ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-19, 04:01 PM
Contributor

lostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the rough
Brain teasers & games

I hate them. It's like being back in school and having no clue where to even start, and, once again, giving up in frustration. Same with crosswords. You have to be up on celebrates and other things that don't interest me. Word games remind me that I can't spell. Cards or board games? I always forget the rules, which direction we are going, etc. I find most games stressful.
Anyone else?

Dx: Alcoholism, ADHD, PTSD & Major
Depression

Meds: Ritalin, and Wellbutrin. Med list may change without notice, because I don't notice stuff.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lostranslation For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-21-19), Greyhound1 (06-21-19), Lunacie (06-22-19), namazu (06-21-19), stef (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 06:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brain teasers & games

trivia games are fun, and gin and cribbage; but some games are just pure torture. chess, how can i see ahead and plan a strategy, i dont even know if it's my turn.

The worst for me though, are those logic puzzles and suduko.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-21-19), Greyhound1 (06-21-19), Little Missy (06-22-19), Lunacie (06-22-19), namazu (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 09:00 PM
Contributor

lostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the roughlostranslation is a jewel in the rough

All of them are torture, except maybe "Mousetrap!" which was fun to put together and watch all the crazy things happen before the trap falls. It was more of a toy than a game. I never understood the "five moves ahead" thing in chess. How can you do that when you don't know what your opponent is going to do? Baffling. Cribbage has numbers and counting, and some sort of mathematical comparison or operation that just doesn't compute.

Dx: Alcoholism, ADHD, PTSD & Major
Depression

Meds: Ritalin, and Wellbutrin. Med list may change without notice, because I don't notice stuff.

Last edited by lostranslation; 06-21-19 at 09:18 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lostranslation For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-21-19), Greyhound1 (06-21-19), namazu (06-21-19), stef (06-22-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-19, 09:11 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,418 Times in 10,804 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I love crosswords (like the Sunday NYTimes puzzle, which doesn't rely too heavily on knowledge of celebrities) and enjoy some logic puzzles and games like Scrabble. Sudoku's not my thing.

I was so-so at dodgeball -- not terrible, but I'm not super-coordinated. I think I enjoyed it, for the most part, though some kids were...not gentle with their throws.

Card games tend to be tough for me due to the working-memory aspect. Remember which cards have already been played while working out who still has what, and figuring out what I'm going to do next? Not likely!

Last edited by namazu; 06-21-19 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: dodgeball, not volleyball -- whoops!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-21-19), Greyhound1 (06-21-19), Lunacie (06-22-19), stef (06-22-19)
Old 06-21-19, 10:08 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,343 Times in 7,817 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I really only liked physical games growing up. Things like tag, hide and go seek, Marco Polo, kickball, red-rover, basketball I was obsessed with and I loved dodge ball. And yes, I was one of those jerks who’s throws were far from gentle in dodge ball. I was trying to take everyone out. Nailing people is what made the game fun for me.

Physical games were always much much enjoyable than mental games. They got me overly excited and my adrenaline pumping. Mental games usually made me frustrated, bored and or feel stupid.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-21-19), Little Missy (06-22-19), Lunacie (08-27-19), namazu (06-21-19), stef (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 08:23 AM

Thanked 22,374 Times in 12,048 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

just thinking of mental games puts my mind on perma BLOCK.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-22-19), Greyhound1 (06-22-19), namazu (06-22-19), stef (06-22-19)
Old 06-24-19, 03:01 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually love them. I'm not good at them. I suck for many of the reasons you mentioned. Especially at board games. I just can't remember the rules or game states etc. Sometimes it's embarrassing but i still Love them. I'm not very competitive so I don't mind sucking or losing.

I love Scrabble and that's one thing I'm not too shabby at (if you let me have thirty minutes every turn to come up with an xyz triple score word).

No one ever plays anything with me though. I mean I don't know anyone interested in games. I go through phases where I waste hours playing word games or similar online and recently I was heavily into escape game apps. I love brain teasers and quizzes as well but again I'm not great at them
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-25-19), namazu (06-24-19), stef (06-24-19)
Old 06-24-19, 03:05 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I really only liked physical games growing up. Things like tag, hide and go seek, Marco Polo, kickball, red-rover, basketball I was obsessed with and I loved dodge ball. And yes, I was one of those jerks who’s throws were far from gentle in dodge ball. I was trying to take everyone out. Nailing people is what made the game fun for me.

Physical games were always much much enjoyable than mental games. They got me overly excited and my adrenaline pumping. Mental games usually made me frustrated, bored and or feel stupid.
I loved loved loved dodge ball (or the variation that we played). I was a pudgy, clumsy girl in primary school who always got picked last but suddenly when I was ten or so something clicked and suddenly just knew how to catch the ball. From then on you could not get me out anymore (I still got picked last, because people just assumed that I'd suck at it, which annoyed me to no end). I was genuinely sad when I realised that you don't play dodge ball in secondary school and of course I suxked at all the regular games.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-25-19), namazu (06-24-19), stef (06-24-19)
Old 06-24-19, 04:22 PM

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
oh dear, everything except the first two were my personal hell. All of that clamor and yelling and running around! Yet for some reason i enjoyed "field hockey" (with the plastic hockey sticks, and we had to wear those goggles). and bowling. i would have liked softball, if i didn't suck at it so much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-25-19), Lunacie (08-27-19), namazu (06-24-19)
Old 08-27-19, 08:18 AM

MickeMouseFan will become famous soon enough

I play 30 minutes of Lumosity everyday. Quite fun and most games are usually take less than 2 minutes each. Quick and easy brain gym.
Old 08-27-19, 12:11 PM

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I liked being included in the playground games as a kid, although I wasn't very
good at them. As teens, my brother and I joined a bowling league and I enjoyed
that.

My hubby and I used to invite the gang over to play Dungeons and Dragons on
the weekends. If the weather wasn't too hot or wet we'd set up the badminton
net in the back yard and play out there for awhile. Then have some supper and
start the table top game.

A couple of weeks ago I took my granddaughter to the autism support group
meeting and some people at the next table were playing what looked very much
like D&D. I was going to go over and ask about it when our meeting ended, but
before that one of the guys at that table came over to talk to me. It was one of
my old game buddies from 25+ years ago! He had some people wanting to start
a new campaign if I was interested. Heck yeah. That's my kind of game.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-27-19)
Old 08-27-19, 02:13 PM

Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,150 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I like pictionary a lot. The one without the board. The rules are simple and you get to see how other people think a bit and how good they are at drawing. It's pretty funny sometimes.

I also like escape rooms. Been playing those a lot recently and I'm astounded by the creativity of the people who made the escape room games.

Chess is hard for me cause of how my mind wanders. I have to really focus to imagine the other persons future moves cause it slips from my mind so easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
stef (08-27-19)