ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 10-18-05, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Smile Share your Strattera Success Stories

A lot of posts on the negatives of Strattera recently.

Please share with us your successes of taking Strattera.
- What dosage works for you?

- What was your titration (dosage path; i.e. 10mg to 18mg to 25mg)and how long to reach your target dosage?

- What was the single most benefit of taking Strattera?
* Please do not post anything negative. As moderator, I will edit the content or remove the post.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timh For This Useful Post:
baasje91 (02-16-17), ChillMike04 (05-26-10), Raye (05-27-12)
Old 10-18-05, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

bcaddkid is on a distinguished road
wow...where to start....so much good, so little bad...as far as I can tell.

Dosage wise: We're still figuring that one out. I'm part of a Strattera study (quickest way to get in to see the best ADD experts around, and a good way of getting free meds for 6 months ) It's working well so far. Right now, I'm at 40mg, starting at 25mg for one week, then 40, and I find out what we up it to tomorrow. Still haven't figured out target dosage, but we will.

There's so many benefits to Strattera for me. I can follow through on a single thought at a time. I get things done. I'm more organized, from my writing to using an agenda, something I simply couldn't do before the drug. I'm basically a different person. I can focus during workouts, I can take notes in lecture. To my parents, I sound like a happier, more focused, more content version of ME on the phone. I haven't changed who I am, just worked out the kinks that made "me" not work so well in many situations, mainly school.

Oh ya, since Strattera, I've lost at least 10 lbs, and I went from Academic Probation to "on my way to the ****ing Dean's List"...in one semester. 2 of my favourites. 2 more quick things: I drink less coffee, and I can kinda tell when girls hit on me.

Strattera makes me a better version of me, not a zombie, and that's why I choose to use it.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bcaddkid For This Useful Post:
ADD_Serpent (05-18-17), Awreatha (04-12-16), baasje91 (02-16-17), Beset (11-30-14), Bikie (03-26-11), brentdotcom (02-25-12), Jade Sea (04-20-11), Khyliene (02-27-13), Leviathan99 (06-15-14), Mignon (02-04-11), Nick The Newbie (04-18-11), Slimmm (09-19-19)
Old 10-18-05, 08:54 PM

mymind is on a distinguished road
Thank God for this thread, thank you Tim!! I have started on Strattera almost 3 weeks ago and am up to 60mg, started at 25, then to 50. I am to stay on 60 throughout this month til I go back to the doc on Nov. 11. Then I find out what and when. To date, I haven't really noticed any change in myself.
When I first started I had some nasty side effects, but they have basically said ciao at this point. I just can't wait for something positive to happen in which i will feel better. I do know it may take awhile, but I am more than willing to give this a chance! I hope to reply back to this thread at some point with positive results.
Thanks again for this...it means a lot!
Donna
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mymind For This Useful Post:
Awreatha (04-12-16), brentdotcom (02-25-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 11:51 PM

Tedd is on a distinguished road
Share your Strattera success stories

I started on Strattera June 16, 2005. 1st week - 25mg 2nd week 40 mg 3rd week 60 mg and ever since. I have a medication checkup Dec. 4. My doctor believes 60 mg is the optimum dosage.

My adjustment was smooth. The side affects were mild as listed. About the 3rd week I felt the medication was losing its affectiveness around late afternoon. I take it first thing in the morning. But the bottoming out effect only lasted for a little while, maybe a week or so and not every day. Since then I have had a steady sense of support with my concentration, and over- all sense of energy, and I have just felt good throughout the day. day.

Main benefits: concentration; better toleration with frustration; steady energy throughout the day instead of some ups and downs for no reason, especially when I have to give presentations; overall feeling better in my skin, instead of what some people thought was some feelings of depression in me, but I viewed as quite differently--more just not feeling well at times. That is gone. I haven't felt this good my whole life--51 years.

An interesting, couple surprising benefits: I used to endure going down waterslides, like I had to brace myself the whole way down; now I enjoy every turn it takes with no compulsion to control the experience. This serves as a metaphor for how life has changed for me in general. I also have had a lifelong fear of heights that seems to be much more moderate.

Tedd
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tedd For This Useful Post:
ADD_Serpent (05-18-17), Awreatha (04-12-16), Beset (11-30-14), brentdotcom (02-25-12), Slimmm (09-19-19)
Old 12-02-05, 01:56 PM

KingofArg has disabled reputation
Smile

I started out at 40 mg for a week and then 60 mg the second week. Then an insurance snafu caused me to switch to Ritalin for a week, then a week off meds, then a new doctor. After that I was on 40 mg in the morning for 6 weeks. I noticed a drop in effectiveness in the afternoon when it seemed to wear off. So just the other day I switched to 2, 25 mg pills. The single 25 mg morning pill gave noticeably less positive effects. So I'm moving towards taking the pills together.

Strattera definitely helps me focus. I was newly diagnosed with adult ADD at 32. So I did not have much of a meds history. The main benefit is staying on task. I listen much better to people. I can walk into another room and not forget why I went there. I complete tasks like organizing and cleaning, a little better. There is not so much chatter in my head. The change is amazing. Though I'm not perfect, and no medicine will ever make anyone perfect. I quit all caffiene also. Starterra gives me some energy for about 6 hours. Mixing it with coffee made me too jittery. I also noticed that the caffiene decreased some of the positive effects of Strattera.

One of the reasons I upped my dose was to try to get more of an effect. The 40 mg gave me definite positive effects within 3-4 days of taking it. 60 mg gave me unacceptable urinary side effects. Almost all of my side effects went away after 3 weeks on 40 mg. I think slowly bumping my dose up over a matter of months with prevent the side effects from coming back.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KingofArg For This Useful Post:
ADD_Serpent (05-18-17), Awreatha (04-12-16), brentdotcom (02-25-12), kattsqueen (04-09-09), Slimmm (09-19-19)
Old 02-26-06, 05:09 PM

killer is on a distinguished road
Going on 2 years...

My life was a horror. After 23 years of being married, 2 kids in college, I got the news that it was over. I ststed therapy and was prescribed Strattera. It was a while ago, but I think it was 25 for a few days, 40 for a couple of weeks and now I have been on 60mg ever since.
I'm going to celebrate my 25th anniversary on March 15th, 1 kid out of college and working (YAY!) and one finishing her junior year in college.
I am at a new job after 10 years with another company, and I don't feel stupid, can concentrate better and things are all around much better.
I have never been good with spreadsheets, reading #'s and stuff like that. When I meet with the Executive team quarterly for 2 off-site full days, I double up to 120mg.
It really helps. As a matter of fact, I am going to go back to the Dr. and see if it is OK to up my mg.
I'm 52 and had a heart attack at 42. So when I was diagnosed I was put on Strattera because it was a non-stimulant.
So far it is great.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to killer For This Useful Post:
Awreatha (04-12-16), brentdotcom (02-25-12), Jade Sea (04-20-11), M2Snewo (06-01-12), SherriLynn913 (09-26-13), Slimmm (09-19-19)
Old 03-05-06, 07:09 PM
Jr Member

Pipo has disabled reputation
Thank You All So Much!

WOW!

Thank you all so VERY much for this positive postings about Strattera!
I had to wait a while but in 3 days now I will get my first Strattera.

I was very doubtfull because of all the bad news I read.
But after trying so many other meds, and nothing worked,
I wanted to try it anyway.
Thanks to your positive postings about Strattera it gives me hope again!

I can't wait to start!

Thanks again!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pipo For This Useful Post:
Awreatha (04-12-16)
Old 03-09-06, 04:33 PM

Peaberry is on a distinguished road
I started out on 40 mg about 3 1/2 months ago, and my dossage has not changed. My doctor told me not to expect any noticeble effects for a couple of weeks, possibly up to 6 weeks. After 5 days on the stuff, my work productivity increased by 25%-30%, and my work accuracy increased significantly. I have to keep track of what I work on, how long I spend on it, and such details. My job log for one day was typically 1 full page per day. It went to 1 1/4 to sometimes 2 pages per day, with much fewer revisions necessary.

I used to always feel anxious and confused about what I was doing unless I had a procedure memorized. Then I would go through the work mechanically without taking into account any exceptions for a paricular job, which always come up. I now feel like clockwork when I do my job. I always know what the next step is to be taken, and work through a job without a hundred small (or large) pauses to regain my bearings. I cant believe that the rest of the world has always felt like this. It blows my mind to think what I could have done with my life if I had ever done homework in school, or bothered to read a book all the way through.

I had some nauseousness in the begining, and I keep a jar of peanuts in my desk and eat a handfull whenever a wave hits me. My mouth was almost allways dry the first two months, so I sucked on cough drops frequently.

It has been a positive life changing event for me.

Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peaberry For This Useful Post:
Awreatha (04-12-16), brentdotcom (02-25-12), Slimmm (09-19-19)
Old 03-14-06, 05:08 PM
Jr Member

wburgs has disabled reputation
Day 1

As I understand it, it takes a little time for the full effects of this medication to kick in and the side effects to wear off?

Plan is 25mg for one week, 40 for week after that, 80 from that point forward.

Yesterday at dinner time, I took my first pill, and then one this morning. Here's what's happened so far:
1. Didn't sleep worth a cr*p! Took two 3 hour naps with a three hour wake period in between.
2. Mild to moderate nausea all night a good portion of today. (although I hear that fades with time?)
3. Definate decrease in sexual abilities
4. Somewhat dazed feeling during the day (but that might be attributed to the sleep)
5. Seemed to have good focus during the day, got a lot of work done at work, stuff I'd been dreading doing for a while because of the level of work.

So, at this time, I'd say, I'm mixed on what I think of it. I do seem to be able to concentrate a bit better. But I want to wait a few weeks to make up my mind on that.

Think I'll try to get some sleep when I get home from work.
Old 03-21-06, 06:19 PM

dlouise is on a distinguished road
more men have success?

I am wondering about the gender balance of the successful stories, I wish people had identified whether they were men or women...

Anyone?
Old 03-22-06, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
So far the total is 6 males and one female. You can click on the member's name and choose View Public Profile.

The 6 males include myself.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
Old 03-22-06, 03:51 PM

dlouise is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip re: the profile. Somewhere I read (on this forum? can't remember) that men seemed to do better with Strattera than women did.

Interesting!
Old 03-23-06, 04:24 PM

Jrojas is on a distinguished road
I just started on Strattera yesterday. I noticed some of the same issues that wburgs was having.

1. I slept so bad last night. I kept waking up every hour or so.
2. Sexually I don't feel as interested.
3. I feel a bit calmer. Not so jittery. Last night when my girlfriend and I were watching tv I kept quite. Usually I start talking and she has to shut me up.
4. I feel better... I really hope this continues to get better.
5. Focus seems to be a bit better.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-06, 08:20 PM

Chaos has disabled reputation
Smile

I was diagnosed last week with ADD after a series of IQ tests, Therapy sessions and a lengthy meeting with my General Practitioner. At 45, I have been experiencing all the symptoms mentioned on this forum:
Scattered thoughts, difficulty concentrating, edgy, impossible to stay on task and much more. It was almost as if my brain was a TV set and someone else had the remote control and just kept constantly switching channels. It was horrible.
I took my first dose of Strattera today, 40 mg. I thought it would take awhile (days) to get in my system but that has not been the case. Within 90 minutes I have experienced remarkable clarity.
My brain is on one channel and I am absolutely in control.
I haven't jumped out of my skin when my dog barks (noises have always driven me crazy).
Side effects are minimal, I extremely thirsty, no appetite and I hope I don't have trouble sleeping tonight.
It's remarkable. I never would have imagined being able to feel this way! I'm not rambling on when engaged in conversation, this is great

I will update in the next few days....

Gryphonfyre (02-21-16), Slimmm (09-19-19)
Old 03-29-06, 12:14 AM

michmomto3 is on a distinguished road
My twin sons, age 6.5, are both on Straterra. My doc told us that Straterra hardly ever works for kids but that she liked to try it first because it is a non-stimulant. We started low...can't remember exactly, but ended up with 25mg for each after about a month or so. The effect on them was amazing, they did better at school, they slept better, all was good.

This lasted for about a year and then one of my sons, Adam, started having issues with hyper stuff at school. That was new, before it was inattentive at school and hyper at home. We told our new doc and she switched him to concerta. After a dosage change or two the hyper issue stopped, but so did his attention. We waited about 2 months and then I insisted on going back to Straterra. Things are nearly back to normal (as close as we get to it anyway) now.

I love Straterra!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michmomto3 For This Useful Post:
kjb1971 (01-28-14), SonicHedgehog (09-15-12)