ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 03-30-05, 07:45 PM

Kentm0300 is on a distinguished road
Looking for cylert replacement

I just saw where cylert is being taken off the market.
I've been on it for about 15 years and it has made a tremendous difference in my life.
I'm a writer who couldn't focus before. Because of cylert, I have about 4-7 hours a day where I'm able to concentrate and do my job.
There's also the gentling of my personality.
I need to know where to start as far as replacement goes. I know ritalin doesn't work. Too much ups and downs.
Cylert is fine because I hardly know I've taken anything. No highs, no depression. Just focus.
Anyone out there know of something similar?
Old 03-30-05, 08:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Prairiewind is on a distinguished road
Oh no! Really?! Cylert is the only thing I've ever taken, and while I worry about the liver thing, I told my doctor I didn't want to have to take repeated doses of anything during the day; just one pill that would last all day. I agree  I don't 'notice' I've taken anything unless I've had a really mentally stressful day, in which case I 'shut down'. I definitely don't want to take Ritalin. There is a section on this web-site that talks about the different medications, but it looks like we'll need to do some research.
Old 03-31-05, 04:49 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Adderall XR would be the first thing I would try if Ritalin didn't work in the past. Concerta if Ritalin worked but the ups and downs were problematic. Wellbutrin might be a good drug to try as well. It's worrisome that ADHD drugs seem to be coming under fire lately, with no alternatives or replacements to take up the slack.
I hope you find something that works for you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-05, 11:44 PM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
I think they're only under fire in Canada, thankfully. None of that pressure here in the U.S., at least from the government.