ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-14, 02:53 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,306 Times in 8,616 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you 'quiet your mind'?

I can vouch for the truth of what davesf is saying. I am one of those who tends to focus on logic and who lives in the head far too much. Only by differentiating into the heart and body could I make real progress. I had to learn my feelings.
Unmanagable (03-28-14)
Old 03-28-14, 05:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

if you are talking about the internal monologue in my head then no
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following User Says Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
burger (10-20-15)
Old 03-28-14, 06:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

DistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really nice

For about 10 or 12 seconds today I experienced total 'now-ness'. The wind, the leaves... it was like watching the world passing by in HD.

Also something strange is happening with my imagination, images are coming to me from a place of calm I had forgotten. I snoozed and half dreamed a whole story in the form of a manga style comic. That has *never* happened before. (I don't even read comics.)
Kinda wished I could draw.

Finally managed a social situation without excess stress or anxiety, just returning to remaining present.

This is dramatic!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DistractedLemur For This Useful Post:
burger (10-20-15), davesf (03-29-14), sarek (03-29-14), Unmanagable (04-19-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-14, 04:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

davesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to all

@DistractedLimur - That is so AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope to one day get enough of my "junk out of the way" to have the type of mental imagery experience you described.

Can you share more about how you got there? What techniques did you try? What worked for you? What did it feel like at first? What messages resonated and helped the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandatoritess View Post
if you are talking about the internal monologue in my head then no
@mirandatoritess - My message to you is that it *IS* possible to quiet that internal monologue in your head, and doing so is a HUGE improvement. I posted how I did it in this thread, however, everyone has to find their own path to doing it. Mindfulness meditation and emotional release seem to be important elements. I read a book called "10% happier" where someone found this using mindfulness during an silent meditation retreat.
daveddd (03-29-14), DistractedLemur (04-01-14), sarek (03-29-14), Unmanagable (04-19-14)
Old 04-18-14, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

DistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
@DistractedLimur - That is so AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope to one day get enough of my "junk out of the way" to have the type of mental imagery experience you described.

Can you share more about how you got there? What techniques did you try? What worked for you? What did it feel like at first? What messages resonated and helped the most?
Hey, no new breakthroughs to report I'm afraid but I'm still working to develop better habits.

I don't even remember who said what, I've taken inspiration from here and there.

Someone posted about being 'literally absent minded', that resonated with me a lot. After trying to be more self-aware for a week or two it really shocked me how often I go on little mental trips and also how often I think of doing something but don't act.

Someone said something like 'your brain is like a dog, it's stupid, you need to train it'. I really like that and I really think it makes sense. I feel like there's a higher consciousness piggy-backing on top of the monkey brain/body organism it inhabits. This accounts for a lot!

I'm trying hard to keep bringing myself back to the present every time I catch myself wandering. l take a deep breath and sort of make myself inhabit my senses. I also try to push myself from thought to action more quickly when I think of doing things. I hope that getting into the habit of doing things with little things will have a bigger effect later on.

If I'm getting anxious before a social scenario I remind myself how it makes no sense to have an anxiety response to a situation with no danger, return to being present, focus on a little deep breathing and reset my body language. I've watched Amy Cuddy she's great. Also Dog Whisperer.

During social stuff I'll check my body language and reset it every so often, and keep bringing myself back to being present. When you do that and take a deep breath and just pause a second to look around the room it's funny how you notice all the other people looking a bit awkward or nervous, then you see the other people who look confident and think 'Hey, I'm doing body language like that!'.

Another thing that stood out was drogheda's Double-Loop Thinking post where you go back over the thought you had and turn it around. For example I had a day where I was really frustrated and thought 'I'm going to punch that wall', but instead I took a second and thought 'I'm going to take some frustration out doing push-ups'. So then I did a load of push-ups (trying to do them mindfully) and felt awful and like I wanted to throw up but then later was slightly proud of myself for doing push-ups.

It's still pretty noisy in here but I feel like these are good things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DistractedLemur For This Useful Post:
sarek (04-19-14), Unmanagable (04-19-14)
Old 04-19-14, 09:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,371 Times in 3,012 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
I like that term "action oriented". I couldn't passively relax into that place people are searching for, so I found "active" ways to move towards it. Trapped mental stress and anxiety was in the way, so I tried to "actively" remove it.

Today I think I would benefit from formal mindfulness therapy and imaginary exposure. However, I wonder if it would have worked on me before my medication-assisted emotional release. I was pretty oblivious to suggestion, marketing, hypnotism, my wife, kids, therapist, etc. -- pretty much a wall of distrust. I also previously found it very uncomfortable to do yoga because my mind kept chattering. I suspect that tunnel was a self-induced state of stress to narrow cognitive focus and hide from emotions. Regardless of the cause, those in a similar state may be hard to reach.

I can see this risk. What does "settling" imply exactly? Over what time-frame?

I settled well that evening and slept well. However, it was in the following days that I had my trip through alleged hypomania. My theory is that I was blocking out the medication, so when I stopped the block, the dopamine came like a flood. They also tell me it's not great to cold-turkey off Concerta, which I ended up doing, not realizing it could be a contributing factor. Alternatively, I may have naturally built up a surplus of both brain chemicals as part of my "stress", when I let the negative chemicals burn away, I may have been left with a surplus of positive chemicals. I'll never know for sure what happened.

Agreed. There is so much imprecision in these pesky words! While I feel "more awake" and "more real time", I can also see I'm not operating at the limit, nor is it clear what the limit is exactly.

The deep rabbit hole about matter is whether the physical laws of the universe have a fixed structure, or if matter is resonant information waves made stable by something other than rules -- aka, our collective inner conciousness (aka, the one-ness of all things), one or many supervisor conciousnesses (aka, gods), or the simulation system it runs on. The intersection of science and theology.

Which begs the questions... is satori/kensho another word for hypomania? is satori a hypomania which we don't let control us? Is it something entirely different? Which did I experience?

Do you have any (non-medication) recommendations about how I might go about seeking "daig-tettei" -- a deeper and more consistent experience?

I work on moment-to-moment mindfulness all day long. I periodically take time to meditate and 'defocus' while watching a moving scene -- a moving tree or a leg or arm works well (to percieve the normally imperceptible muscle twitches). I'm also starting to study the art and philosophy of Jeet Kune Do.

I also did some searching and found reference to Zen Koans, though I find linguistics very quickly recruit my linear-thought, so I'm not sure about that route.
Koans are meant to do that-- and then to infuriate the logical mind by giving it an unresolvable problem.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (04-19-14)
Old 04-19-14, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

davesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to alldavesf is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
Quote:
I also did some searching and found reference to Zen Koans, though I find linguistics very quickly recruit my linear-thought, so I'm not sure about that route.
Koans are meant to do that-- and then to infuriate the logical mind by giving it an unresolvable problem.
YES! I have now experienced the joyful "feeling" of Zen Koans. It's really remarkable.

The unsolvable non-sensical puzzle of randomness can somehow force the logical system to let go. I've "felt" the results. It's odd though that Koan books tend to come with a bunch of analysis which simply satisfies my logical mind and shuts down the whole process. I now just ignore that and read and enjoy the Koan itself.

This seems to work similarly to tools improv performers use to "warm up" their emotional minds and come to relaxed presence. For example, by looking around a room, pointing at an object, and saying a random word which is not the object. It's creating non-sensical random input which relaxes the logical mind - or something.
Unmanagable (04-19-14)
Old 08-13-14, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

lmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nice

Meditation has exponentially helped me with quieting my mind, even if just for a little while. It took a while for me to really grasp since I'm so used to the incessantly scattered thoughts bouncing off the walls of my mind.

Embarrassingly enough, it took a lot of practice before even getting to the point of momentary inner silence. But once I experienced it, it was so profoundly liberating that I've been dedicated to daily meditation every day since then. From the moment I wake up I'm bombarded with a million random thoughts all begging for my attention at once so it's extremely euphoric to be able to escape from the utter madness every once in a while.

I think meditation and other forms of turning off the mind can be immensely beneficial for ADDers. Personally, however, I've found that it unfortunately doesn't help to alleviate any of the symptoms of ADD when I'm not meditating. It has had other unrelated benefits which I'm grateful for, but when it comes to ADD I sort of compare it to medication: it works while being used, but does nothing to help when not being used. In other words, it doesn't have any long-term benefits for me. But to at least have those 30 minutes of total silence twice a day is something to be happy about.

I also love lucid dreaming (and dreaming in general), since the parts of the brain that facilitate ADD are turned off so to speak. That's also very liberating. My most creative sparks happen during both meditation and dreaming.

So even though it's a pain in the *** for ADDers to actually learn, quieting the mind is tremendously powerful. Especially for people with ADD. The tranquility that I experience is incomparable and its rarity makes it that much more treasured.

I highly suggest that everyone with ADD really make a commitment to learn some form of quieting the mind. Yes, I know, actually following through with a commitment (yikes) is an extremely difficult process but I promise it will be well worth it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lmg2474 For This Useful Post:
burger (10-20-15), Daniel1970 (09-05-18)
Old 06-11-15, 04:01 PM
Jr Member

MarriKimmi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Can you 'quiet your mind'?

If you are hyperfocusing at things you like? Pets make me relax and stop thinking like a tornado. I just watch them, and enjoy them

Old 06-11-15, 05:20 PM

Headroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistractedLemur View Post
For about 10 or 12 seconds today I experienced total 'now-ness'. The wind, the leaves... it was like watching the world passing by in HD.

Also something strange is happening with my imagination, images are coming to me from a place of calm I had forgotten. I snoozed and half dreamed a whole story in the form of a manga style comic. That has *never* happened before. (I don't even read comics.)
Kinda wished I could draw.

Finally managed a social situation without excess stress or anxiety, just returning to remaining present.

This is dramatic!
Interesting. Years of practicing mindfulness resulted no thoughts running through my head unless I was making a purposeful effort to think about something or drunk a lot by myself. With the exception of when I was provoked - in which case I had agonizing thoughts which years of meditation were powerless against. I realized how much I missed the associative self-dialogue, when it started again when I began to take bupropion after a long break.

As for break-throughs - when not taking medication that worked, I had them occasionally perhaps once every couple of years - typically in the evening around 6PM when it was light or a few times when I had very little sleep.
Old 06-11-15, 05:31 PM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, yes, I can quiet my mind any time I want to.
The final barrier proved to be a tendency to dehydration-- once I understood that and the effect it was having on cerebral perfusion I gained the ability to quiet my mind any time I want.
The only time it is tricky now is just as I drift off to sleep.
In Buddhist teaching this is meant to be quite hard- but once you value that silence it is possible to find it and feed it.
Start in meditation by simply observing your thoughts and watching for the spaces between them- they get bigger as you pay more attention to them.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (06-17-15)
Old 10-20-15, 02:02 PM

BioLiberate is on a distinguished road

10 minutes of absolute silence (I'm not talking about you sitting somewhere and being quite) can help your bran recover as much as an entire night's sleep.

You'll have a difficult time doing almost anything until you practice.
burger (10-20-15)
Old 10-20-15, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

Nah my mind never goes silent. Even when it feels like it does, I cannot not think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
burger (10-20-15)
Old 10-20-15, 07:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

burger is a jewel in the roughburger is a jewel in the roughburger is a jewel in the rough

I can meditate these days but I still think nearly constantly but it's slowed down a bit. I think I have altered my mind a noticeable amount but I still have a ways to go.
Old 10-26-15, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger View Post
I can meditate these days but I still think nearly constantly but it's slowed down a bit. I think I have altered my mind a noticeable amount but I still have a ways to go.
If, every now and then, you can watch your mind and see the endless parade of "blah blah blah" be interrupted with a pause: " Blah- blah- space- blah"-- then--- watch this space.

Everything any of us needs to know is contained within the "space" between the "blahs".

Once you have seen one space between the "blahs", then you are open to a new world.

Mind you- being open to that world, and dwelling in it are 2 different subjects, even though they are filed in the same category.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.