ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-17, 09:25 AM
Moonfairy Moonfairy is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moonfairy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I hate ritalin! Please advise

I'm currently on 18mg concerta +10mg ritalin taken in the morning, another 10mg in the afternoon and an extra 10mg to take as required in the evening.

First, ritalin gives me headaches. It didn't used to, initially but it started to and my head hurts so bad I can't function. I tried lowering the dose or medication(at which point, I get no effect from the dose, and a headache 2 hours afterwards for ritalin, 4~5 hours for concerta.). It's always there and the only way to just make it feel better is to get another dose of ritalin, but the headache afterwards is 2x as bad.

Secondly, I don't feel like myself on ritalin. I can't explain, I feel like I have lost my personality/spontaneity. When I'm on it, it feels like there's a shell around me that I have to penetrate first before speaking/acting. Basically this shell prevents me from acting on impulses(?). Like talking excessively, interrupting/dominating conversations. Also, it allows me to take notice of my surroundings (such as I'm no longer crossing the road only looking right, because I forgot to look left and the direction of the car is coming at me from the left).
All sounds great, however, I feel that I physically can't speak without having already formed a sentence in my head and evaluating the pros and cons of saying it before speaking it out loud. And when I finally decided to say it, it just seems awkward/unnatural lol.

Lastly and most importantly (headaches are also important), I feel depressed,anxious and tense. I get this feeling that I have wasted away all my life failing at things, I should be focused and work harder. So technically, my self esteem is low and I feel like ****.

Qns: Can I ask my doctor for a change in medication (stimulants)? Or if ritalin gave me side effects like these, all the other stimulants would?
If so, what stimulants?

Rant:
I honestly HATE being on ritalin, I have been avoiding taking it so much this semester I'm predicting a sharp fall in my grades.
Which is ****** up because the previous semester when I was finally diagnosed and put on ritalin halfway through, everything was clear as hell, I finally felt *present*, in the moment and I could follow my lectures and actually remember them afterwards. I had a pure math module in which I scored a distinction for. My very first test score for that very same module was barely a pass as I wasn't put on ritalin yet so the impact of the stimulants on me is very big.
Lectures obviously seemed easy and I was starting to trust myself a little more, in day to day function (remembering things) and in mathematical calculations which is a big thing for me....
But well, this semester... when I take my meds probably twice a week after forcing myself to do so because of everything I feel... my grades are all over the place lol.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-17, 09:46 AM
concentric's Avatar
concentric concentric is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
concentric is on a distinguished road
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

have you tried dexamphetamine? I was having the same side effects as you, although I was unable to do math problems on ritalin.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-17, 01:48 PM
Moonfairy Moonfairy is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moonfairy is on a distinguished road
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by concentric View Post
have you tried dexamphetamine? I was having the same side effects as you, although I was unable to do math problems on ritalin.
no, ritalin is the first and only stimulant I've tried.. did your headaches go away after the switch? I heard that ritalin is the least potent of all stimulants so if it makes you feel like ****, most likely, other stimulants are gonna make it worse =/
I was able to do math problems because I started being *present* in the moment so I was able to copy the question, write my equations, key it into the calculator and write the answer all...without any careless mistakes.
Honestly, it's a miracle. Over the years I developed OCD tendencies where I'd check the question against what I wrote down, then check the question against what I key into the calculator and against what I have written, for every single equation check and check and check so occasionally, by some miracle, I can have all the numbers written wrong, EVEN the question, yet have the correct answer.
haha

are you able to do math on dexamphetamine?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 10-07-17, 01:58 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 19,901
Thanks: 21,664
Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Ritalin and Concerta are the same basic medication, methylphenidate. Just
formulated differently so that one releases all at once and the other releases
once at the beginning and again a few hours later.

Has the doctor checked your blood pressure? Stimulants sometimes raise blood
pressure and that can cause headaches.

I don't know what medications are available in your country. Adderall, Vyvanse and Dexamphetamiine are all forms of amphetamine and may work better for
you without the side effect of the headache.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-17, 02:14 PM
Fraser_0762's Avatar
Fraser_0762 Fraser_0762 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the clouds?
Posts: 5,203
Thanks: 4,104
Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,100 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

The headaches are usually brought on by dehydration. Try drinking at least 2 litres of water throughout the day, it should help greatly.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-07-17)
  #6  
Old 10-07-17, 02:20 PM
Moonfairy Moonfairy is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moonfairy is on a distinguished road
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Ritalin and Concerta are the same basic medication, methylphenidate. Just
formulated differently so that one releases all at once and the other releases
once at the beginning and again a few hours later.

Has the doctor checked your blood pressure? Stimulants sometimes raise blood
pressure and that can cause headaches.

I don't know what medications are available in your country. Adderall, Vyvanse and Dexamphetamiine are all forms of amphetamine and may work better for
you without the side effect of the headache.
Hi, my blood pressure and heart rate is actually way better than before I went on the stimulants! Prior to this, I went to a ****ty psychiatrist who felt unqualified to diagnosed me ADHD and prescribed me with anti depressants instead. Needless to say, that royally screwed me over. I went to him for a year, when I first went I was desperate for help, my situation escalated and my heart rate was through the roof. And, still no help given by him...I had a resting heart rate of more than 100 on average and high side of average b/p like 121+ I think even tho I used to have problems with a low b/p.. So anxiety levels and feeling helpless wise, the use of ritalin has actually brought it way down. (last time I was in the clinic, my heart rate was 73 and my bp, well I can't rmb the higher number but the lower number was 63 I think. So that's pretty good. I was really psyched.)
For some reasons, the more often I use ritalin, the worser the side effects get over time.
I don't know how to explain but, I got relief from knowing that I'm in a better place now and I have control over my illness (hence the drop in b/p and heart rate I assume) but at the same time, when I get on the medication, I get depressed/anxious/stress. It wasn't like this the 1st 1.5 month I went on it, everything went smoothly and for the first time in my life, I felt more*normal*, my friends and classmates liked me more and I was just so happy.
Then the headaches started, followed by the anxiety, and then the depression so I stopped using my meds unless I honestly feel that I can't cope in lecture/with my school work. (By then, as usual, I'm already left too far behind...)

If it matters, I'm 20 y/o, female
5'6,102 pounds.

Last edited by Moonfairy; 10-07-17 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-17, 02:27 PM
Moonfairy Moonfairy is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moonfairy is on a distinguished road
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
The headaches are usually brought on by dehydration. Try drinking at least 2 litres of water throughout the day, it should help greatly.
Yes, I've tried =(
I've tried everything, from drinking more water, massaging the tension areas like the neck (helps a little), changing my sleeping posture, taking magnesium tablets, caffeine, no caffeine, twerking the amount of caffeine I take in conjunction with my ritalin dose, sleep more, sleep less, eating more and even FASTING TO DETOX! I've tried literally EVERYTHING.
I've been reading so many forums and articles on headaches for the past month, I've decided to just make one myself because I'm so desperate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-17, 03:24 PM
Little Missy's Avatar
Little Missy Little Missy is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BIG, Wonderful, Wyoming USA
Posts: 16,641
Thanks: 24,437
Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Try a couple of aspirin.
__________________
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you are uncool ~ Lester Bangs

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-17, 07:28 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,621
Thanks: 5,802
Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

amphetamines seem better suited for you.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-17, 12:54 PM
Moonfairy Moonfairy is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moonfairy is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
amphetamines seem better suited for you.
Do you mind elaborating?
Would it cure the depression/anxiety as it releases dopamine?
Sorry for my ignorance ><
Thankyou so much!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-08-17, 02:40 PM
Minkyboodle86 Minkyboodle86 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Minkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura aboutMinkyboodle86 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
amphetamines seem better suited for you.
Agreed. Ritalin was horrible for me too. The headaches wouldn’t even go away with pain relieivers...they didn’t feel like dehydration headaches to me- more just a constant all-encompassing ache until the drug left my system. You should def ask for a change in meds if you’re unhappy with the Ritalin. Everyone is different with some meds work better for some and not others. Your doc is there to help you, not judge you for having an unpleasant side effect to this stimulant.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minkyboodle86 For This Useful Post:
stef (10-08-17)
  #12  
Old 10-10-17, 10:50 AM
concentric's Avatar
concentric concentric is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
concentric is on a distinguished road
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfairy View Post
no, ritalin is the first and only stimulant I've tried.. did your headaches go away after the switch? I heard that ritalin is the least potent of all stimulants so if it makes you feel like ****, most likely, other stimulants are gonna make it worse =/
I was able to do math problems because I started being *present* in the moment so I was able to copy the question, write my equations, key it into the calculator and write the answer all...without any careless mistakes.
Honestly, it's a miracle. Over the years I developed OCD tendencies where I'd check the question against what I wrote down, then check the question against what I key into the calculator and against what I have written, for every single equation check and check and check so occasionally, by some miracle, I can have all the numbers written wrong, EVEN the question, yet have the correct answer.
haha

are you able to do math on dexamphetamine?

I used to do the same thing with maths questions too! That was unmedicated but then medicated on ritalin made it so bad that I couldn't even understand the question or think of any of the steps I needed to make. I felt it made my ADD even worse in some aspects. My headaches and all negative side effects went away completely after switching medications! I feel more in control of my mind now; I am able to think logically and keep my train of thought
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-17, 11:52 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,621
Thanks: 5,802
Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfairy View Post
Do you mind elaborating?
Would it cure the depression/anxiety as it releases dopamine?
Sorry for my ignorance ><
Thankyou so much!
I said that because you said this:
Quote:
Rant:
I honestly HATE being on ritalin, I have been avoiding taking it so much this semester I'm predicting a sharp fall in my grades.
Which is ****** up because the previous semester when I was finally diagnosed and put on ritalin halfway through, everything was clear as hell, I finally felt *present*, in the moment and I could follow my lectures and actually remember them afterwards. I had a pure math module in which I scored a distinction for. My very first test score for that very same module was barely a pass as I wasn't put on ritalin yet so the impact of the stimulants on me is very big.
Lectures obviously seemed easy and I was starting to trust myself a little more, in day to day function (remembering things) and in mathematical calculations which is a big thing for me....
But well, this semester... when I take my meds probably twice a week after forcing myself to do so because of everything I feel... my grades are all over the place lol.
said that because you said this:
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-18-17, 03:01 PM
Moonfairy Moonfairy is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moonfairy is on a distinguished road
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I said that because you said this:
yes but what is it about amphetamines that is so different from ritalin and how would that help with either the headaches or the depression?
That is what I was hoping you could elaborate on.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-17, 03:03 PM
Moonfairy Moonfairy is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moonfairy is on a distinguished road
Re: I hate ritalin! Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by concentric View Post
I used to do the same thing with maths questions too! That was unmedicated but then medicated on ritalin made it so bad that I couldn't even understand the question or think of any of the steps I needed to make. I felt it made my ADD even worse in some aspects. My headaches and all negative side effects went away completely after switching medications! I feel more in control of my mind now; I am able to think logically and keep my train of thought
frankly I think my side effects are getting worse >_>
Did your doctor tell you why ritalin gave you headaches but your new meds didn't?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, Husband Addicted To Ritalin batgrl2000 Ritalin 24 07-22-18 05:01 PM
Ritalin stopped working after 5 days? Need Advise. J4mesB4rry Ritalin 1 07-26-13 04:50 AM
My experience with Ritalin and Prozac Christophert Inattentive ADD 2 04-23-13 05:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums