ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-13, 07:36 PM

Thanked 3,890 Times in 1,911 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Head Banging

ME TOO ME TOOO
And my brother!!! When we were really little we banged our heads on the walls in our room and actually put holes in the wall. LOL how crazy is that. Weird little tots.

This is so wild!! Oh my god. I can't believe other people do this too. I taught myself to stop cuz....boyfriends and stuff.
I did it because it was soothing. And also I move my legs (I was reading about restless legs syndrome, it's like that I guess, maybe?)

Thank you for talking about this.
Old 05-04-17, 04:45 PM

suzyq1 is on a distinguished road

After 48 years of nicely bouncing my head especially with my new "My Pillow" that has a really nice spring to it. I thought I might look this up. My folks say I have done this since I was a baby. Scaring the hell out of the babysitter who was wondering when I would start spewing up green pea soup and my head would rotate 360 degrees. I always figured it was a way to release the extra energy at the end of the day. My sister used to bounce really hard only in the back seat of the car. My brother also used to rock while sitting watching tv or eating. They both stopped with adolescence maybe even earlier. I still to this day will enjoy a good head bounce. My husband just laughs when I do it. If he's not in bed its guaranteed I will be bouncing. But most of the time I will lay on my side and rock as to not wake him up. I guess I find it to be soothing. None of my three children have any rocking tendencies. I'm interested to know if it does have something to do with the sound. I'm going to keep reading further. I never think about it so I have never asked a doctor even when I was diagnosed ADD several years ago.
Old 05-04-17, 06:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,159 Times in 9,705 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a side rocker and always have been.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-17, 08:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Zoom Dude is a name known to allZoom Dude is a name known to allZoom Dude is a name known to allZoom Dude is a name known to allZoom Dude is a name known to allZoom Dude is a name known to allZoom Dude is a name known to all

I have no experience with any of this, so please treat my comment as the wild speculation that it is -

It seems everyone agrees this behavior has to do with stress, and is a way to soothe oneself to relieve stress. It doesn't seem to be harmful, but it's not behavior you want to display in public.

I wonder if you could change the situation by practicing mindfulness meditation (MM)? My gut tells me you would not use MM as a direct substitute, as in meditating instead of head banging (bouncing, rocking, etc.), although that might actually work. It seems to me that you'd be better off practicing MM regularly to put yourself on a more even keel emotionally, to make it easier to bring yourself back to center when stress levels rise.

MM is not something you pick up instantly, you have to try it, stay with it and bring the practice and the needs of your head and your situation to a point where they all meet in the middle. But it does seem to me that it could be a way to transfer one behavior into another in a way that improves your life.

Or not. But I think it's worth a try.

ZD

If ADHD was more prevalent it would be "normal". It would shape all of society, just as it shapes our individual lives now.

Those with an excessive need for order, consistency and timeliness would face a lifelong struggle. Most of us "normals" would wonder why they don't lighten up and be more open to life's ebb and flow.

"Normal" is a meaningless concept. Reality is what it is. How we choose to deal with it is what defines us.
Old 05-06-17, 11:16 AM
Jr Member

SecretlyaFish is on a distinguished road

Possibly autism? I have a younger brother who has autism, and he rocks and does that stuff constantly due to stimming. Can be odd sometimes but, he's always done it and it makes him comfortable so its fine. Don't worry about it.
Old 05-06-17, 12:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,159 Times in 9,705 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I'm a side rocker and always have been.
Only in bed. Always.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 05-16-17, 11:11 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of

apparently when i was really small, like too small to walk up the stairs, i would bang my head at the base. and i think i did it against the wall sometimes too. it didn't help that i had multiple head injuries either lol

-neutral milk hotel