ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-18, 08:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
To medicate or not to medicate?

I finally saw my gp today to talk about the depression. We didn't talk much. He asked me to fill out a form and if there was any trigger and that was pretty much it. He has prescribed Citalopram. I've picked up the meds and now I'm wondering if I should take them or not.

Pro:
  1. i might feel better
  2. I will know i have tried everything to get out of this

Cons:
  1. side effects
  2. losing hope if they dont work
  3. definitely can't try for another baby for months si probably never
  4. discontinuation effects when i want to quit them
  5. feeling like a loser for not being able to help myself
  6. having to remember to take another medication
  7. having to remember to make regular appointments with my gp
  8. having to discuss this with my gp
  9. needing to take time off work to go to the gp, get the meds, etc

He also gave me a number to call to refer myself to counselling. I keep saying I don't want talk therapy but then I am disappointed when I don't get a chance to pour my heart out with my gp or psychiatrist. I feel like such a loser. Things aren't bad. I'm such a lucky person in so many ways. I've got a fuzzling. Why do I feel so crappy? More importantly, why can I not function well in spite of feeling crappy?

If I don't take the meds there is no reason why I would ever feel better. That's the main reason to take them I guess.

Last edited by Fuzzy12; 12-04-18 at 08:38 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (12-14-18), psychopathetic (12-04-18)
Old 12-04-18, 09:21 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,069 Times in 7,977 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: To medicate or not to medicate?

I'm in the "give the meds a try" side here. But at the same time I don't mean to put any pressure on you either. If you decide not to take them, I wont look down on you!

I've always been anti-meds. It's only in the past 5 or so years that I've started to take and stick with meds.
I'm on a mood stabilizer for my (bi-polar) depression...and though it sure doesn't fix me...it absolutely does keep me from hitting my serious lows I get myself into sometimes...and life is just a bit less "sucky" on them. There's a huge difference when I stop taking them...I can usually feel the difference after just a few days...like a cloud hovering over me...the world looks and feels darker off the meds.

Things have been tremendously difficult for you Fuzz Fuzz . And damn...you keep on pushing through...but holy hell has it been tough!
I'd be so freaking happy if these meds made the push...even just a tiny bit...easier for you.
You deserve to feel better. I know you have some self-esteem issues and that you're very hard on yourself (I'm the same way)...but dang it...you deserve better!
It's not a sign of weakness or anything that you might need some help with this stuff by using meds. Just as someone with a headache needs to take some pain meds...I wouldn't consider them weak for needing the meds either.

I'd love if I could get by without taking any meds...but it is what it is.

I'm a fan of you at least giving the meds a try.

(((Fuzzy)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-04-18)
Old 12-04-18, 09:57 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I know I really should. It just seems like a lot of effort for something that might not even work. I still think I can will myself out of this. I'd started running with the promise that if I stop I'd make an appointment with my gp. Did quite well for a few days but then didn't go for a run for four days. Today I couldn't get out of bed to get ready for work so I made that dreaded appointment. Now I'm thinking that I sort of kept that promise why not make another: I've got the meds at home now and If I stop running again I will take them.

Or I could just take them and continue running or whatever. I don't know. Maybe I've got nothing to lose by taking them but it just seems like a lot of effort for possibly no gain. I don't even manage to take the stimulants. I forgot again to take my second dose today even though the first dose really helped.

Maybe if I could just remember to take my stimulajts regularly I wouldn't need anti depressants?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (12-10-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-18, 11:16 PM
Jr Member

E-Rock is on a distinguished road

I feel for you.

The last few times I was at my psychiatrists office, I promptly talked myself out of expressing my actual feelings in the waiting room. Instead I had a 8 minute appointment with him, made some minimal small-talk, said everything was "all good", took my stimulant script and went back to feeling miserable.

Can I ask what your aversion to talk therapy is?

I've been avoiding it as well--I suspect that on some level I feel guilty/unworthy of taking up a therapists time...even though I'd be paying for it and that's what they do for a profession. That's just my stupid brain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E-Rock For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18), psychopathetic (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 02:35 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,069 Times in 7,977 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Rock View Post
That's just my stupid AWESOME SAUCE brain.
...Ummm...You spelt Awesome Sauce wrong.
Fixed it for you.

(((Bro Hug)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18)
Old 12-10-18, 08:41 AM

Thanked 5,588 Times in 2,413 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what to say Fuzzy. I pretty much can't take anything anymore and it's damn hard.

Meds aren't an indication of failure. So cross that one off the list.

Side effects - well lab rat - just facts

Give it a go - then you'll know for sure.
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18), Greyhound1 (12-10-18), psychopathetic (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 09:44 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I look at mental health issues as a life or death matter in most cases. Even if it doesnt seem to be it can flip on a dime. So with that in mind if nothing you do on your own works INCLUDING therapy- meds should be tried. If you are worried about meds you have to try therapy.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18), Greyhound1 (12-10-18), psychopathetic (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 12:04 PM

Thanked 11,491 Times in 6,081 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I say take em if you were diabetic n needed it would you be on the fence about it? I take citolopram it takes about 3 week to fully get into your system / blood stream so giving you a heads up your not like after 3 days how come this crap ain't working wtf?!! At the same time you have to wean off it or you will get sick in a week or so if you suddenly stop.its up to you but your depressed n it's not going away by itself we have established so instead of torturing oneself ya have to do something different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18), psychopathetic (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 06:23 PM
Jr Member

gateway is on a distinguished road

Hello there,

My little input:

I used to think like you, and thought that depressions were something "mental" that you can deal with, that and my pride, didn't really allow me to talk about how I felt to others, until my partner at the time suggested me to go and talk it with my GP, I finally gave up and talked to my GP about it, what the hell, nothing to lose... worse than what I was at that time, I couldn't have been.

Started on Prozac, then moved into a few other SSRIs... gained like 15 kgs, didn't help, SSRI are definitely not my thing.

Regarding the "losing hope", I am afraid that this would be a lot of trial error to see what works with you the best, in my case, none of the SSRI worked well.

What did the job for me at the end was Wellbutrin, then in 2017 when my life was "good" after one year of taking Wellbutrin I decided to go off... and bang... my life was a mess again

My point being, unfortunately our brains biochemistry is not balanced as it should be, perhaps not enough dopamine, or serotonin etc., it is a fact that took me a while to accept but I finally did accept it, and well, why should I discontinue a medicine that is helping me feel and be normal like others?

Considering even talking to your GP regarding your depressions is already a good step! You are not a loser for seeking for help, it takes a lot of courage to realize you need help, and to bring it to your doctor is a very brave thing to do.

I see you live in the UK, so I guess the weather doesn't help either, consider taking some Vitamin D during the winter season.

I would encourage you to give meds a try, the first step is done, realizing the problem! try looking for some coping strategies first and work something out with your GP.

I wish I knew about this forums years ago, depressions are a disease, but trust me, meds do work and help lot of people (including me), you are not alone.

Keep us posted!
The Following User Says Thank You to gateway For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18)
Old 12-10-18, 08:53 PM

Thanks guys. Haven't taken them yet. I thought I was doing a bit better. Exercising, doing christmassy stuff. I don't know. I've just gobbled up half a pack of biscuits so who knows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-10-18), Little Missy (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 09:46 PM

Thanked 22,381 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

When in doubt, go for the biscuits!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18), Greyhound1 (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 11:37 PM

Thanked 11,491 Times in 6,081 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I might be able to deal with the depression n anxiety w out meds but they help me from having meltdowns and not dwelling on stuff all day n being able to shut the tape off that would play over n.over in my head.im not so paranoid n bugged out w people n.public places
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 03:06 AM

I did it. I just took the first tablet. I'd said if I didn't manage to exercise regularly, I'd take anti depressants. Of course, I didn't manage so anti depressants it is.

I feel like ****. Sad. Not so much like a loser because I don't think there's anything wrong with taking or having to take medication but because now I don't think I'll be able to have another child.

They aren't going to work anyway, isn't it? I'm just desperate. Clutching at straws.
Old 12-13-18, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Rock View Post
I feel for you.

The last few times I was at my psychiatrists office, I promptly talked myself out of expressing my actual feelings in the waiting room. Instead I had a 8 minute appointment with him, made some minimal small-talk, said everything was "all good", took my stimulant script and went back to feeling miserable.

Can I ask what your aversion to talk therapy is?

I've been avoiding it as well--I suspect that on some level I feel guilty/unworthy of taking up a therapists time...even though I'd be paying for it and that's what they do for a profession. That's just my stupid brain.
I didn't find it useful. I don't need an outlet to just talk. I've got this place. Addf. It wasn't anything else. Just an opportunity to be heard and I didn't find that so useful.
Old 12-14-18, 12:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
They aren't going to work anyway, isn't it? I'm just desperate. Clutching at straws.
If it's going to work (and it doesn't always work), you'll probably need to wait a few weeks to see an effect. Just keep that in mind