ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-13, 10:20 PM

cms2275 is on a distinguished road
Post What are your fidgets?

Hello all!

I've recently been diagnosed with ADD inattentive and one of the things I've found that this diagnosis has explained is my "fidgeting". I compulsively roll things up. Most of the time it is receipts that I find or get from purchases. I'll roll them and re roll them from the corners into tight little straws until the paper starts to disintegrate and I must start with a new piece. When I used to have a car others would find them littered about and people always commented on my fidget. Now that I'm in college I quickly ruin my textbooks and notebooks while reading and writing by rolling in the corners until the paper breaks down. But it helps me to focus on my reading or to work through my thoughts or pay attention to someone speaking.

In my first year of college last year I decided to see just how much I did this so I bought two big mason jars and put anything and everything I rolled up into them. 6 months in, I needed more jars.
In order to save the condition of my textbooks and basically everything else within reach that is capable of being rolled, I now carry around a sandwich bag full of old receipts on my person at all times.

What are some of y'all's quirky fidgets? What have you found that works for you?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cms2275 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (12-13-13), janiew (01-31-14), MX2012 (12-12-13), Stevuke79 (12-13-13)
Old 12-10-13, 11:22 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are your fidgets?

Anything I can get my hands on. I also tap my feet.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Allegra113 (12-11-13), BellaVita (12-11-13), Corina86 (12-11-13), daveddd (12-13-13), Stevuke79 (12-13-13)
Old 12-11-13, 12:01 AM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

Pens, Picks, or straws or strings to chew on. Or else, drumming my fingers or some sort of strange finger game.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eats_mice For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (12-11-13), daveddd (12-13-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-13, 06:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Anything I can get my hands on. I also tap my feet.
Same. Also anything I can chew or bite.
Old 12-11-13, 07:35 AM

Thanked 27,492 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

twisting hair, paperclips etc...
but I don't fidget much
Old 12-11-13, 09:57 AM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2275 View Post
Hello all!

I've recently been diagnosed with ADD inattentive and one of the things I've found that this diagnosis has explained is my "fidgeting". I compulsively roll things up. Most of the time it is receipts that I find or get from purchases. I'll roll them and re roll them from the corners into tight little straws until the paper starts to disintegrate and I must start with a new piece. When I used to have a car others would find them littered about and people always commented on my fidget. Now that I'm in college I quickly ruin my textbooks and notebooks while reading and writing by rolling in the corners until the paper breaks down. But it helps me to focus on my reading or to work through my thoughts or pay attention to someone speaking.

In my first year of college last year I decided to see just how much I did this so I bought two big mason jars and put anything and everything I rolled up into them. 6 months in, I needed more jars.
In order to save the condition of my textbooks and basically everything else within reach that is capable of being rolled, I now carry around a sandwich bag full of old receipts on my person at all times.

What are some of y'all's quirky fidgets? What have you found that works for you?
That is really interesting. How did you decide it was a fidget and not a compulsion? Would you stress out if you had no paper to roll, or would you just find another way to fidget?

If life was like the Walking Dead then stupid people are like the zombies. They eat your face and slowly walk all over the place and get in your way.

--sarahsweets

I'm oblivious.
Old 12-12-13, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleToes View Post
That is really interesting. How did you decide it was a fidget and not a compulsion? Would you stress out if you had no paper to roll, or would you just find another way to fidget?

If I don't have any paper to roll (which is rare) I find that I twist the ends of my hair or ball up loose threads on my clothing or blankets. It very well could be an overarching compulsion but it certainly is effective in my studying specifically.
The Following User Says Thank You to cms2275 For This Useful Post:
purpleToes (12-13-13)
Old 12-12-13, 06:00 PM
Contributor

Tulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to behold

I chew & pick at my fingernails, rub my thumbs on my other fingers, rub my scalp; I've done these since I was a kid. Now I don't go anywhere without knitting or crochet.

A friend took me to a Chicago Symphony concert & told me it would be rude to knit through it. I enjoyed the concert, but I missed my knitting & was very restless, to the point she told me to stop squirming. I would have enjoyed it more if I could have knit.

I don't flirt; I will seduce you with my awkwardness.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tulip7171 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (12-13-13), MX2012 (12-12-13), Pilgrim (09-26-14), purpleToes (12-13-13), Stevuke79 (12-13-13)
Old 12-12-13, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip7171 View Post
I chew & pick at my fingernails, rub my thumbs on my other fingers, rub my scalp; I've done these since I was a kid. Now I don't go anywhere without knitting or crochet.

A friend took me to a Chicago Symphony concert & told me it would be rude to knit through it. I enjoyed the concert, but I missed my knitting & was very restless, to the point she told me to stop squirming. I would have enjoyed it more if I could have knit.
I once went to an opera and was rolling the corners of the program booklet to pay attention because it was very long and very Italian. Half way through the woman next to me grabbed my hand and told me to stop. You can imagine the look that I gave her.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cms2275 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (12-13-13), namazu (12-12-13), Stevuke79 (12-13-13), Tulip7171 (12-13-13)
Old 12-12-13, 06:54 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I think one often-overlooked fidget, and one which I did a lot before medication, is talking. I used to be a nail-biter when I was a kid - I stopped when I was about 14.
Old 12-12-13, 07:10 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

cms2275

hmmm, I do fidget.

I like to keep moving. Sitting, I keep my legs moving by crossing and uncrossing my legs and swinging my leg or wiggling my foot. I do like to have a pen in my hand, I switch hands etc. I shift in my chair. I will pace or shift from one leg to another. Stuff like that. I try minimize it so as not to attract attention. Not sure I have a single predominant fidget.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MX2012 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (12-13-13), Tulip7171 (12-13-13)
Old 12-13-13, 07:55 AM

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

i thought i was the only chewer , i chew on everything

and rub my thumbs and fingers like tulip said
Anastasia (01-31-14), Tulip7171 (12-13-13)
Old 12-13-13, 05:22 PM

Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,802 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

As a kid I bit my nails, I had to touch everything I waked by (still do that one)..loose cuticles drove me NUTS. more recently twisting my hair. In college at one point I had this conspicuous bald spot in the center back of my head. Back then I otherwise had a full head of hair, and ironically now it's one of the few spots I still have hair I chew my lips, tongue, cheeks.

I've given up attempting to not fidget, .. I just make sure I take control of what I fidget with. When I notice I'm about to hair-pick I convert it to a quick rub/scratch of my head and put a pen in that hand. Telling a fidgeter to stop is the wrong approach - I think your only prayer is to redirect.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (07-05-14), Tulip7171 (12-13-13)
Old 12-13-13, 06:26 PM
Contributor

Tulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to beholdTulip7171 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2275 View Post
I once went to an opera and was rolling the corners of the program booklet to pay attention because it was very long and very Italian. Half way through the woman next to me grabbed my hand and told me to stop. You can imagine the look that I gave her.
Seriously?!

I thought it was rude when my friend told me to stop. I would have made a scene if a stranger had touched me. I probably would have screamed or smacked her.
I'm always telling my nieces no one has the right to put their hands on you without your permission.

I' a chewer too. I put stuff in my mouth I shouldn't way too often. (yes, yes, I know how that's sounds!)

I don't flirt; I will seduce you with my awkwardness.
Old 12-16-13, 06:39 PM

Wunderz is on a distinguished road

Hi I have not been by in a while, I came in to complain about the monthly routine for getting my meds that sometimes fails.... I'll find that area in a moment.

I do the classic knee bounce/jiggle.
The really bad one is that I click my mouse (left) click click. It bothers other people, but not me.

I also click my pen. I play with paper folding it and mutilating it, and I can't even explain that one..

I talk to myself and mutter and that gets me into trouble. All of these have gotten better as I get older but those are the biggies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wunderz For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (12-17-13)