ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 10-08-17, 06:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Ritalin + vinpocetine

I am trying earnestly to alleviate brain fog as much as possible throughout the day, but 10mg of ritalin only works for a few hours. I read an article that states vinpocentine and korean ginseng are two excellent supplements to try for those who suffer with brain fog due to ADHD. But I don't want to try them if they will end up negatively affecting the stimulating effects of ritalin.

If anyone has tried the combination, I would love to hear of your experiences....thanks.
Old 10-08-17, 06:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,481 Times in 12,099 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ritalin + vinpocetine

Maybe 10mg three times daily would work better. That is what I used to take.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 10-08-17, 06:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Maybe 10mg three times daily would work better. That is what I used to take.
Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear.

I take 10mg on three each occasions each day. They are usually taken at 8am, 12pm and 4pm.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 07:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quick google search:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
I am trying earnestly to alleviate brain fog as much as possible throughout the day, but 10mg of ritalin only works for a few hours. I read an article that states vinpocentine and korean ginseng are two excellent supplements to try for those who suffer with brain fog due to ADHD. But I don't want to try them if they will end up negatively affecting the stimulating effects of ritalin.

If anyone has tried the combination, I would love to hear of your experiences....thanks.

Quote:
Vinpocetine is a man-made chemical resembling a substance found in the periwinkle plant Vinca minor. People use it as medicine.

Vinpocetine production requires considerable laboratory work, stretching the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) definition of a dietary supplement. Vinpocetine is sold by prescription in Germany under the brand name Cavinton. It has also been referred to generically as cavinton. Although website advertising claims that "more than a hundred" safety and effectiveness studies have been funded by the Hungarian manufacturer Gedeon Richter, few double-blind controlled clinical studies have been published. Double-blind controlled clinical studies are considered the gold standard for establishing safety and effectiveness.

Because some people think vinpocetine might improve blood flow to the brain, it is used for enhancing memory and preventing Alzheimer’s disease and other conditions that harm learning, memory, and information processing skills as people age.

Vinpocetine is also used for preventing and reducing the chance of disability and death from ischemic stroke. This is the type of stroke that occurs when a blood clot stops blood flow in the brain, causing brain cells (neurons) to die because they are not receiving oxygen. People try vinpocetine for preventing and treating stroke right after it happens because they think vinpocetine might help keep blood from clotting and might also protect neurons against the harmful effects of oxygen deprivation.

Other uses for vinpocetine include treating symptoms of menopause, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), and seizure disorders; and preventing motion sickness.

Quote:
Insufficient Evidence for:
An eye disease called age-related macular degeneration (AMD). AMD is a condition that causes vision loss in some older people. Early research shows that taking vinpocetine by mouth for 2 months might improve vision in people with AMD.
Hearing loss. Early research suggests that giving vinpocetine intravenously (by IV) for 10 days does not improve hearing in people with hearing loss.
Dialysis (hemodialysis). Early research suggests that taking vinpocetine daily for up to one year reduces the build-up of calcium around the joints in people with kidney failure who require hemodialysis.
Improving memory. Early research suggests that vinpocetine might enhance memory in normal volunteers. Taking vinpocetine along with ginkgo also appears to improve short-term memory in healthy adults.
Stroke. There is some evidence that vinpocetine might slightly reduce brain damage due to acute ischemic stroke. There have been only a few clinical studies investigating the use of vinpocetine for stroke, and most have been published in languages other than English. Scientific reviews of these studies found there wasn’t enough agreement among the studies to establish the effectiveness of vinpocetine for ischemic stroke.
Ringing in the ears (tinnitus). Some early research suggests that giving vinpocetine by mouth and intravenously (by IV) along with physiotherapy might reduce ringing in the ears. However, giving vinpocetine by IV appears to be less effective than the drug nicergoline in reducing ringing in the ears caused by intense sound.
Bed-wetting and related urine control problems. Early research suggests that taking vinpocetine for 2 weeks might reduce the number of times a person with this condition needs to urinate during the day or at night.
Prevention of Alzheimer's disease.
Motion sickness.
Symptoms of menopause.
Seizures.
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of vinpocetine for these uses.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-08-17), midnightstar (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 09:20 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,854 Times in 14,110 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Mod Note: Please be aware of our med misuse guidelines when posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidelines
NO posts involving O.D.s, illegal or improper use of Medication are allowed

In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way. This includes talk about overdoses or O.D.'s.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE OVERDOSED OR TAKEN TOO MUCH MEDICATION OR ARE HAVING SIDE EFFECTS THAT ARE SEVERE ENOUGH THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE HEALTH, DON'T WASTE TIME BY POSTING HERE - GO TO THE HOSPITAL, CALL YOUR DOCTOR OR LOCAL CRISIS HOTLINE, AND DO IT NOW!

ALL POSTS THAT DEAL WITH THE ABOVE ISSUES WILL BE DELETED AS SOON AS THEY ARE DISCOVERED.

We at ADDFORUMS aren't trained to handle a crisis, we can't track down a person in need of assistance and we can't summon help. To put the people here in the position where they feel that they have to do such things is not acceptable.

We have a Private Forum dealing with Substance Abuse and Addictions.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 10-08-17, 09:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
Mod Note: Please be aware of our med misuse guidelines when posting:

Perhaps I am being dense but I fail to see how my post has broken the rules. I have not misused medication; I am merely trying to ascertain if it's safe to take those two medications alongside one an other.

I am sorry if I have broken the forum's rules.
Old 10-08-17, 10:06 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,854 Times in 14,110 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
Perhaps I am being dense but I fail to see how my post has broken the rules. I have not misused medication; I am merely trying to ascertain if it's safe to take those two medications alongside one an other.

I am sorry if I have broken the forum's rules.
The mod note was simply so nobody crossed that line
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (10-08-17)