ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-14-04, 10:40 AM
Jr Member

Centrinochic is on a distinguished road
Concerta and my 4 year old ADHD son.

Hello All!!! My name is Whitney and I also have ADHD and was diagnosed when I was 8 years old. I was treated with the following drugs. Ritalin,Cylert, or Tegretol. Ritalin worked the best with my grades going immediately to straight A's. I am now 30 years young! My son is 4 years old and was just diagnosed with ADHD yesterday. I knew he had it when I was still pregnant with him. NO JOKE! He was much more active than my daughter was in utero. At the age of 10 months I also knew... Yesterday it was confirmed and Concerta was started. 18mg --1 p.o. q AM. (1 by mouth, Every Morning) However, This is an immediate acting drug. No change yesterday, No change this morning. It does not matter if you take it on a empty stomach or full. He took it on a empty stomach with a half a glass of milk. It is now 10:30am and there is no change in his behavior. I am considering giving him 2--18mg in the morning. Has anyone else done this and if so what was the outcome. I have spoken to his Dr. and he advised I give it another day which is fine with me. But just wanted to get some Non-Dr. opinions and have you tell me your experiences with Concerta. Note: My son is 4 years old and weighs 41 pounds. So if you child is older than 10, you need not respond because that is too big of a age gap for me to compare. Thank you all!!
Old 10-14-04, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Very odd...Concerta isn't technically indicated for anyone under 6 years of age...I dunno what to say really. Follow the doctor's advice, and don't increase dosage without notifying the doctor first, especially at such a young age. There are no studies which have demonstrated the safety or efficacy of Methylphenidate in children under 6 years od age, though the current information indicates it should be effective.

A dosage increase might be necessary just because he might not be responsive to stimulants. But remember that Concerta takes anywhere from thirty minutes to two hours to become active, and from there it increases in plasma concentrations for about 6 hours before beginning to decline. It may be that the initial reaction is not taking strongly...watch to see if the drug "kicks in" at a different time during the day. It should peak at approximately 4 hours after dosage.
Old 10-14-04, 10:57 AM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
What are the behavoirs that you are looking to change in your son?
Old 10-14-04, 11:05 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
What behavior is it you are trying to change? Is it hyperactivity or is it focus and impulse control or .....? I'll assume it's hyperactivity, since at age 4, it would be hard to judge focus and concentration. Hyperactivity is the last symptom to be effected by stimulants as the dosage rises, so by the time Concerta or ritalin start to slow the child down, the other improvements are gone - too much stimulant is as bad as too little - and the child can be pretty drugged at this stage. Increasing the dosage to treat hyperactivity is what has given ritalin a bad name.
You son is already at a fairly high dose of concerta, given his weight. Doubling the dosage without your doctors orders is a very bad idea. He may need more, but you should make that decision together with his doctor.
Old 10-14-04, 12:56 PM
Jr Member

Concerta and my 4 year old son

My son is very hyperactive,clumsy,non-focused,and cannot concentrate on the current subject. I run a daycare with basic education in my home. Which is very structured with hour to hour activities including reading,coloring,workbook studies etc. He is like a Hemi engine all day long. When I announce that it is time for a story, it is like he doesn't hear a word I say. All of the other kids sit still and pay attention without fail. Not Jansen. I thought "Well, maybe it is because he is my son and he is in his own enviroment and feels the need to run it as his own show" So we tried regular daycare without any success. I feel so sorry for him in the fact that he as a young boy cannot interact with children of his age. He is just go-go-go and has no fear. If he could he would jump out of a 2 story window. He doesn't understand the consequences to his actions. Remember, I had/have ADHD also and am very educated on the matter and it's symptoms,treatments. I also worked for a Neurologist for many years who is a family friend. He has since retired. When Jansen was very young he also stated that Jansen will probably need some sort of a medicated treatment to be able to acheive a desireable education and family life. I know my son and I am not the type of person that believes medicines are bad. That is why Dr. are educated and why we are SUPPOSE to trust their
knowledge. Jansen is very impulsive as were I when I was his age. Together the Dr.'s and I hope to achieve a desireable level of comfort for Jansen and hope to help his future. He has had no complaints of the medicine thus far and I have spoken to his Dr. today. We will see how he is in a few days but he did note that the effect should be immediate. I am just wondering why a child has to be around 6 years old to begin a medicated therapy such as this. I know that weight has nothing to do with treatment but wonder where they get their info on this matter. But then again that is what forums like this is here for. Right? LOL.

Thanks
Whitney
Old 10-14-04, 03:08 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry if I seemed to imply I was questioning your Doctor's judgment. I believe medication is relatively safe in children. The only reason I mentioned that is simply because I found it a little unusual: they haven't clinically proven that Methylphenidate is safe in children under 6, simply because they haven't done any research on children under 6.
Old 10-14-04, 03:57 PM
Jr Member

I totally

I totally understand. I agree with you. I just wanted to state how I feel and what was going on so people would understand when replying.
Thank you,
Whitney
Old 10-14-04, 04:31 PM
Jr Member

Isn't he happy?

Hope this works.

Last edited by Andrew; 10-31-04 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Please review Forum Guidelines for posting URLs
Old 10-15-04, 02:05 PM

bobcatgirl is on a distinguished road
My son is 5 and also taking 18mg which he just started a few weeks ago, i have not noticed much improvement either.Although we have noticed crying spells and he complains of headaches occasionaly. He seems a little more defiant than before. Dont know if this info will help but good luck!
Old 10-30-04, 09:08 PM
Jr Member

Smile Update: 10/30/04

Well, We did the 18mg Concerta for 1 week. No change. Dr. upped it to 36mg. Did that for a week. No change. He is now on the 54mg. and the difference is as day and night. He now is very focused. Not as talkative, more relaxed in his thinking where as before he would just blurt anything out. ie: We would ask him to say his alphabet, He would normally try to say it soooo fast not a human being on this earth could have translated it. Now he says it slowly and with missing a single letter. I cannot believe the difference, My stress is nearly gone as are his crying tantrums, No more running off screaming if we tell him No, It is just a miracle how much difference it has made.

Whitney

The Infamous Jansen. My 4 year old ADHD son on Concerta.

Quote:
What does not kill you makes you stronger

Old 10-31-04, 03:28 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
I am very glad you found a dosage that works.
It is remarkable how well medication can work, isn't it!
Old 12-07-04, 08:45 PM

inautumnforfree is on a distinguished road
im on 36mg now.
18 did nothing, its pretty common for 18 not to do much.
36 works ok. i might bump to 54.
touching bark right above you silently
i lower down my icy stare, you smell the air
i've got a samurai sword meant for you polar bear
i've got a grizzly look in my eye
you aim to drag me back down underground to gorge
you want my blood all over your face
but i'm plummeting through branches towards you know
feeling still (samurai phil)
Old 12-08-04, 12:23 AM

2ndtimearound is on a distinguished road
Hello all. I am glad I found this sight a few weeks ago. My eight year old son is on Adderall XR 5mg. The thing is I don't give it to him every day. He only takes one on school days. I have been reading that he should take them every day to do any good. Does any one know anything about the effects of not taking meds every day? His ped said no problem but she really doesn't want to get them to him. Any and everything appreciated.
Kathy