ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 03-14-10, 11:58 PM

kcouch is on a distinguished road
Difference between Wellbutrin & generics

My husband and I have taken Wellbutrin for several years. We have both taken the 150SR version and he is currently on the 300XL. The Wellbutrin brand name has always worked extremely well, but when we tried generics from different companies, we had horrible reactions. Because we are now retired, we can no longer afford the brand name, so I began doing research to find out the difference between the brand name and the generics.

As it turned out, Glaxo Smith Kline's patent on the main ingredient in Wellbutrin, bupropion, expired some time ago and generics began popping up immediately. However, the Wellbutrin brand name tablets had a longer patent on something else besides the main drug ingredients - they had a film coating for extended release that did not dissolve and allowed the medication to filter out at a fairly constant rate. All the generics, at first, only had the erodable (dissolving) type tablets. These were affected by many things and the delivery of the drug was very different from the film-coated Wellbutrin tablets. At some point, the Watson drug company got together with Glaxo Smith Kline and began selling a generic form of Wellbutrin tablets which came from the same lab as the brand name Wellbutrin - they were the SAME tablet from the same place, just white in color. The only size available with the film coating was 150 SR. I used these successfully for a couple of years. I still am getting refills at my pharmacy (they ordered in the Watson 150 SR generic for me). I don't know if there will be any more when their big bottle runs out since Watson is in a lawsuit with Biovail.

In my recent research, I found that Sandoz is now also making and marketing a film coated generic. They are also being sued. It will be interesting to see what happens. Glaxo Smith Kline sold out to Biovail Labs. Hope this information sheds some light.

I forgot to tell you that I went to the FDA site and looked up the clinical trial they did in 2007. Even though they stated that the erodable generic tablet they tested was within their guidelines, the graph between the brand name Wellbutrin and the generic by TEVA was very interesting. The TEVA tablet had dumped more than 60-70% of its medication into the bloodstream within 1.75 hours. The brand name Wellbutrin took nearly 5 hours to release the same amount. People are just getting over-medicated for 2-3 hours when they take the erodable generics, particularly if they take a larger dose (300 mg SR) and take it with food. The generics release faster with food than on an empty stomach.
I'm not a scientist or a doctor, only an old schoolteacher. I suggest that if you are really interested in this topic, it would be a good idea to check it out for yourself. What I have found might help you get started. Here is the link to the FDA study and the comparison graph of Wellbutrin vs Teva generic. http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersO.../ucm153270.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to kcouch For This Useful Post:
Ozymandias (04-08-10)
Old 03-16-10, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about
Re: Difference between Wellbutrin & generics

Wow, that makes a lot of sense to me! I just switched from the Actavis generic version to name brand Wellbutrin. With the generic, I feel that I got more benefit in terms of motivation and positive mood. I was able to accomplish more and felt generally happier. However, I had headaches, a short period of irritability during the day, a short period of ultra sleepiness, and then I got a second wind. With the name brand Wellbrutrin I find that I feel a little more tired throughout the day and not as motivated, however, I do not feel the ups and downs that I did with the generic. I also do not get headaches.

I'm wondering if I just need to give the name brand Wellbutrin more time. I was on the generic for several weeks, and I've only been on the brand for a few days. I've read that with stimulants, sometimes if you feel tired, you have too low of a dose. Is it the same with this type of drug? Do I need to increase my dose to 300mg XL? I only weigh 100 lbs but maybe that's not a factor? I hope this starts working a little better b/c at this rate, I'm not sure why I'm taking it.