ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-31-14, 10:05 AM

Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,013 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On fakin' it (ADD, not orgasms)

I haven't been tested by a psychiatrist, but my psychologist thinks I have a little ADHD.

I think I have it mildly. Anyways - that was a disclaimer.

The ADHD seeming symptoms that I can't fake - the things that I think don't happen to most other people: the brain-falling-asleep-but-I'm-still-awake thing that happens when I'm exhausted. The kicker is "exhausted" happens after a day of work. I work the same length workdays as others but...I'm so useless afterwards. I can't imagine that this type of braindeadness is normal, otherwise I don't see how people could sustain full-time jobs - I'm not sure I can sustain a full-time job. Maybe it's just that mine is tough. I don't know...there are variables...

The other thing I can't fake is misplacing things. I try really hard to put things back where they're supposed to go but....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Diony (05-31-14), MADD As A Hatte (05-31-14), Stevuke79 (05-31-14)
Old 06-01-14, 05:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,211 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADD As A Hatte View Post
Sigh. Why don't they have a special imperial-purple-coloured icon for ADD relo's on ancestry.com?????
lol.

OMG about your grandma!! omg.

I brought the above thing up here some months ago... but it was rather, running one's ancestry raw dna files though a free program called Promethease, which links SNPs to research papers... and seeing if there are markers related to ADHD.... and I was just askin if anyone had done it before-- not for everyone to do it-- WOOOOOooooo... a topic I will stay away from, from now on.

I have some ADHD relatives on my mom's side. My mom has it in a most definite way... as do my six siblings to different degrees. But it was my mother's biological great grandfather set the precedent for the insanity plea in Mississippi... and from reading the accounts of the things he did, it more appears the ADHD at work than insanity mind you, but he had a fancy daddy and a good doctor friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs. dobbs For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (06-01-14)
Old 06-01-14, 06:04 AM
Contributor

MADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant future
Cool Re: On fakin' it (ADD, not orgasms)

[quote=willow129;1653660
The other thing I can't fake is misplacing things. I try really hard to put things back where they're supposed to go but....[/QUOTE]

As soon as I find the bloody alarm clock Im looking for I'll reply to this post. The alarm clock is to get my pre-exam procrastination in check. Tick Tock tick tock ...

I CANT FAKE ADD PROCRASTINATION. It's a peculiarly sneaky varietal, involving very crafty techniques like:

- appearing to be doing something constructive whilst in fact you're just FAFFING AROUND

- rewarding yourself for the aforementioned "constructive" task

- admonitioning yourself for wasting time, then beginning something else because "there's not enough time right now" to do what you were supposed to be doing originally

- getting to the room you were heading to to begin the "something else", and then substituting yet another task because you have EXACTLY NO CLUE what you came there to do

- giving up in frustration, returning to your computer, all the while banging on at yourself, nside your head about "JUST GET IT TOGETHER, for gods sake"

- and finding yourself writing up an ADD post instead of - ah yes, I remember now - writing up my exam study plan for the next 16-days

OK, super, back on track now, onwards & upwards ... hmmm, who said that? Wiki wiki wiki ...

AAAAAAAAUGH!!!

ADHD explained. UNC Burnett Lectures
Dr Russell Barkley - 2012
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...ssell-barkley/

Dr Patricia Quinn - 2011 - ADD in girls and women.
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...atricia-quinn/

MADD as a Hatter. Bull in a china shop. The angel who rushed in where fools feared to tread. That just about says it all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MADD As A Hatte For This Useful Post:
mrs. dobbs (06-01-14), tazoz (06-01-14), willow129 (06-01-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 04:59 AM
Contributor

MADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant future
Cool Re: On fakin' it (ADD, not orgasms)

Not strictly en pointe, but I can't fake being young any more.

My darling little baby boy turns 18 tomorrow. 11th June 2014. Sigh. That makes me officially middle aged, doesn't it?

I remember when we were in the house in Eddy Avenue, he was 4 ... I'd tuck The Little Bloke into bed at night in his tidied-up bedroom, with Teddy snuggled in beside him. (Poor Woody had gotten lost, long before). I'd get up at about 2am, and sneak in to smoothe my sweet little sons's hair, and give him a kiss. As one does.

Then in the morning, I'd wake up and go in to get him up for breakfast and preschool ... only to find Teddy dangling precariously off the pillow, and The Little Bloke unconscious on the carpet, arm outstretched. Next to him, Captain Buzz Lightyear would be standing enthus-officiously to attention, and in total astronautical command of The Spaceship.

WHAT? What spaceship?

Captain Lightyear's arm would be thrust eastward. I would crouch down, and follow his pointing finger ... and there it was ... a full size Lego Millenium Falcon which sure as **** wasn't there at 2:30am when I last went in!!

The Little Bloke would do this almost every night. He would build perfect complicated Lego constructions, from memory, at high speed, during the wee hours. At age FOUR.

I believe it ought to be in the DSM-Vi for ADD Children, the disrupted sleep patterns, the Lego hyper-focus, the sauvant-like ability with putting things together.

As I said before, I can't fake being an ADD parent with ADD offspring.

And dammit, I still can't fake emotional dysregulation. Happy Birthday Little Bloke, she says, wiping tears off her cheeks.

TO INFINITY, AND BEYOOOOOND ...

MADD as a Hatter. Bull in a china shop. The angel who rushed in where fools feared to tread. That just about says it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to MADD As A Hatte For This Useful Post:
someothertime (06-10-14)
Old 06-11-14, 02:11 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADD As A Hatte View Post
I thought nothing of it until a few days ago, when a student raised it in a tute in the context of people "faking their ADHD". I burst out laughing. As you do. And when the lecturer asked me why I couldn't take it seriously (the concept that people can fake ADD), I started to say "Well, it'd be really hard to sustain it, over the long haul. You'd forget to do it sometimes."
Brilliant!!

I think, they keypoint is "over the long haul". Short term I'm pretty sure I can fake all my symptoms or at least fake having them. I'm not sure I could fake day dream when I don't feel like day dreaming but I don't think it would be too difficult to pretend that I'm day dreaming while I'm actually thinking about something super productive and useful.

But then ADHD is diagnosed based on long term consistent symptoms so while you can maybe fake the symptoms you can't really fake having ADHD, I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (06-14-14)
Old 06-11-14, 04:11 PM

mamaclairbear will become famous soon enough

I don't see why people would WANT to fake this. I mean I get it, but I don't GET it. This is hell and I can't imagine any neurotypical person wanting to even set foot in my head or even act like they could.

Some things that would be impossible to fake in the long run:

Dang it... I had an entire list running in my head and I've gone and forgotten it.

I guess that would be the first one, forgetfulness. I'm not talking about the occasional 'oh darn, I left the keys in the house' type, I'm talking about forgetting what you were saying mid-sentence. Or I forgot my keys, I think they are in my purse, WHERES MY PURSE, finally finding said purse after an hour of searching, go back out to car, realize you still don't have your keys AFTER your bum hits the seat, go back to house to look for keys, spend another hour looking for the keys, finally just give us and ask your husband to find them... And he calmly goes to the key hook (that you put up so you wouldn't forget your keys) and violia there they are.

Constantly feeling like you really are lazy because you can never seem to get anything accomplished.

The inability to make your brain just stop.

Not understanding social ques/ not getting whats funny/ being 'creepy'

There are so many more but my brain is currently giving me the finger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamaclairbear For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-11-14), MADD As A Hatte (06-14-14), willow129 (06-17-14)
Old 06-13-14, 11:29 PM
Contributor

HADDaball has disabled reputation

OK I'm going to do some work now...

hang on.. i need to brush my teeth first.. (goes off to brush teeth)

i'll just do this one more thing...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HADDaball For This Useful Post:
blamp28 (06-25-14), MADD As A Hatte (06-14-14), willow129 (06-17-14)
Old 06-17-14, 05:48 PM

willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

I forget what I'm saying mid-sentence all the time!!!! It's so weird.

I feel like it makes people respond like ....hello?? where did you just go?? Yes?? Finish your sentence!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (06-18-14), Stevuke79 (06-17-14)
Old 06-17-14, 06:01 PM

You know, it was really interesting...I video taped myself teaching today and I realized, from watching me, that I literally have 15 BILLION things running through my head all the time that I'm monitoring, checking on, redirecting, assessing...and I feel like sometimes things don't go fast enough in class and I need to pick up the pace...and I DEFINITELY get distracted and get on tangents which I could see happening in my videos...I get distracted by what my kids are doing sometimes...(I had one instant where I literally stopped in the middle of a sentence to do some really intense staring at a kid who wasn't following my directions. He fixed it once he noticed but then I had to pick up where I left off and I had completely forgotten what I was talking about.....I think that's also a larger symptom of new teacher classroom management though.)

but it seems like actually things go by pretty quickly, I mean not blazing fast pace for sure but things that I felt like took an eternity were actually not too long

the other thing I noticed is I twitch even when I'm totally absorbed in something like teaching, and I have no idea I'm doing it. I am constantly moving around and fidgeting...it's fairly unrelaxed. Watching me I'm somewhat surprised no one ever thought I had ADHD, if I saw a kid behaving like me the ADHD bells would definitely be going off.
The Following User Says Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (06-18-14)
Old 06-25-14, 03:41 PM
Jr Member

blamp28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
Just one example: Imagine being engrossed in a conversation, and then still having the capacity to completely forget what you were talking about. When I think about it, when I'm medicated I don't think I could pull that one off. It's not something you could practically pretend to do without significant and constant focus -
How's that for Irony? In order to FAKE a disorder in which it is a hallmark to lack focus, One would have to be supremely focused. To the astute ADHD educated observer, the actions of an intensely focused individual with a fleeting loss of focus would in fact, expose this person as a fake. WOW. I think I like the new meds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blamp28 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-25-14), MADD As A Hatte (06-26-14)
Old 06-25-14, 03:47 PM
Jr Member

blamp28 is on a distinguished road

On a more serious note - I think if one were to try to fake all of the thousands of thoughts, sounds, daydreams, epiphanies etc. that my brain encounters in an average hour and try to make sense of it all day in and day out, it would be exhausting. If I did not have the hyperactivity component, it would waste me too.
The Following User Says Thank You to blamp28 For This Useful Post:
MADD As A Hatte (06-26-14)
Old 06-26-14, 02:02 AM
Contributor

Angry Re: On fakin' it (ADD, not orgasms)

On a less serious not. I can't fake the simple **** ups at work. Things that can get you fired.

Like putting out a rate card with price increases with a basic wrong calculation.

And I can't fake that the FIRST PERSON who sees it and phones immediately to point out the mistake to the business owner, is our most snotty, condescending, patronising **** OF A CUSTOMER.

Aaaaaugh I HATE A D D I HATE A D D I HATE A D D ....

Idiotically yours,
MADD As A ******* HATTER

Last edited by MADD As A Hatte; 06-26-14 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: anger mismanagement roarrrrrr
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MADD As A Hatte For This Useful Post:
Fortune (06-26-14), stef (06-26-14), willow129 (06-30-14)
Old 06-30-14, 07:14 PM
Jr Member

HXofADHD.W/F76 is on a distinguished road

Um yeah, I can relate. My mouth opens before the brain engages and BOOM f-bomb! Well I guess I'm gonna be a doctor who cusses a lot. Maybe I should rethink specializing in pediatrics :-)
Old 06-30-14, 09:41 PM

MADD as a Hatte...oh my god I have been there!!! I'm sorry. **hugs!!** It's ok, people make mistakes sometimes. Ride the storm, it will hopefully be forgotten soon
Old 07-02-14, 08:24 AM

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I couldn't fake not being mad at moments for more that 36 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Fortune (07-02-14)