ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 12-08-11, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

I decided to do a little Pepsi challenge today. I took a dose of Dexedrine in place of my second Desoxyn dose.

My impression has not changed. Dexedrine is a very intense and edgy experience compared with Desoxyn, but still considerably smoother than Adderall. Both Dexedrine and Adderall feel significantly stronger than Desoxyn, in my experience. Desoxyn is more effective dose per dose, but Dexedrine and Adderall are far more stimulating.

Desoxyn is definitely the Rolls Royce of pharmaceutical stimulants. Dexedrine is probably a BMW. Adderall is something fast, fierce and sporty that would appear on a poster in a high school boy's room.

Hope that makes sense.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-08-11, 09:12 PM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Desoxyn is definitely the Rolls Royce of pharmaceutical stimulants. Dexedrine is probably a BMW. Adderall is something fast, fierce and sporty that would appear on a poster in a high school boy's room.

Hope that makes sense.
LOL, a funny comparison but a pretty accurate one.

"Fast Times at Adderall High."
Old 12-08-11, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kimmy1 is on a distinguished road

You guys crack me up!
I consider myself lucky to get Ritalin 20 mg bid right now.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20111208/NEWS01/112080366/-1/NLETTER01/Families-struggling-with-ADHD-medication-shortage?source=nletter-news
Old 12-08-11, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
This literature claims that a single hit of smoked street methamphetamine typically contains roughly 22mg! That is over two thirds of my daily dose! It is not uncommon for addicts to sit around taking hit after hit for hours!

The devil is truly in the dose. A small glass of wine with dinner has been found to healthy, yet we all know that chronic, high dose ingestion of alcohol is disastrous to one's physical and mental health. Methamphetamine use is likely somewhat similiar.
Great points!
Just about anything can be abused.
Old 12-08-11, 09:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
I decided to do a little Pepsi challenge today. I took a dose of Dexedrine in place of my second Desoxyn dose.

My impression has not changed. Dexedrine is a very intense and edgy experience compared with Desoxyn, but still considerably smoother than Adderall. Both Dexedrine and Adderall feel significantly stronger than Desoxyn, in my experience. Desoxyn is more effective dose per dose, but Dexedrine and Adderall are far more stimulating.

Hope that makes sense.
I read some descriptions comparing the various amphetamines. I have no idea what happened to the book where I read this. It wasn't Facts and Comparisons though.
Methamphetamine was described as "longer lasting" and "stronger. "
You see to conform that it lasts longer.
I'm not sure about the issue of strength though.
Old 12-08-11, 09:59 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy1 View Post
I read some descriptions comparing the various amphetamines. I have no idea what happened to the book where I read this. It wasn't Facts and Comparisons though.
Methamphetamine was described as "longer lasting" and "stronger. "
You see to conform that it lasts longer.
I'm not sure about the issue of strength though.
It isn't stronger or weaker. Desoxyn does not feel like a stronger version of Dexedrine. Not at all. It isn't that simple.

Desoxyn improves focus and elevates mood at lower doses than Dexedrine, but 5mg of Dexedrine will have you more motivated, awake, and "wired" than 10mg of Desoxyn.

Basically, Desoxyn is stronger in all the areas it should be stronger, and none of the areas it shouldn't.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Alwaysonthgo (12-08-12)
Old 12-08-11, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thumbs up Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

LOL! You stole the words right out of my mouth!
I have never tried Desoxyn.
Perhaps this so-called "shortage" on the other meds may prove to be in our favor!??
Old 12-09-11, 05:39 AM

befitnessnow is on a distinguished road

Hey tambourine-man,

Thank you for posting this journal, I really appreciate it. Haha other than our differences on Sandoz/Barr Adderall, most of everything you write on these forums I can either understand or relate to in some way. Hell, I even referenced a few of your posts to my Doc the other day.

Stimulants are one of two medications that help with my symptoms in one pill; Anxiety, bouts of Depression and of course ADD/PI. I can never focus, I have extreme racing thoughts, if not intrusive at times, it's impossible for me to organize, etc. The other med which eradicates these issues is irrelevant since it is not a stimulant. Anyways, I was getting so sick of Adderall not being in stock or taking weeks to get some that after I read this journal on Monday, I went to my weekly appointment with my doc on Wed and asked if I could try Desoxyn. Until this thread, I was under the impression is was (nearly) pure PNS stimulation, so I never bothered to educate myself about it and little information is available anyways. My doc was perfectly fine with it, granted, we have a great doctor/patient relationship and he trusts me.

I do have to start on 5mg 2x a day though, whereas with Adderall I was taking 10mg 4x daily. It may seem like a lot but I process the stuff very quickly and if timed correctly, there isn't much of a high/low during the day. I strongly dislike XR, as well. My doc has no problem increasing to whatever dose is needed (of Dexosyn), if it does in fact work out but since it's a new med, he still wants to play it safe, as do I.

I do react very different to stimulants in one way though, which makes trying Desoxyn very interesting. Dexedrine puts me to sleep. I was only on it for a week but I was so tired, I switched back to Adderall. Even Adderall can make me quite tired and since Insomnia and tiredness are already an issue (these were issues long before I ever tried stimulants), it is Adderal's biggest side-effect for me, next to elevated BP. It makes me tired but raises my BP...

So according to your journal, lol Desoxyn might in fact prove to be a sleep-aid for me. If I get the relief of effects that I am hoping for, as described earlier, I can live without a "kick" from the Dexoxyn though. In theory, since it lacks less (if any) PNS stimulation, it should also help keep my BP down too, which would be great. Amazing actually.

I'm starting tomorrow but only on 5mg 2x daily, so it may take awhile to figure out how well this medication works for me and I won't turn your journal into mine during the process! Haha. I just wanted to thank you, as I wouldn't of considered Desoxyn without this thread, and to give some background information in case I come back at some point to let you know how it goes for me!

I'm glad that Dexosyn is working out so well for you and hope that it continues to. Best of luck and I look forward to continue reading your journal.

EDIT: I wanted to add that the generic I received is by Mylan, is the company (I can't recall the name) you mentioned your Desoxyn's were made by owned by Mylan or vise versa?

Last edited by befitnessnow; 12-09-11 at 06:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to befitnessnow For This Useful Post:
tambourine-man (12-09-11)
Old 12-09-11, 11:21 AM

@befitnessnow,

Please let me know how you respond. I will warn you though, your initial dose will most likely be far too low after the dose of Adderall you were taking. You will probably feel very sleepy and unmedicated. Don't judge Desoxyn at this dose. Give yourself plenty of time to adjust and titrate up. You will likely notice benefits at 10mg, but I can't guarantee it.

Be patient. Good things come to those who wait.

P.S. I am, indeed, taking Mylan brand. I have never tried name brand but Mylan is quite satisfactory.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-11-11, 04:11 PM

@Befitnessnow: Can you give us an update yet?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-12-11, 02:32 AM

Galactica75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggedup View Post
K I can't find the wikipedia article that says "methamphetamine is neurotoxic, but xyz is not." I thought it was dex, but looking it up said that dex is neurotoxic at pharmaceutical levels too. So I guess in the long run by taking these meds, we're damaging ourselves.
All aphematamines can be neurotoxic, but once again it depends on the dossing as relax21 pointed out. If your concerned about neurodegeneration then Ritalin is probably your only option.
Ultimately it comes down to the question; are the risks worth the benefits? Most people with debilitating conditions would probably say Yes. While people with very mild conditions would probably say no if they understood the all risks they might exposing themselves to.

Excerpt from adderall xr guide: http://www.shirecanada.com/en/shire-..._090930_En.pdf

Old 12-12-11, 06:56 PM

Another helpful Desoxyn link...

http://everything.explained.at/Desoxyn/

I'm torn between wanting to help educate the public and reduce the hysteria associated with this particular medication, and wanting to make sure everyone keeps their hands off it so it isn't impacted by shortages.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-15-11, 05:19 PM

SnareDrumzZz is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you talking about? People will get any medication by any means if they want it. Your information is not going to help people get scripts. If you really think you have a key to give everyone that will help them get Desoxyn you are in psychosis. Badly.

Desoxyn is the better mellow less side effect shock stimulant doctors are afraid to prescribe.

Dexedrine isn't the easiest getting either and is a calmer version of Adderall for most.

Adderall is just for those who Need a push to focus.

All of these medications are the holy grail.
Old 12-15-11, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnareDrumzZz View Post
What are you talking about? People will get any medication by any means if they want it. Your information is not going to help people get scripts. If you really think you have a key to give everyone that will help them get Desoxyn you are in psychosis. Badly.

Desoxyn is the better mellow less side effect shock stimulant doctors are afraid to prescribe.

Dexedrine isn't the easiest getting either and is a calmer version of Adderall for most.

Adderall is just for those who Need a push to focus.

All of these medications are the holy grail.
I agree with you. I've said, essentially, the same thing throughout this thread. Perhaps you failed to thoroughly read the thread.

Refer to this post all the way back on page three...

Quote:
So is Desoxyn the holy grail?

That depends on your definition of holy grail. Is is the most powerful, addictive, dangerous, and euphoric of all stimulants? Um... no. Not in my experience and certainly not at therapeutic doses. Is it a very effective med with the fewest possible side-effects that happens to be unjustly stigmatized and rarely prescribed? Absolutely.

In all honesty, I like Dexedrine better, but my body and mind greatly prefer Desoxyn.

Desoxyn is the most easily abused stimulant for the same reasons that it should be prescribed more often - it is without the physical and mental side-effects of other stimulants. If you're going to abuse large doses of a stimulant, you want to go with the one that your body and mind will least regret. Why should we have to put up with unnecessary side-effects just because the junkies don't want to? Desoxyn proves that many of the common side-effects complained about on these boards are nothing less than a deterrent to those who would take doses far larger than those prescribed in order to get high.

I just can't get over the unbelievable irony of prescription methamphetamine, the most gentle, subtle, and physically forgiving of all stimulants I have taken.
Or this one on page seven...

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 12-16-11, 02:52 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ameliese is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.
tambourine-man,

Your face looks familiar, are you on Wrongplanet as well?

I can't believe you got prescribed Desoxyn (methamphetamine) for your AS, unless you also have ADHD.

From what I've read, pharmaceutical methamphetamine has even more CNS stimulation and less PNS stimulation compared to dexamphetamine, but because of widespread abuse of the illicitly synthesized kind in numerous Western countries (including America), access to Desoxyn is extremely restricted and only reserved for the most hardcore cases of ADHD and narcolepsy...