ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-29-05, 01:41 AM

velvetrevolver is on a distinguished road
Question First Visit To Forum

Hi, this is my first post on this website. I am currently trying to get information about schools who accept people with ADD. After years and years of health problems, most of them out of the way, I find myself with no friends whatsoever. I just finished having a pituitary tumor removed and am still on sick leave for a couple of days, but I've mainly recovered, so now I spend most of my time on the couch trying to get the motivation to do something. I go back to work at a dead end job Tuesday. I look forward to meeting new people and trying to get help for my problems.
Old 10-29-05, 02:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

prumont is on a distinguished road
Hi
Welcome to the forums! You'll find many kind & supportive people here, they understand the kinds of problems you face with add. Hope your recovery continues well & that you feel better soon.
cheers

"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-01-05, 01:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,426 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD forums, velvetrevolver!

All Universities could accept people with ADHD
You should, first, look at schools that offer what you want to major in. Second, look at their disability services.

See if their disability services offer what you need. Talk w/ people in the major (students and profs) and talk w/ disability services staff.

Then decide what schools work best for you and apply to them.

However, most schools won't necessarily help you w/ your problems (a good doc can do that), but will help you w/ accomodations to help you succeed in school.

Most schools don't have a psychiatrist/psych on campus (I've never heard of a campus having one, but you never can tell), you will, more likely than not, have to go through your own insurance.

Best wishes!

PS.
When you have time, feel free to introduce yourself in New Member Intro!
http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)

Last edited by livinginchaos; 11-01-05 at 02:13 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 09:01 AM

Justin has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos
Most schools don't have a psychiatrist/psych on campus (I've never heard of a campus having one, but you never can tell), you will, more likely than not, have to go through your own insurance.
My school has a psych service ... so maybe larger schools are more likely to have them (my school has over 60 000 students)?
Old 11-03-05, 08:43 PM

Chronomancer is on a distinguished road
I attened the Univeristy Of New Orleans ( UNO) we have an excellent program for ADD. I get to take my exams in a testing center inside a quiet room with all the time i want. I Recomend getting the univeristies program in writen form so no confusion.