ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-12, 04:42 PM
Jr Member

hotrod480 is on a distinguished road
Alcohol and motivation

Quick background. Have severe depression at times where I am down for days at a time. Now I have the fortune or disfortune of not having to do anything if I so desire. However I greatly desire to make a difference in this worlth but at times my depression takes over. Now I have taken many antidepressants and mood stabilizer with no change and many side effects. I consider myslelf the small percentage of people that cannot take meds because they do not work for me.

Now I consider myself addicted to food, alcohol, and occasionally sex. Now food is my mind addiction because I have cravings or allergy at times where I cannot stop. Alcohol does not create cravings or allergic reaction, but I still consider myself having the "obsession of the mind if you will". Yes I go to AA meetings regularly and they do help sometimes.

Now what alcohol does for me is the next day has a trigger pulling me out of a depression and I am suddendly motivated even at 6:30 in the morning. We are talking after only 2-3 drinks which is 99% of the time all I drink even though I am 6" tall and weight 230. I go for weeks or months sometimes with out drinking. And no nothing bad has happened after drinking like getting a dwi or being arrested, but I still do not want to have to drink! I also no in the future my alcoholism could progress although if anything I drink much less than I use too. This is why I prefer OA meetings because I can relate much more to people. Although no matter how much I overeat I stay the same weight but am very scared I am going to develop diabetes in the future.

Now my theories are that the alcohol allows me to stuff my problems in my mind. Or my therapist thinks that it resets something in my brain allowing me to function again. Curious what other ADDers think and if anything else could help me other than alcohol.

Dextrine is the only add med that helps me regularly but regular use leads to severe side effects and severe anxiety. I do not want to drink, but I also know when I finally do that the next day will be better because I will get things done and be motivated.

Sorry for the long post....
The Following User Says Thank You to hotrod480 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-17-12)
Old 04-17-12, 04:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alcohol and motivation

Hey

I think addictive behaviour is quite common in ADHDers as a form of self medication. Throw depression into the picture as well and I guess, it just makes everything worse.

I'm not really sure why alcohol makes you feel better on the next day. It's the other way round for me. Do you sleep better after drinking, maybe? Or maybe like you said your need mind just needs a break from your problems desperately and recoups while you are drinking? I wonder, if there's a nutritional problem. Maybe it's the sugar. I really don't know. It's interesting but it seems counter intuitive to me. I think it might be worse discussing it with a doctor.

I'm sorry, I'm not very coherent at the moment. I'm kind of in a bad place myself. I hope someone else can help you out better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (04-17-12), Tabbycat (03-17-14)
Old 06-06-12, 05:15 AM

dws123 is on a distinguished road

The addictive behavior is so common in every person if anyone is addicted to the alcohol then it will be difficult to improve that person.This site executive coaching is the best site to improve that persons who are addicted to the alcohol or any drugs that is injurious to health.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 09:56 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

I also have this effect with alcohol. I call it a reverse hangover! A spike in productivity/focus the day after drinking.

I also find myself not drinking for weeks at a time. I have never had a DUI or been arrested. For me this effect kicked in at more then 3 drinks ~6 or so.

The only thing I found to explain this was sleep apnea. I was diagnosed via a sleep study + found using a cpap caused significant improvement. However I still experience a reverse hangover after drinking.

This effect seems very rare. I have never met another person who has this rebound effect.

Bobc
Old 01-14-14, 05:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

many people say that because alcohol is a depressant that it must be wonderful for sleep and relaxation. BUT when you drink and then fall into that hazy foggy sleep you are actually not sleeping deep like you would normally do not drinking. For me, if I suffer a night with almost no sleep, my adrenaline kicks in and I am super woman the whole day, then I crash and then it becomes major sleep deficit territory. If my convoluted theory makes any sense then isnt it possible that alcohol would impair your deep sleep causing your adrenaline and all the good stuff to fly into overdrive the next day?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-02-14, 02:35 PM
Contributor

DichotOhMy has disabled reputation

This effect is caused by the fact you are running on cortisol due to the objectively bad sleep alcohol causes - even if you subjectively feel otherwise. In addition to other things, I too felt this was a positive effect early in my drinking career; however it didn't take long for me to increasingly burn out and then increasingly drink more on an almost autonomic-decision level. Such is the feedback loop of alcohol dependency.
The Following User Says Thank You to DichotOhMy For This Useful Post:
Tabbycat (03-17-14)
Old 03-12-14, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,550 Times in 932 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

The amount you're drinking doesn't sound excessive. I often (usually) start drinking at 6:30am and don't stop until I go to sleep. But, i drink slowly and never really get drunk. I've never woken up in a gutter with no idea what happened or anything like that. The only problem with my drinking is physical health, specifically my liver which has tested high for blood enzymes which means it's working hard.

Alcohol does not cause diabetes, it does not create an insulin response by your system. Of course if you're drinking it with sweet mixers they can do so.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".