ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 03-26-05, 08:51 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
If you like Cylert, you'd better stock up fast!

Cylert is done too - combination of calls for it's ban along with declining sales, kill premoline - Abbott discontinues it!

http://www.saukvalley.com/news/291513096153499.bsp

Declining sales; ADHD drug to be discontinued

Published: Saturday, March 26, 2005

WASHINGTON (AP) A drug that has been used for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder for 30 years is being discontinued.

The consumer group Public Citizen petitioned the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday, asking the agency to ban pemoline, also sold under the trade name Cylert, because of reported cases of liver damage in users.

Abbott Laboratories, the manufacturer of Cylert, said it is already planning to discontinue the drug because of declining sales.

Pemoline was approved in 1975. Since then other drugs, including generics, have become available to treat ADHD. Cylert sales were less than $1 million last year.

The company said letters advising physicians that the drug is being discontinued will go out within two months, and they will be given time to change patients to other drugs.

In its petition, Public Citizen said the drug has been withdrawn in the United Kingdom and Canada and carries two separate label warnings in this country.

Between the 1975 approval and 1996, there were 193 adverse drug reactions involving the liver ascribed to pemoline, including 13 cases of acute liver failure, Public Citizen said.

Last edited by Gregster; 03-26-05 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake, what else!
Old 03-27-05, 12:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Gregster, from research I have done, I don't see this as a bad thing. Cylert was proving risky, to say the least.

Thank you for the article
Old 03-27-05, 01:36 AM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
For whom this was the only effective medicine this is a tragedy though. Oh well. Life goes on. It's very easy to say that though -- if you're not the affected party.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-05, 01:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick
For whom this was the only effective medicine this is a tragedy though. Oh well. Life goes on. It's very easy to say that though -- if you're not the affected party.
I agree Chad. If it was an effective treatment, you are correct, and I stand corrected.

My apologies to anyone who did find this drug helped them.

But for those who had never taken the drug, I feel it was not a bad move.
Old 03-27-05, 01:48 AM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
Newer drugs like modafinil (Provigil) and atomoxetine (Straterra) are recent inventions. If perhaps they were on pemoline because of reactions against methylphenidate or amphetamine, at least there are alternatives nowadays. And an intrepid psychiatrist might even use other medicines, off-label, such as selegiline a.k.a. l-deprenyl, etc.

All hope is not lost.
Old 03-27-05, 03:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Thirteen cases of acute liver failure in 20 years sure sounds like a lot, especially given that pemoline is probably a drug of last resort after methylphenidate and amphetamine. Does anyone have any data about how many prescriptions were written for pemoline over the 1975-1996 period? What is the nature of the 193 adverse reactions? Of those 193 patients, how many had previous hepatic issues? I can't say that I know enough to say whether I think this is a good or bad move, unlike, say, the Adderall XR scenario.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 03-28-05, 10:44 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
It is a mixed blessing - while I would never take pemoline myself, due to the liver risk, I say this knowing that other medications work for me. I might have a very different view if this were not the case! And what would you do in that case - do you put yourself at risk for a non life-threatening condition like ADHD by taking pemoline? For some the answer is a quick "NO!" but since there are definate "quality of life" considerations, others may just as quickly say "Yes!".
It would have been interesting to see what the FDA would have done in response to the consumer groups calling for it's ban - especially in the light of the Adderall fiasco - but Abbott made the decision for them, and I'm not that surprised - especially in light of the Adderall fiasco!! - Did anyone notice how much Shire's share price dropped after the Canadian announcement? Abbots' decision had as much to do with "shareholder value" - in light of the way pharma stocks have been in the toilet recently - as it did with hepatoxicity, sad to say (of course, all public companies put shareholder value above almost all else, it's the "capitalist system" we live under - pity no-one has come up with a better system that actually works in the real world).