ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 06-08-19, 08:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Concerta;every day or some days for not to develop tolerance?

I went a new doc today. He prescribed me concerta 54 mg and fluvoxamine 100 mg. I told doctor that i've already developed tolerance to methylphenidate. He recommended me to take concerta every day even if doesn't work. I said doc that i wasn't taking concerta every day for not to develop tolerance at my previous use. He said me you're wrong, you should take it every day.
My previous doc had told me to take it only when i need, not every day.
To my knowledge if it's took every day it increases dopamine levels, so dopamine receptors decrease in the brain.
What's your idea? Should i take every day or only when i need?
(Unfortunately in Turkey methylphenidate is the only licensed stimulant med. So I have no other chance.)
Started with ritalin (worked only for two weeks)
Also tried wellbutrin and strattera
Now: ritalin and medikinet
For about three years local corticosteroid pomades for atopic dermatitis.
Old 06-08-19, 11:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta;every day or some days for not to develop tolerance?

Take it as prescribed.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-08-19)
Old 06-08-19, 11:44 AM
Contributor

qanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know about Concerta, but my daughters on Adderal XR and her child psychiatrist told her to only take it on days that will be challenging, and to take days off, even the entire summer off if she can (she's a student). I am not sure if concerta needs to build up or not though, which Adderal does not, which might mean a different approach.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-19, 12:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think if its prescribed as daily then it should be taken that way.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (06-14-19)
Old 06-14-19, 01:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

According to a reddit page I saw, Russell Barkley has mentioned that the practice of taking drug vacations is obselete.
I'm uncertain. Why most of stimunlant users take a break (drug holiday) ? Is drug holiday required to prevent dependence or to prevent tolerance ?

Last edited by namazu; 06-15-19 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: removed link to reddit -- please see ADDF guidelines on links to other forums/communities
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
stef (06-14-19)
Old 06-14-19, 02:05 AM

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
Is drug holiday required to prevent dependence or to prevent tolerance ?
Neither, and absolutely not.

Dependence is normal and to be expected.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-14-19), stef (06-14-19)
Old 06-14-19, 04:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
According to that reddit page: (https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/commen...rug_vacations/) Russell Barkley has mentioned that the practice of taking drug vacations is obselete.
I'm uncertain. Why most of stimunlant users take a break (drug holiday) ? Is drug holiday required to prevent dependence or to prevent tolerance ?
Dependence is a given. No matter what medication you take you will become dependent on it and there is nothing wrong with that. Tolerance is also a real thing. I think its something that can develop over time or in some cases abruptly happen. IMO though taking med vacations does nothing to affect tolerance and whether you will experience it or not. For years I had no issues with tolerance and would even be a pain in the a** to people preaching how rare it was. Then it happened to me. It was slight and easily adjusted but taking med breaks did zero for it one way or another. I say that because inevitably I manage to not pick up my script exactly on time, or the pharmacy has to order the medicine so I end up going a day or two (sometimes longer) with no medicine. I also wonder if tolerance is dependent on what type of med you take. You tend to hear of it less with methylphenidate drugs than you do with amphetamines.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-14-19, 10:31 PM
Contributor

qanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of light

According to my daughters child psychiatrist, she said some docs do not believe holidays should be taken with Adderal, but others do and she does. She said the reason she believes so is in her experience her patients typically need higher and higher doses over the years. To slow this tolerance down, she finds taking days off has this benefit.

I certainly believe those on this site who have reported taking the same dose, with no decrease in benefits, for years.

But I have also ready plenty of reports on this site where the effectiveness has decreased and higher and higher doses are needed, sometimes reaching such a high dose that a switch in meds is needed as they can't go any higher.

So it seems people react differently & I see no good way to tell how you will react. So if it were me, I would take days off if it didn't negatively impact me too much. But if I needed it every day, then I would take it every day, and deal with tolerance when/if it comes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-15-19), namazu (06-15-19)
Old 06-15-19, 09:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

In fact, I absolutely need stimulant every day. Because i'm an academician and i have to study every day. You can guess how hard for me w/o drug. But i had developed tolerance in 1-2 weeks even though not taking every day, in my previous usage. So i'm afraid of tolerance. Nonetheless, i'll take it every day who knows it may work.
Also i think methyph. and amph. are unlike about tolerance. It seems much less amph. users develop tolerance than methp. users. I read too much tolerance problems for mph. but rare for amph.
Old 06-15-19, 12:25 PM

Thanked 26,921 Times in 12,563 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In fact, I absolutely need stimulant every day. Because i'm an academician and i have to study every day. You can guess how hard for me w/o drug. But i had developed tolerance in 1-2 weeks even though not taking every day, in my previous usage. So i'm afraid of tolerance. Nonetheless, i'll take it every day who knows it may work.
Also i think methyph. and amph. are unlike about tolerance. It seems much less amph. users develop tolerance than methp. users. I read too much tolerance problems for mph. but rare for amph.
I don't know if you can or cannot develop tolerance in such a short time (just
1-2 weeks) or if you were just feeling your body adjust to the med so you
didn't notice it as much. There is often a brief "honeymoon" or euphoria time
before you adjust to the meds and I do wonder if that's what you actually felt.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-15-19)
Old 06-28-19, 02:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

I've taken 54 mg concerta for four days. It's effect decreased day by day. Even though I intended to go on to use. But i've found an article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ne.0033693.pdf). In brief according to it methylphenidate caused a significant loss of dopamine neurons in mice in long term. I know mice and human are very similar generally but also may be different. But i'm in doubt and so took a break.
What do you think about this article?
Old 06-28-19, 04:00 PM

Thanked 26,921 Times in 12,563 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've taken 54 mg concerta for four days. It's effect decreased day by day. Even though I intended to go on to use. But i've found an article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ne.0033693.pdf). In brief according to it methylphenidate caused a significant loss of dopamine neurons in mice in long term. I know mice and human are very similar generally but also may be different. But i'm in doubt and so took a break.
What do you think about this article?
It would be interesting to hear from someone who lives with you or works with
you to see what kind of changes they have seen. It's possible the Concerta is
still working and you're not aware because you're just getting used to the way it feels.

As to whether long term use of stimulants cause a loss of dopamine neurons,
it's possible. There are probably other unknown changes. Some research shows
that when used in early childhood (elementary age) these meds can increase
growth in parts of the brain that have delayed development. As with anything,
we can only look at the benefits and the risks and make our own decisions.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-28-19), PI-ADHD 29 (06-29-19)
Old 06-28-19, 09:51 PM

Thanked 22,381 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

This reads as a continual problem for a year with you. Perhaps actually take it as prescribed for a year and then give a self report.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
PI-ADHD 29 (06-29-19)
Old 06-29-19, 04:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It would be interesting to hear from someone who lives with you or works with
you to see what kind of changes they have seen. It's possible the Concerta is
still working and you're not aware because you're just getting used to the way it feels.

As to whether long term use of stimulants cause a loss of dopamine neurons,
it's possible. There are probably other unknown changes. Some research shows
that when used in early childhood (elementary age) these meds can increase
growth in parts of the brain that have delayed development. As with anything,
we can only look at the benefits and the risks and make our own decisions.
Yes you're right, there are many brain scane images which demonstrates significant improvement in brain after treatment like that:Scan your Brain and Find its Secrets from IConnectDots blog

Last edited by namazu; 06-29-19 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Replaced link to commercial website/blog without link-backs with a print-friendly version of page.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-30-19)