ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 09-18-04, 01:00 PM

MatJ is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin Making Me Depressed?

Hi I recently started taking Wellbutrin for ADD. For the first week I was waking up with a lot of anxiety. Now I am waking up feeling depressed, feel terrible, trouble getting out of bed, loss of appetite.

I wasn't depressed before I started Wellbutrin.

This sems strange because Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant.

Anyone else experienced or heard of this?
Old 09-18-04, 01:45 PM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
Not on any ADD meds yet so I cannot give an experienced opinion.

But any prescribed meds in my concerned opinion that makes anyone feel depressed needs to be communicated to your Dr As Soon As Possible.

For my peace of mind please call at least your pharmacist!

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 09-18-04, 03:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
You should talk to your doctor about this reaction to the Wellbutrin. The effects you feel could also be due to your stopping the Strattera, as mentioned in your other post.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 02:30 PM

MatJ is on a distinguished road
Yup, it was the Wellbutrin

Howdy -

Don't think it was getting off the Strattera, as I had only taken it for four days, and stopped a week before starting the Wellbutrin. (The Strattera made me really zoned out - like I get on antihistamines)

The depression started a week after I started the Wellbutrin - hitting me prety hard in the mornings as mentioned in my earlier post.

Anyway, I stopped talking the Wellbutrin yesterday, and this morning - poof - depression gone.

Looks like I'll be trying something else!
Old 09-19-04, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Oddly enough, all the antidepressants that I'm familiar with can actually cause depression as a side effect... I have no idea why, though, because ya, that does seem wierd.
Old 09-19-04, 06:18 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I just saw a TV program that said that many common antidepressants actually INCREASE suicide rates in teenagers!!!
Old 09-19-04, 09:17 PM

vermillion is on a distinguished road
First a few weeks with Wellbutrin, my hands were shaking I had a lot of anxiety but after 4 weeks I started to feel much more focused and relaxed.I'd say give it some time.
Old 09-20-04, 01:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Hehe... after my first dosage increase on Wellbutrin, from 150 to 300 mg, I didn't sleep for 3 days and had a panic attack. :P Needless to say, I called the doc and we cut it back to 150, which is now working for me. I also experienced appetite suppression, euphoria which lasted about a day (darn, hehe), and mild insomnia even on the 150.

My doc said he had never seen anyone react so strongly to 300 mg before. Just goes to show, these meds work differently on everyone.
Old 09-30-04, 05:10 PM

Sandra is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin and Depression and Irritability

I started taking Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago for depression, 150 for a week and then 300 mg. . I think it has helped my add in that I seem to focus better, but I am still so depressed... and a total crab. The irritability is awful. When I'm not crying, I'm b...tching. My husband is my target! Poor guy! I can't stand to be around me either so you can only imagine how he feels. Any suggestions?
Old 10-04-04, 02:43 PM

ADD_Ed is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin and more sleep perhaps?

Sandra,

As someone who takes Wellbutrin for ADD and depression I thought I would share something my psychiatrist helped me to understand (or maybe helped me to admit!).

Getting a good night's sleep is crucial to fighting depression and maintaining focus. I started recording how much sleep I had in a small notebook each day and also made note if there were any significant interruptions to sleep.

I quickly had to accept that I needed to get more sleep (and more regularly too) in order to feel my best. I know this sounds too simple to be true but it worked for me in conjunction with the medication to make a real positive difference for me.

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to ADD_Ed For This Useful Post:
selby (06-01-09)
Old 10-04-04, 07:46 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
I would agree with Ed on this one...and in addition to the sleep -- eating right helps with the depression as well.....at least for me....I'm on Wellbutrin...and although it does cause irritability -- absolutely....it hasn't caused direct depression. My doctor has put me on klonopin everyday to counteract the irritability.....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 10-05-04, 08:43 AM

Sandra is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Ed and Joan. I agree with both of you about sleeping enough and eating right. I'll really pay attention to that. My depression and irritability seemed to hit a peak and then subsided quite a bit--like overnight. We'll see what happens. I don't want to stop taking Welbutrin because of the focus issue. Thanks, again. Sandra
Old 11-01-04, 05:06 PM
Jr Member

Duckie is on a distinguished road
I took Wellbutrin XL 150 6 weeks ago, and not until recently that I feel some good effects. My mood is balanced and I focus better. So I would suggest to give it some time. My doctor said that it takes different time on different people to see the effects of it.
Old 12-07-04, 06:28 PM
Jr Member

Duckie is on a distinguished road
stop eating...

I just got dosed up from 150mg to 300mg. I don't know if I lost appetite but I get full very quickly and I never felt the need to eat. For 4 days I went by just eating a little bit but still feel ok. I also feel weird in my stomach. It does help my mood to level out. I don't get panic as easily as before. But this stomach pain is so weird. If it doesn't get any better I'll have to call my doctor again.
Old 12-09-04, 09:30 AM

MEH is on a distinguished road
I take Wellbutrin 300 now and Strattera 120. I always have trouble sleeping more than 6 hours. Very often I wake up 2 or 3 am and wrestle around in bed till I fall back asleep at 5-6:30 or so. Recently trying Trazadone at night just a few nights a week (50mg) and it helps. I still woke up at 2 but fell back asleep in less than 30 min. the Wellbutrin seems to help my depre4ssion and if I felt worse I would have concerns and stop. All bodies are different and it takes some playing around with what med will work. My advise be patient and stop taking anything that does not seem to help. their are enough alternatives to choose from.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?