ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 01-11-10, 01:24 AM

Hello24 is on a distinguished road
Question for adults on low ritalin dosage

Hi,

I got diagnosed with adult ADD last year. I have been trying meds since then and found ritalin to be the best.

My question is, do any of you take a 5mg dose of ritalin several times a day? eg 5mg three times a day?

I am on 10mg of ritalin 3 times a day. It is okay but I find that sometimes I get zombiefied and have trouble reading, and then become clear headed later. So now I'm trying 5mg 3 times a day.

Are there other adults in this forum who take 5mg several times a day? What is your gender? Age?

I just need enough ritalin to block out external stimuli and focus on what I need to do, but want to avoid becoming overly rigid and reduced fluidity of thinking?

Also how does ritalin affect your short term memory?

Please all replies will be much appreciate.

Thanks again guys and girls!
Old 01-11-10, 02:45 PM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all
Re: Question for adults on low ritalin dosage

The short answer is yes. I started out on 10mg 2x times per day. However, I have found it to be more effective to take 5mg 3 or 4 times per day. I know that does not seem like much to some people, but it works for me. 10mg seemed to be too much for me, especially if I took more than one dose of it. Like you stated, I just need enough to reduce distractions and help me to stayed focused better, especially if I need to be in meetings or not move around as much. Sometimes, I will take as little as 2.5mg depending on the situation. I am prescribed up to a total of 20mg per day. How I take it is kind of up to me (based on support from my doc).

BTW, I am a 49 year old male. I was just diagnosed about one year ago.

It does seem to help my short-term memory if for no other reason that I do not get distracted as often.
The Following User Says Thank You to andyum For This Useful Post:
Kittenbby (12-03-17)
Old 01-11-10, 05:13 PM

smc3rd is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Question for adults on low ritalin dosage

I was just diagnosed last year , and I started on 5mg of Ritlin twice a several months ago.

However, taking Ritlin for me was a bridge to starting Concerta - same drug, but longer lasting.

On the Ritlin, my results were different everyday - great concerntation one day, dog tired and drowsy the next. However, on the Concerta (27mg), I find my results to be good concentration and consistant everyday.

I also like taking Concerta because I don't like taking multiple dosages per day. The Concerta is just once in the mornings.
The Following User Says Thank You to smc3rd For This Useful Post:
Hello24 (01-13-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 08:43 PM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc3rd View Post
I was just diagnosed last year , and I started on 5mg of Ritlin twice a several months ago.

However, taking Ritlin for me was a bridge to starting Concerta - same drug, but longer lasting.

On the Ritlin, my results were different everyday - great concerntation one day, dog tired and drowsy the next. However, on the Concerta (27mg), I find my results to be good concentration and consistant everyday.

I also like taking Concerta because I don't like taking multiple dosages per day. The Concerta is just once in the mornings.
Glad concerta is working for you. I tried the long acting Adderall at first but did not like it. I have not tried Concerta or any of the long-acting ritalin meds. While I do have to remember to take my dose throughout the day (I use alarms on my watch to remind me), I like the flexibility of tailoring my dose to my needs for the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to andyum For This Useful Post:
Hello24 (01-13-10)
Old 01-13-10, 11:29 AM

Hello24 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Andyum and smc3rd,

I really appreciate your feedback and advice.
I am trying out the 5mg instead of 10mg, the less I can get away with taking the better I believe.
I have tried concerta before but it didn't agree with me. Like you Andyum I like being able to tailor and modify my ritalin dose as needed.

Does anyone know if ritalin will cause brain damage or alter brain chemistry with long term use? Has anyone here noticed a decline in their mental abilities?

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-31-14, 08:06 AM
Jr Member

Polynieces is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyum View Post
The short answer is yes. I started out on 10mg 2x times per day. However, I have found it to be more effective to take 5mg 3 or 4 times per day. I know that does not seem like much to some people, but it works for me. 10mg seemed to be too much for me, especially if I took more than one dose of it. Like you stated, I just need enough to reduce distractions and help me to stayed focused better, especially if I need to be in meetings or not move around as much. Sometimes, I will take as little as 2.5mg depending on the situation. I am prescribed up to a total of 20mg per day. How I take it is kind of up to me (based on support from my doc).

BTW, I am a 49 year old male. I was just diagnosed about one year ago.

It does seem to help my short-term memory if for no other reason that I do not get distracted as often.
I was on Vyvanse 50 mg-- worked for 2 hours. I had gastric bypass and after 4 years on Vyvanse and other extended release medications) discovered that the GB precludes Vyvanse from working effectively, since XR medication needs duodenum's acids to place medication into blood stream. I just started Ritalin 5 mg (3X) a day. Effective? Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-14, 02:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

I'm female in my 20's. I went from Ritalin 10-15mg 4X to Ritalin 5mg X 1 because I couldn't tolerate higher doses due to medical problems and side effects. The 5mg helped a little with my attention and memory issues but didn't do as much as the 10-15mg X 4 I used to be on before my medical problems started. Then I switched to Daytrana 10, which worked a little better than Ritalin 5, but it often also gave me bad side effects. Then I switched back to Ritalin 10mg, which worked better than the 5mg but still not well enough to control my symptoms and it also gave me horrible side effects. Now I'm trying Adderall.

If Ritalin 5mg works well enough and gives you less side effects than Ritalin 10mg, then the 5mg is probably better for you. If you find that Ritalin 5 doesn't help your ADD symptoms as much, you may want to consider going back to the 10mg or switching to a different ADD med.
Old 09-02-14, 11:33 AM

chelona is on a distinguished road

I take Ritalin LA 10 mg 1 time daily, for many years now, and it works fine for me. I did not recogniced any decline or side effects yet. I couldn`t get along with Concerta,too.
Old 09-13-14, 03:19 PM

Lifesucks is on a distinguished road

I have today started on my first ever adhd drug. 5mg x 3 but only took one today. Not noticed anything but my dr said as its such a low dose i wont. 5mg x3 one wk then 10mg x3 further wk then review. I will let u know if there is any difference ...
Old 09-27-14, 12:07 AM
Contributor

HADDaball has disabled reputation

oops!

Last edited by HADDaball; 09-27-14 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: retracted - answering OP on old thread
Old 10-15-17, 07:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

I'm beginning to realise that I respond far better to 10mg (30mg a day) than 15mg (45mg a day) of ritalin. I find I become extremely tense, withdrawn, anxious on the higher dose. The smells I emit are truly horrendous too, which only heightens my levels of anxiety.

Is it common for those with predominant ADHD to benefit more from low doses of stimulants?

Though I am still to discern if ritalin is the right medication for my symptoms - daydreaming, inattentiveness, restlessness, poor memory, procrastination, inability to organise thoughts, blank phases etc. - I must say that I have been extremely encouraged when I have seen positive side effects from the drug. It's just a great shame that they have been terribly inconsistent. I guess my autism label might well complicate matters even further.

I also wonder what's generally seen as the best type of stimulant for those with ADHD PI. I know adderall is very highly thought of but I don't believe it's prescribed to those based in the UK.