ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 07-13-14, 11:29 PM
Contributor

MADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Fastest route to Maths & Science Catchup

Ruby, hey chick - I've just sent you a Private Message. You'll find it if you click on "User CP", In the blue bar across the top of the ADDForum screen.
Cheers
MADD

ADHD explained. UNC Burnett Lectures
Dr Russell Barkley - 2012
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...ssell-barkley/

Dr Patricia Quinn - 2011 - ADD in girls and women.
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...atricia-quinn/

MADD as a Hatter. Bull in a china shop. The angel who rushed in where fools feared to tread. That just about says it all.
Old 07-14-14, 07:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,816 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fastest route to Maths & Science Catchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.149.42 View Post
Yes I have a supervisor and dept but this is my project. The thing is at this point in time I'm almost doing a high-level survey of the field and trying to figure out how a lot of different pieces fit together. But I'm missing some basics which I've been fine with from a top-down viewpoint for earlier levels but I don't feel are enough now. So for example, papers talking about gene expression, neuroscience etc which I can scan and get the gist, but I want to be able to properly scrutinise. Same point I was making in my TygerSan post. I don't doubt I could blag my way through a PhD together on my current level of knowledge .. just to get the PhD, but this is not why I'm doing it .. I really want to be able to critically evaluate and get full meaning of a ton of science which at the moment I can only get gist (of some - some, not at all!).

So as before, I got HD's in all my neuro topics and can blab away about sodium channels but I have no idea what even an ion is. Not really. Same with genetics, I can quote you stuff on methylation .. but I don't know what methylation is or double helixes etc. At this point in time I feel like a bit of a fraud .. like I'm a walking-talking example of the Turing Test.
I wouldn't recommend blagging your way through your PhD. I know many people do that and it's entirely possible but I'm glad that you've decided to do a PhD because you are actually interested in your chosen topic.

What I meant was, look up everything you don't understand and yes, that includes things like "ions" and "methylation".

I just meant that you don't need to start with a complete understanding and knowledge of everything that might be related to your topic. Most PhD students spend most of their first year just studying the literature and background knowledge. Doing a PhD (or any research) is as much about learning as it is about coming up with novel work.

There's tons I need to look up and learn every time I start a new research project and reading and learning continues throughout the course of the project.