ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-18, 12:25 PM
Jr Member

hipsterdoofus is on a distinguished road
Feeling guilty and discredited because I take stimulants..

Hey everyone, I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Quick backstory: I've been struggling at community college for several years; my transcript pre-diagnosis was entirely W's and C's. After being diagnosed with ADHD 6 months ago and starting stimulants, I've earned A's in all of my classes. I've always known I was capable of doing well in school, but just couldn't no matter how badly I wanted to.

Jumping forward to today, I can't stop myself from feeling like I'm cheating or being given an advantage because I take meds and feeling as though my instructors discredit me because I get accommodations (test taking in another room and extended time). I just completed an accelerated science course that I failed pre-diagnosis. This time around, I had meds so I was able to apply myself and work my butt off to end up with over 100% in the class. Even though I put in the work, I feel like I didn't truly earn it and I wonder if the professor thinks that, too. I keep reminding myself that it's just leveling the playing field, but I feel disheartened and frustrated. Anyone relate?