ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-04, 10:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow All the world at my fingertips...(ADD info access)

I recently learned about my school's all powerful "InfoTree" Ebsco Database search access, including Adademic Search Premier (7,000+ scholarly publications), and Lexis Nexis (A massive database of all public records, but more importantly to us, a huge collection of Medical & Health Journals). As such, this gives me unlimited, free access to over 25,000 databases, and 12,000 Full Text Online publications, including scholarly articles, magazines, journals, and so further.

Naturally, given this unlimited power, I would like to share such information with you all.

If any of you have questions about ADHD related research, etc., feel free to post it here and when I get time throughout the day I'll run a search and get back to you on whatever it is you were asking about. Depending on copyrights for individual articles, I'll either share my findings (if they are copyrighted), or put them up here (if they are public domain or reproduceable for scholarly purposes).

To start with, here are choice excerpts from (I suck at citing sources, so if this isn't proper format, deal with it you know what it means):

"Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Current status and
future perspectives." M. Saadah, International Journal of Therapy & Rehabilitation; Aug2004, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p381, 8p.

"Genetic studies have revealed 92% concordance of ADHD in monozygotic twins and 33% concordance in dizygotics. Its prevalence is approximately five to six times higher among first-degree relatives than in the general populations (Biedermann, 1998). Abnormalities have been observed using brain magnetic resonance imaging, single photon emission computed tomography, and neurophysiology (Castellanos et al. 1996). These findings and the rapidly developing research in this field have already validated the theory and construct of ADHD, contray to the views of the general publics and some medical professionals." (Saadah, p383)

"Molecular genetics and pharmacological studies suggest the involvement of dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurotransmitter systems in ADHD. Several reports have found an association between ADHD and the dopamine receptor gene DRD-4, the dopamine transporter gene DAT1 and the enzyme caecholotransferase (Swanson et al, 1998) ...

"Previous studies showed an association between ADHD and the DXS7 locus, which is located near the monoamine oxidase genes on chromosome X (Jiang et al, 2000). This conclusion has been supported by the 4:1 male to female ratio in ADHD (Rowland et al, 2001). Analysis has revealed a link between ADHD and monoamine oxidase A (Ca)n locus, suggesting that monoamine oxidase A might be a susceptibility factor for ADHD (Jiang et al, 2001). Therefore, it would seem that ADHD is a familial and heritable disorder." (Saadah p383)

Nothing terribly new there, but I thought it would be of interest to see scholarly basis for why we know it's genetic, and that rather definite statistic definitely verifies that it is a real condition, which could be of use to all you folks with family members, etc. who "don't believe in ADHD." Well, they'd better, because there is uncontradictable scientific evidence for it.

Here is the abstract from:

"Diagnosis and Treatment of Behavioral Health Disorders in Pediatric Practice." Williams, Palmes, Pulley, Foy, Pediatrics; Sep2004, Vol. 114 Issue 3, p601, 6p, 3 charts, 1 graph

Abstract: Objective. There has been a strong push toward the recognition and treatment of children with behavioral health problems by primary care pediatricians. This study was designed to assess the extent to which a sample of primary care pediatricians diagnose and treat behavioral health problems and to identify factors that may contribute to their behavioral health practice. Methods. A standard interview was conducted with 47 pediatricians who work in primary care settings in a predominantly urban setting in North Carolina. Pediatricians' responses to questions about the estimated percentage of children in their practice with a behavioral health disorder, tools used to make diagnoses, frequent and infrequent diagnoses made, comfort level with making a diagnosis, reasons for not making a diagnosis, use of psychotropic medications, types of nonmedication interventions provided, educational background, and needs involving behavioral health issues were evaluated. Results. Pediatricians estimated that the average percentage of children in their practices with a behavioral health disorder was 15%. The study did not find significant differences in perceptions related to time in practice or gender of the pediatric provider. The most frequent behavioral health diagnosis was attention-deficit/hyper-activity disorder (ADHD), and the majority incorporated behavioral questionnaires, expressed a high level of comfort with the diagnosis, and frequently or occasionally prescribed stimulants. Variability was noted in both practice and comfort for other behavioral health disorders. Slightly fewer than half of the pediatricians fre-quently diagnosed anxiety and depression. Those who make these diagnoses commonly incorporated questionnaires and reported frequent or occasional use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Comfort in making the diagnosis of anxiety was highly associated with use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.... [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Basically a study on trends of pediatricians diagnosing behavioral disorders in children...I don't think I need to go on about how pertinent that is to a lot of us here. I've not yet read that full article, but I will report back on findings (or possibly share that entire article, depending on copyrights), when I get back from class around 3pm.

Leave requests for studies or topics you want me to search on, I'll get back to you as I can. Have fun!
Old 09-21-04, 10:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
As an addendum; for my ease, please refrain from discussing articles I post here in this thread. What I mean is, don't clutter this thread discussing articles in this thread: Make a new thread to discuss things ones they've been brought up. That way, I can just follow request, answer format, instead of having to pick through commentary and discussion of articles I post.

I imagine the forum administrators would not mind people making new threads to discuss topics that might be brought up in here, but if they do, I'd ask that they please make that known to me?

If you feel your request is urgent, or if you feel I have missed your request, feel free to PM me or get me on AIM and I'll run a search for you.

I'm off to class now, any first round requests will be answered either at noon while I'm at lunch, or at 3pm EST. Till then!