ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 08-31-17, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Diagnosed with predominant inattentive ADHD yesterday....

and subsequently was prescribed 5mg of tranquilyn, a form of ritalin.

Has anyone tried tranquilyn?

If so, how did you find it?

Is it likely my dosage will be increased?

I am supposed to take 5mg twice a day for the first week and then 5mg three times a day afterwards. I will be having it reviewed in three weeks' time.
Old 09-02-17, 06:53 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diagnosed with predominant inattentive ADHD yesterday....

I never took this drug, I have taken ritalin before and it aggravated my bipolar. I have been on amphetamines for over 13 years now.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-09-17, 11:40 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I never took this drug, I have taken ritalin before and it aggravated my bipolar. I have been on amphetamines for over 13 years now.
Based upon a quick look on the Internet, I think that Tranquilyn is just a name used for IR methylphenidate in the UK and is basically the same as IR Ritalin. A flyer for the drug says, "The name of your medicine is Tranquilyn. It contains the active substance ‘methylphenidate hydrochloride’. The name ‘methylphenidate’ will also be used in this leaflet."

But I love how inventive the makers of this version of IR methylphenidate have been. I'm sure that they purposely put the word "tranquil" in there because it hopefully will make the people who take if feel "quiet and peaceful".
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-17, 06:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I was diagnosed with ADHD-PI. I was prescribed extended release methylphenidate and then Concerta...topping out at 108mg.

Worked a treat, but it also caused an unbearable degree of anxiety. It had other side-effects too, but they were tolerable.

I eventually switched to Dexedrine, and it has been a revelation. My ADHD med of choice to be sure.

Along the way I have also tried dexmethylphenidate (Focalin) and it did not cause anxiety, but at 40mg it made me unnaturally focused, short-tempered, and horny in a detached way. Not good, but for me, still better than straight-up Ritalin.

Cheers,
Ian