ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-13, 10:17 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute
Question How to Clean My Room?

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before...sorry lol.

My room has been "messy" for the past 4-5 years, mostly due to me being away at school and people have been using it as a storage room of sorts.

Anyway, I've gotten most of the "storage" stuff out, but now I'm left with a big mess that I've created with my *own* stuff.

Any tips for getting it clean? It's a disaster, *especially* after I removed everything from under my bed. Oh, and I've tried cleaning it for hours and hours, but have gotten nowhere. I obviously lack strategy.

This mess is driving my OCD(yes, I have OCD haha) crazy and making sleep more difficult than it already is.

(dvdnvwls I know you're out there.. Help? )

Thanks!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-09-13), OhLookABunny (09-17-14), rickymooston (03-29-15)
Old 09-08-13, 10:37 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to Clean My Room?

My place is a total disaster. There's three chairs: one has been full of clothes and empty dresser drawers since the day after I moved in, the other is new and not unpacked from its little Ikea box, and the third one - well, I can't see it right now... But telling other people how to fix their place is super easy. I don't know why. I'm a very special brand of idiot?

Anyway...

You say you've gotten nowhere. What would be "getting somewhere"?
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 10:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I think arranging things by type really helps. I would make several stacks- books here, knick knacks there, etc.

Once you have things arranged that way it looks less overwhelming. Then, deal with one type of thing at a time. If you have some empty boxes around, use them to help you seperate things.

I often find that the hardest part of cleaning up mess is just that it looks so overwhelming.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 10:48 PM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

idk, but this might help a little bit

"Originally
Yes, it is definitely a characteristic of ADHD that it is more difficult for us to get housework done.

Things that help me:

1. Medication.

2. Figuring out what motivates me. For me it was music. So I put on music and sing and dance while cleaning. It really helps me.

3. Set a date and time. People with ADHD don't have the "It just needs to be done" brain switch. So it really helps if you have a date and time set, and you know you need to do it right then. I even set an alarm sometimes.

I work part-time, so with my ADHD counselor I worked out a housework schedulethat goes like this:
-I have an hour a day for picking up, dishes, laundry, and sweeping the floors on the days I work half-days,
-no housework on days I work full days, and
-one day of my two days off is for big cleaning, and I rotate the bathroom, mopping all the floors and dusting on that day.

Also I have a laundry day and a cat box day.

However, before I could get on that schedule we had to do a massive amount of cleaning and laundry, so now it's just upkeep and maintenance.

It took like two weeks to do all the laundry that was piled in the bedrooms and filling the closets. I still have some of that to put away, but now I've learned that we actually have too much clothes so we have to get rid of a bunch.

It's hard to tell what you have when most of it is under a five-foot-tall pile of dirty laundry.

And, um, that's a lot of pets...

Sounds like you have some hoarding tendencies.."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13), pooka (09-09-13)
Old 09-08-13, 10:55 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
My place is a total disaster. There's three chairs: one has been full of clothes and empty dresser drawers since the day after I moved in, the other is new and not unpacked from its little Ikea box, and the third one - well, I can't see it right now... But telling other people how to fix their place is super easy. I don't know why. I'm a very special brand of idiot?

Anyway...

You say you've gotten nowhere. What would be "getting somewhere"?
Haha, that's funny. It's okay, atleast you can help me!

Yes, I've gotten "nowhere" cuz it seems I've hardly made a dent. I often get distracted by all of my "objects" and end up messing around. Oh, and I usually try to put stuff up that I've gotten out after I've used it, but I just have so much stuff out already that it stays a big mess.

You ask deep (cleaning ) questions...I think getting somewhere would be being able to see clear patches of my floor. Heh...[lol sorry for all the corny puns!]
Old 09-08-13, 10:55 PM

Thanked 11,490 Times in 6,081 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

A dumpster n backpCk blower?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13), Flory (03-11-15)
Old 09-08-13, 10:58 PM

Thanked 11,490 Times in 6,081 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

My house is the wreck of the hesperass and half the time im so overwhelmed w the chaos I dont know where to start half the time.theres more to it but I dont feel l Iike talking about it right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 11:05 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
Haha, that's funny. It's okay, atleast you can help me!

Yes, I've gotten "nowhere" cuz it seems I've hardly made a dent. I often get distracted by all of my "objects" and end up messing around. Oh, and I usually try to put stuff up that I've gotten out after I've used it, but I just have so much stuff out already that it stays a big mess.

You ask deep (cleaning ) questions...I think getting somewhere would be being able to see clear patches of my floor. Heh...[lol sorry for all the corny puns!]
Don't apologize. If you asked all the people I know "What's he like?", you'd get quite a few different answers, but every one of them would say "Oh God the puns".

So... OK. I'm not that easy to persuade. Why do you want to see clear patches of floor?
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 11:08 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I think arranging things by type really helps. I would make several stacks- books here, knick knacks there, etc.

Once you have things arranged that way it looks less overwhelming. Then, deal with one type of thing at a time. If you have some empty boxes around, use them to help you seperate things.
Good idea! Thanks I'll do that!

And yep have got boxes left over from the storage stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I often find that the hardest part of cleaning up mess is just that it looks so overwhelming.
Yes. This. I get overwhelmed.
Old 09-08-13, 11:13 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamin22 View Post
idk, but this might help a little bit

"Originally
Yes, it is definitely a characteristic of ADHD that it is more difficult for us to get housework done.

Things that help me:

1. Medication. check!

2. Figuring out what motivates me. For me it was music. So I put on music and sing and dance while cleaning. It really helps me. Good idea!

3. Set a date and time. People with ADHD don't have the "It just needs to be done" brain switch. So it really helps if you have a date and time set, and you know you need to do it right then. I even set an alarm sometimes. Hmm. Interesting idea..

I work part-time, so with my ADHD counselor I worked out a housework schedulethat goes like this:
-I have an hour a day for picking up, dishes, laundry, and sweeping the floors on the days I work half-days,
-no housework on days I work full days, and
-one day of my two days off is for big cleaning, and I rotate the bathroom, mopping all the floors and dusting on that day. Rotation. THAT's a good one, thanks.

Also I have a laundry day and a cat box day. Ah, another good one.

However, before I could get on that schedule we had to do a massive amount of cleaning and laundry, <----that's where I am so now it's just upkeep and maintenance. <-----but would like that.

It took like two weeks to do all the laundry that was piled in the bedrooms and filling the closets. I still have some of that to put away, but now I've learned that we actually have too much clothes so we have to get rid of a bunch.

It's hard to tell what you have when most of it is under a five-foot-tall pile of dirty laundry.

And, um, that's a lot of pets...

Sounds like you have some hoarding tendencies.."
I replied in the quote with bold lettering. Thanks!
Old 09-08-13, 11:13 PM

Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,100 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Hire a man b**ch to do your bidding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13)
Old 09-08-13, 11:14 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
A dumpster n backpCk blower?
Hahahaha, I wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
My house is the wreck of the hesperass and half the time im so overwhelmed w the chaos I dont know where to start half the time.theres more to it but I dont feel l Iike talking about it right now.
Yeah, I feel ya'.
Old 09-08-13, 11:16 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Don't apologize. If you asked all the people I know "What's he like?", you'd get quite a few different answers, but every one of them would say "Oh God the puns".

So... OK. I'm not that easy to persuade. Why do you want to see clear patches of floor?
Is this a trick question? Lol, cuz 1) it's easier to walk through a clear foor and 2) It looks nicer and doesn't overwhelm me like a cluttered floor does.

I should probably mention, my floor is the messiest bit in my room. My counter and drawers are pretty clean/organized.
Old 09-08-13, 11:17 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Hire a man b**ch to do your bidding.
LOL! Don't have the cash. And don't like other people touching my stuff.
Old 09-08-13, 11:29 PM
Contributor

Tinatheawesome is a glorious beacon of lightTinatheawesome is a glorious beacon of lightTinatheawesome is a glorious beacon of lightTinatheawesome is a glorious beacon of lightTinatheawesome is a glorious beacon of lightTinatheawesome is a glorious beacon of light

You can buy bins to put things inside and use it as storage that way less junk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinatheawesome For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-08-13)