ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-14, 06:29 PM
Jr Member

Terowyn is on a distinguished road
I can't follow conversations

I'm currently in a depressive episode of Bipolar Disorder (I'm diagnosed bipolar and ADD). I have a very hard time following simple conversations, whether it be in real-life, or a sitcom on TV. For example, my parents were telling me about how a car accident they got into occurred, and I got lost after one sentence.

I know depression can mess with your concentration, but is this normal for someone with co-morbid ADD? It honestly feels like I'm severely brain-damaged or something.

I'm not being treated for the ADD yet, as my psychiatrist wants to treat the Bipolar first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Terowyn For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-24-14)
Old 12-20-14, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I can't follow conversations

Depression can increase some ADHD symptoms (like lack of concentration or poor working memory). Sadly, this is normal. I think your psychiatrist is doing the right thing by treating the bipolar first, because most ADHD medication can increase the manic symptoms during the manic phase. Hope whatever he's giving you for the bipolar disorder will start helping you soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Terowyn (12-24-14)
Old 12-20-14, 03:20 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Being depressed can be very distracting, and at the same time it dulls your perception.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Terowyn (12-24-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-14, 04:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

For me, bipolar depression can slow down my cognitive functions. I have somewhat of a speech disorder and my god does it ever get worse when I'm depressed. I couldn't even remember the word 'armor.' And I'm not sure if 'amamaments' is how you pronounce armaments.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Terowyn (12-24-14)
Old 12-24-14, 06:41 PM
Jr Member

Thank you guys

I have problems with speech while I'm depressed as well. When I'm not depressed, I speak fluently, but when I'm depressed, I tend to stutter or have problems getting words out without sounding like an idiot.

It's just really scaring me because of a bunch of concussions I've had in the past, and it feels like the description for receptive aphasia (basically brain damage that makes it hard for you to understand speech and writing).
Old 12-24-14, 06:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

The latest research shows that cognitive impairments in bipolar persons persist in euthymic (ie. Non depresed, non manic) phases as well.

As such these symptoms can be wholly attributed to bipolar and do not necessitate an additional adhd diagnosis.

Some research has shown that memantine (namenda) can help with cognitive deficits in bipolar.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-24-14), InvitroCanibal (12-26-14), Terowyn (12-24-14)
Old 12-24-14, 07:38 PM
Jr Member

I did read about cognitive impairment in euthymic patients, which is kind of depressing in itself.

As for the ADHD diagnosis, my psychiatrist seemed pretty confident about it. I also have all the ADHD symptoms, but I'm still a little bit confused as to whether or not I have co-morbid disorders. I was also on Vyvanse for a bit, which honestly helped a lot with socializing.

Last edited by Terowyn; 12-24-14 at 07:56 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Terowyn For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-24-14)