ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-18, 07:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough
How do I avoid overwhelming myself?

So the shrink reckons that I have a habit of letting my emotions build up until I have a freakout or meltdown. Itís something heís particularly concerned about, especially since the last time I got so messed up that I took an overdose. The thing is that I donít actually know how Iím letting these emotions build up. I have hobbies and I do talk about my feelings (and I see a therapist) but these feelings just accumulate regardless.

Lately Iíve been having some pretty intense anxiety. My anxiety does get worse near my period, but not so bad that I wake up with a panic attack, get chest pains, and have more random partial attacks throughout the day. Thing is, Iíve been on top of things and this week has been really good so far. Work is great, Iím getting along well with my family, Iíve been hanging out more with friends, Iíve taken a break from social media, I take my medicine when Iím supposed to, and Iím allowing myself to relax when Iím at home. So what am I doing wrong?

I know Iím talking about anxiety, but this also applies to my mood. Shortly before the overdose I was actually in a really good mood and things seemed to be going well. Then I suddenly plummeted into such a dark place and I just couldnít shake the feeling of wanting to die. There was no real reason for it - it just happened.

I know that I will feel suicidal again because it happens so often that itís basically a way of life for me. Itís an alien feeling that just invades my psyche from time to time. This can last for days, weeks and even months. Then it just kinda disappears and I feel okay again. I track my moods and try to determine what stressors could be contributing to these mini breakdowns, but Iím honestly at a loss.

I donít want to ruminate too much on this as I know that isnít good for me either. So instead I wanna to ask if there are others that can understand where Iím coming from and if thereís anything that has helped them identify ways to avoid this sort of thing from happening.

Oh, and does anyone use any fidget toys to manage anxiety? Iím thinking about keeping a box of different fidgets to manage my anxiety. I have a few already but I like to use different ones for different things. I guess itís an association thing, i.e, fidget cube = listening , spinner = Netflix and chill , tangle = road trip.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MindBlind For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-28-19), Daniel1970 (01-11-19), namazu (09-26-18), stef (09-27-18)
Old 09-26-18, 08:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,474 Times in 6,073 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I avoid overwhelming myself?

I'm so overwhelmed I come home from work n.shut down and sleep for hours :-(
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
MindBlind (09-28-18)
Old 09-27-18, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I'm so overwhelmed I come home from work n.shut down and sleep for hours :-(
I do that as well. I try not to, but sometimes I have to crash in bed for a good few hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to MindBlind For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (09-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-18, 10:28 PM

Thanked 11,474 Times in 6,073 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes same here it resets my system for a lil while at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
stef (09-28-18)
Old 09-28-18, 02:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Yes same here it resets my system for a lil while at least.
For me, I think the need to crash is a sensory thing. I have a lot of sensory issues and when Iím overstimulated I just need to hide somewhere quiet, dark and cozy. When I was in college, I used to hide in the disabled toilet with the light off. I would stuff my coat at the bottom of the door so that the light wouldnít get in and I would just sit in total darkness for a few minutes. Obviously I would make sure there were enough cubicles for other disabled people to use and I would try not to take too much time, but it wasnít really an issue for me. Sometimes a bit of sensory deprivation can help me reset my brain. Perhaps it may be useful for emotional overload as well?
The Following User Says Thank You to MindBlind For This Useful Post:
stef (09-28-18)
Old 09-28-18, 03:34 AM

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think it's a sensory thing for me as well.
the thing that works for me is to sit completely still with feet up and wrapped in a blanket, and watch tv.

I was in the states for my aunt's funeral and well that was an emotional day;
it was raining and ppl asked if i needed a ride but I said no worries I'll get a Lyft ( it was out of their way and really i was maxed out in talking by then).
so i went to the lyft app but my bank had decided that my lyft rides were 'suspicious activity", and my account was blocked. By now everyone had left. So I had to call the bank from the church and validate the charges.

well i got back to the hotel and sat propped up on those 10 billion pillows with my plush travel blanket around my shoulders and watched Dr Phil. I didn't nap but also i was completely immobile and didn't zap around during the commercials. I felt ok an hour later, got some coffee, fixed makeup and went back out to see a friend.

( this may not be a viable solution for the more hyperactive members here )
Old 09-29-18, 11:43 AM

foreverbeach11 is on a distinguished road

When I'm feeling overwhelmed, I sleep too. Have you considered exercising or going for a walk with calming music playing? I can usually calm down by exercising. It usually makes me feel better. Have you thought about having positive affirmations on hand. Maybe right down some things on a note card that you can read out loud when you are feeling overwhelmed. Wishing you the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to foreverbeach11 For This Useful Post:
MindBlind (09-30-18)
Old 09-30-18, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverbeach11 View Post
When I'm feeling overwhelmed, I sleep too. Have you considered exercising or going for a walk with calming music playing? I can usually calm down by exercising. It usually makes me feel better. Have you thought about having positive affirmations on hand. Maybe right down some things on a note card that you can read out loud when you are feeling overwhelmed. Wishing you the best.
Positive affirmations have a backfiring effect on me, but I do like walking. The only issue is that my area isnít a great place for that, but itís not like I live in the Congo so I should be fine. Been thinking about walking my neighbors dog regularly. They said it would be okay and I like dogs so that can help. Thanks!
Old 01-11-19, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

When my emotions build up until a meltdown, it's usually because of one of these factors:

1. I failed to express assertively what I wanted in a situation, and then once I get taken advantage of I feel resentful and blow up.
2. I failed to express honestly what my emotions were in a healthy way: "I am experiencing [x] because you [y] and I would like you to [z]. Then I would feel better." For example, "I am experiencing anger because you really inconvenienced me by being late and I would like you to be on time next time. Then I would feel better." When I don't do that, the alternative is to let the feelings build up, feel I am impotent to express them, and then they finally explode in a volcano of blame and self-pity. Pretty toxic!
3. Live to please others. Usually leads to a lot of resentment, because no-one will ever be as appreciative as I want them to be, and I don't get to be myself and do the things that make me happy.

Just some thoughts!

Regards,
Daniel

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.

Last edited by Daniel1970; 01-11-19 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-28-19)