ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 08-20-14, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 30% of adults with ADHD were abused as a child???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
I had ADHD and was abused BUT I was the quiet, withdrawn kid, which is still typical within the range of ADHD. Both my parents have ADHD (I think - they've never been diagnosed) but there was no link between that and my abuse - for instance my brother wasn't abused in any way, but I copped all types of abuse. So I'm reluctant to make this particular link.
Also, a lot of child abuse is methodical, planned out and long-term, rather than impulsive acting out.

I've recently come to the conclusion that I have PTSD because of what happened to me after facing up to a few things. I have to wonder how many of my ADHD symptoms my be due to that, and if so how many previously abused ADDERS are out there because of the abuse, rather than being born with it as I previously thought. But its all heresay, I suppose. I feel like I'm left sitting in a corner somewhere and waiting for someone to actually come up with some decent answers, once and for all.

(This comment isn't directly made at you Lunacie, I'm just using your quote.)
I'd be interested in seeing more information (links) to the idea that a lot of child abuse is methodical and planned.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
apoeticdevice (08-23-14), Greyhound1 (08-20-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 03:21 PM

Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,802 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as whether spanking is abuse, if science is our guide, as I would expect in a scientific study, spanking is abuse.

Studies have found health risks associated with even light corporal punishment and no study has ever found long term benefits. The only study that actually found a benefit, short term compliance, also reported that corporal punishment was no better in this regard than alternatives such as time-outs which didn't have the long term negative effects.

In many places (like the US) there is a disconnect between public and scientific consensus on this issue. It's such a common practise and yet abuse is so stigmatized, how can someone admit that either they or their parents have abused their children. But I don't think a scientific study has this dilemma.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-20-14), Greyhound1 (08-21-14), namazu (08-21-14)
Old 08-20-14, 03:29 PM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
ok, i guess

i just feel like adhd kids wouldn't drive someone with good emotional regulation skills to abuse

so it wouldn't be so much the kid , but the kid only with that adult

babies can't change their behavior, so if their behavior is driving you to abuse one, you need to help yourself immediately
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I think you're right - but isn't there a pretty high likelihood that at least one parent of an ADHDer won't have good emotional regulation skills?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say neither of you have raised any kids.

Even if spanking IS abuse (which is my opinion), restraining from spanking ANY kid, ADHD or not, requires incredible resolve. I was shocked that for NT's it was only 7%. My wife has assured me, and I share her sentiment, that it is only a matter of time before one of us finds the other curled up in a ball at the bottom of our linen closet rocking back and forth repeating: I will not hit my child,.. I will not hit my child, .. I will not hit my child..

I wonder if the definition of abuse was simply the subject's answer when asked: were you abused.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-20-14), Lunacie (08-20-14), namazu (08-21-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-14, 07:44 PM

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

steve and lunacie

I'm sorry if I've offended you, by stating I'm completely against abuse and adhd should not be a valid excuse to do what you please

would a court find you competent in a case when you have adhd?

i also understand the uncontrollable frustration that can occur with adhd
Greyhound1 (08-20-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 07:59 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
steve and lunacie

I'm sorry if I've offended you, by stating I'm completely against abuse and adhd should not be a valid excuse to do what you please

I am not offended by your viewpoint. I am also very much against child abuse.

I did not offer ADHD as an excuse for losing control, but as a reasonable explanation.

There are many people in prison right now who have ADHD and made bad choices or lost control.

I'd rather see better information and diversion programs to help people manage their ADHD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-20-14), Greyhound1 (08-20-14), namazu (08-21-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 08:01 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I am not offended by your viewpoint. I am also very much against child abuse.

I did not offer ADHD as an excuse for losing control, but as a reasonable explanation.

There are many people in prison right now who have ADHD and made bad choices or lost control.

I'd rather see better information and diversion programs to help people manage their ADHD.
i agree, although when it involves someone else , you need to do something

i have been in prison for impulsive related behavior
Greyhound1 (08-20-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 08:15 PM

Quote:
steve and lunacie

Oh no, not at all. You didn't offend me.

I think your statement to the effect that "anyone with sufficient emotional regulation should be able to refrain from spanking" was a reasonable statement and a likely point of view. I think all parents but only parents might agree that's not the case and understand that any child could make even a well regulated individual consider horrible punitive measures (most of is have )- I was sharing this view in a sort of felicitous way.

You were fine and I appreciated your posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 08:18 PM

ok, i just mentioned i can see a spanking, maybe an over the edge once

but if you went over the edge, its on you now

if this becomes a pattern, you no longer are a victim of impulsiveness , you now own it
Greyhound1 (08-21-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 08:23 PM

Let me be clear on my position:

1. Not spanking your child require the highest levels of resolve
2. If your resolve falls short*, you belong in a cage.

*(more than once a year or 2 years. For the record, my resolve has held so far.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-20-14), Greyhound1 (08-21-14)
Old 08-20-14, 09:10 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,018 Times in 583 Posts
Asylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing more information (links) to the idea that a lot of child abuse is methodical and planned.
Links?? No, you just have to listen to the stories of people who were abused. Have you heard of pedophilia? Grooming doesn't happen spontaneously. Mental abuse is methodical. I can't even finish writing what I was going to because I'm too upset. Are you serious???
daveddd (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
Links?? No, you just have to listen to the stories of people who were abused. Have you heard of pedophilia? Grooming doesn't happen spontaneously. Mental abuse is methodical. I can't even finish writing what I was going to because I'm too upset. Are you serious???
I see. I hadn't followed that you were talking about pedophilia.

Old 08-20-14, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I see. I hadn't followed that you were talking about pedophilia.
the study did mention sexual abuse as a form of abuse

from an adult to child , that is pedophilia
Old 08-20-14, 09:41 PM

Quote:
the study did mention sexual abuse as a form of abuse

from an adult to child , that is pedophilia
Not all child molesters are pedophiles.

Not all pedophiles are child molesters.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Not all child molesters are pedophiles.

Not all pedophiles are child molesters.

i understand that a lot of people who technically are pedophiles problem can restrain themselves from acting on it

i don't buy that sexual abuse of a child can be explained by anything other than sadistic and pedophilia
Greyhound1 (08-21-14)
Old 08-20-14, 10:01 PM

Quote:
i understand that a lot of people who technically are pedophiles problem can restrain themselves from acting on it

i don't buy that sexual abuse of a child can be explained by anything other than sadistic and pedophilia
And you are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't seem to be supported by the statistics/research.

From: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/c...at-drives-them

Quote:
"True pedophiles are responsible for only a small percentage of child sexual molestations. Half of child sexual abusers are the parents of the victims; other relatives commit an additional 18%of the offenses. And while active pedophiles are generally single men between the ages of 16 and 35, child molesters are generally married men, of any age, who are primarily drawn to their own children and/or step children."