ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-13, 04:03 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,907 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute
Rage episodes

Curious to know how long you all rage at a time, on average.

I was reading a website, where it said that rage episodes lasting over 15 minutes in children at a time tend to point towards bipolar rather than ADHD or something.

I thought, 15 minutes? That's nothing!

I have gone on unstoppable rages for hours and hours on end as a child

(They tried me on Seroquel and such because of this - didn't work turned me into a zombie)

Honestly they aren't *as* common for me now, now though I think they *do* last a bit longer, but not constantly severe.

How are you all affected?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (12-29-13), someothertime (12-29-13), Spacemaster (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 04:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,154 Times in 15,378 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rage episodes

My rage episodes are few and far between and are usually triggered by something in combo with the BP but when they happen watch out.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13), Daydreamin22 (12-31-13), Raven Poe (12-30-13)
Old 12-29-13, 04:55 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,762 Times in 8,904 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

My rage episodes only began in my early twenties.

They last at minimum 5 or so days. They can last upto 6 months.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13), someothertime (12-29-13), Spacemaster (12-29-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-13, 04:58 AM
Registered

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Since around late 2012, by which time I had stabilised my dosage of Depakote to 300mg tid and Wellbutrin to 150mg SR bid, the rage episodes are less in frequency, length and intensity.

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 05:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Bella, it could be that there was another aggrivating factor in your life, and now that it’s gone you don’t have a reason to be that angry anymore. IDK, I might be projecting, because I taught with a lady who was a narcissist and I couldn’t take it. I blew up at my fam instead of her. And actually this forum.

Hate bringing that up, really feel soo bad anyone who reads this. Love it here. Astonished about how people welcomed me back after bpii diagnosis. So anyway, because of this Narcissist that I couldn’t get away from, after getting mad ab adderall on here, I ran away to Kentucky to get away from everything and turned my cell off.

It was a Bipolar comedown apparently, but I think it was 20x worse because I was the center of attention in this narcissists life and… I can write a book about it. I was beyond hopeless. I’ll stop there. But, anyway, yes I have wrath, no one deserves the wrath, I can’t stand it.

It is never as bad as the time I just described. That was so bad bc of trauma from this narcissist.

My anger is mostly 15 mins I’d say (although I lose all sense of time). It comes ab ones every two weeks. I am not proud that I reamed out my ex. (don’t judge me) I can see how I could have gotten the same message across in a nice classy paragraph looking back.

So anyway, do you think that could be what the childhood rages were about?

Once I through the books in my bookshelf on the floor. Then my mom made me put them back in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 07:09 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,974 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's not a legitimate "super-long rage episode" when what's actually happening is that you are getting triggered 745 times per day. Your rage episodes are not long at all. That's my point of view. If you don't escape from your trigger then don't be surprised when it keeps triggering you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 07:13 AM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a sprinter, as opposed to an endurance runner. It has to do with energy levels, focus and emotions. I'm a rapid cycler of my moods. When I rage it's so intense I'm left shaking and usually crying. I would do damage to myself and others if it lasted more than a few minutes. I have had on/off rages throughout a day.

I think if I rage for 6 months or more I would either be arrested or put in hospital. The type of thoughts this mind thinks up. Very anti-social stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13), Spacemaster (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 08:54 AM
Registered

Fractured, have you considered the possibility of borderline personality disorder as opposed to bipolar?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13), Spacemaster (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 05:52 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamin22 View Post
Bella, it could be that there was another aggrivating factor in your life, and now that itís gone you donít have a reason to be that angry anymore. IDK, I might be projecting, because I taught with a lady who was a narcissist and I couldnít take it. I blew up at my fam instead of her. And actually this forum.

Hate bringing that up, really feel soo bad anyone who reads this. Love it here. Astonished about how people welcomed me back after bpii diagnosis. So anyway, because of this Narcissist that I couldnít get away from, after getting mad ab adderall on here, I ran away to Kentucky to get away from everything and turned my cell off.

It was a Bipolar comedown apparently, but I think it was 20x worse because I was the center of attention in this narcissists life andÖ I can write a book about it. I was beyond hopeless. Iíll stop there. But, anyway, yes I have wrath, no one deserves the wrath, I canít stand it.

It is never as bad as the time I just described. That was so bad bc of trauma from this narcissist.

My anger is mostly 15 mins Iíd say (although I lose all sense of time). It comes ab ones every two weeks. I am not proud that I reamed out my ex. (donít judge me) I can see how I could have gotten the same message across in a nice classy paragraph looking back.

So anyway, do you think that could be what the childhood rages were about?

Once I through the books in my bookshelf on the floor. Then my mom made me put them back in.
If I remember correctly, they weren't about anything in particular.

I just got heavily upset at everything.

And would scream and cry and throw things and break things for hours on end

I would end up in my room. And punished severely.
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (12-31-13)
Old 12-29-13, 05:54 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I think it's not a legitimate "super-long rage episode" when what's actually happening is that you are getting triggered 745 times per day. Your rage episodes are not long at all. That's my point of view. If you don't escape from your trigger then don't be surprised when it keeps triggering you.
For these particular episodes though, I don't recall ever being triggered...I really think I was upset with no cause.

Although I'm guessing I had to be triggered by something?
Old 12-29-13, 07:48 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
For these particular episodes though, I don't recall ever being triggered...I really think I was upset with no cause.

Although I'm guessing I had to be triggered by something?
Was there an adult figure in your life who responded to problems with tantrums or rages?

If life was like the Walking Dead then stupid people are like the zombies. They eat your face and slowly walk all over the place and get in your way.

--sarahsweets

I'm oblivious.
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleToes For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 07:50 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleToes View Post
Was there an adult figure in your life who responded to problems with tantrums or rages?
Yes....
Old 12-29-13, 07:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

If people keep on bothering me, an hour. However, I have more stress than anger. When I am angry, I tend to lash out a people physically. I fought a lot in grade school. I get tired after being mad, and I tend to sleep.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following User Says Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13)
Old 12-29-13, 08:25 PM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I usually have ragey days, where I'll have outbursts all day. The outbursts usually last at least 15 minutes, maybe longer. I have a feeling that PMDD may play a part in mine.

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do -Space Oddity
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-29-13)
Old 12-30-13, 01:38 AM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Fractured, have you considered the possibility of borderline personality disorder as opposed to bipolar?
Yes I have and it doesn't seem to fit. My moods cycle one into the other and are not randomly triggered. I assume a personality disorder is something that is always with you, an overall personality. However, I could have both.

Rapid cycling does exist though and just because I don't fit all snuggly into the criteria doesn't mean I don't have bipolar. If anything it's a drug triggered bipolar that's closely connected with PMDD so it's probably different than what most people go through.

Anyway, I'm not going to say I have borderline until I am diagnosed with it. Otherwise it messes with my head.

Like I said I'm a sprinter in everything I do, from attention to energy levels to emotions.

Now please no one mention I could have borderline again because you may trigger me. I know you mean well but it doesn't help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-30-13), Spacemaster (01-02-14)