ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-20-19, 05:21 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Article: FDA approves “device” to treat kids with adhd.

FDA signs off on first medical device for treating ADHD in children

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/3528271002/

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-21-19, 07:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,585 Times in 2,411 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Article: FDA approves “device” to treat kids with adhd.

The FDA says the Monarch eTNS*has several side effects —*drowsiness, an increase in appetite, trouble sleeping, teeth clenching, headache and fatigue — but no serious adverse events associated with its use.*

Teeth clenching IS a serious side effect. It means the treatment is inducing a state of anxiety. **** them we're not their lab rats. This is basically electric shock treatment.
Little Missy (04-21-19)
Old 04-21-19, 09:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
delivers a low-level electrical stimulation to the branches of the trigeminal nerve,
I've had neuralgia in that nerve and it's excruciating. Why on earth would you
want to deliberately stimulate the most painful nerve in the human body?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-21-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-19, 01:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
The FDA says the Monarch eTNS*has several side effects —*drowsiness, an increase in appetite, trouble sleeping, teeth clenching, headache and fatigue — but no serious adverse events associated with its use.*

Teeth clenching IS a serious side effect. It means the treatment is inducing a state of anxiety. **** them we're not their lab rats. This is basically electric shock treatment.
I respectfully disagree, and I generally think that the more options that exist, the better.

There's probably a technical definition that the FDA uses to determine what qualifies as a "serious" side effect. I'd imagine that the severity of the side effect also plays a role. My guess is that the teeth clenching wasn't severe enough to cause damage. Also, the parent could be instructed to discontinue the treatment if their kid is experiencing the teeth clenching.

Also, stimulant medications can certainly cause "trouble sleeping, teeth clenching," and other side effects. Similarly, virtually any medication/treatment has potential side effects, and these risks always need to be carefully weighed. While I'm not an expert, I haven't seen anything to indicate that this treatment is particularly dangerous compared to other forms of treatment.

And I don't think it's fair to compare it to electric shock therapy. These new types of devices are much safer and more targeted, and I actually thought about getting one for myself (for anxiety/insomnia treatment), but it wasn't covered by my insurance.