now I go to bed every night having crossed off all of the things on my daily "to do" list. Concerta has changed my life, and now I can go forward towards my 5 year goal of becoming a High School Principal. This is something I never could have accomplished without Concerta.
The Following User Says Thank You to scienceteacher For This Useful Post:
tinybike (05-29-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-15, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

Donny997 is a glorious beacon of lightDonny997 is a glorious beacon of lightDonny997 is a glorious beacon of lightDonny997 is a glorious beacon of lightDonny997 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Share your Concerta Success Stories

Haha jesus.. sorry for the unnecessary bump but I clicked in this thread expecting there to be 10 pages of glowing personal vignettes. 1 positive review? Hurray. Did I hear a clap in the back of the room?

Come on people... if there are positive responders to Concerta please share your experience and challenges!
Old 05-17-15, 11:24 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there is an entire subforum dedicated to Concerta and this thread is 8 years old...

I take Concerta 18 mg for about an year now and I'm doing fine. I need to take a beta-blocker for elevated bp, but it's ok. I'm definitely better at work, my bosses are more satisfied with me and I'm more pleasant and sociable when medicated, as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Donny997 (05-18-15)
Old 05-27-15, 10:55 AM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

Methylphenidate in general has a beneficial effect for me. I just have to take weekends/off days from the medication every week to avoid tolerance.

The difference when I'm on my meds and not on my meds is night and day.

Meds = tasks get done more efficiently, less procrastination, more organization, better planning, less of an "overwhelmed" feeling when multiple events are hitting me at once. Yesterday I managed to actually sit down and finish a work report I had been struggling to complete, because I was actually able to resist distractions.

No Meds = distracted by things, people, cell phone, my own amusing thoughts, fidgeting, disorganized, impulsive (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not!) and shiny things in general.

Drawbacks = I can become somewhat of a work drone. Methylphenidate really clears all of the cobwebs out of my brain, maybe to the point where it would be nice to have one or two amusing thoughts now and then

I just started taking Concerta again as of yesterday. Before I was just taking the IR formulation and had to dose 2-3x per day. The come-on is much smoother, more sustained, and doesn't peak quite as hard. But it's nice not having to remember to dose multiple times, as I have quite enough things to keep track of at work.

I've been on stimulant meds in one form or the other (with short breaks) for about 8 years now. I also took them for a couple of years before that, so its been about 10 years of taking stims for me in total. I suffer no ill effects from the medication, and I've always used them as prescribed. My life has take a positive turn since getting help for my ADHD, so I definitely say I am a success story when it comes to treatment.
Old 05-27-15, 01:29 PM
Contributor

Powderbucket is a jewel in the roughPowderbucket is a jewel in the roughPowderbucket is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncingoffwall View Post

Drawbacks = I can become somewhat of a work drone. Methylphenidate really clears all of the cobwebs out of my brain, maybe to the point where it would be nice to have one or two amusing thoughts now and then
I know what you mean.

Concerta has really had such a positive effect on me, but I do miss a little bit of "myself" from time to time. It does creep in every now and again, like once the meds have worn off.
Old 05-27-15, 02:48 PM

Thanked 1,611 Times in 886 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on Concerta for 4 years at first at 54 mg now 36 mg and I JUST discovered (from the thread 'Feeling "inward"' started by willow129 on the Concerta subforum) that Concerta (really all stims) can cause feelings of anhedonia/depression/blah. Google it.

Check the thread out!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.