ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-12, 09:59 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute
Question Bipolar and ADHD--any personal experiences? Would LOVE to hear!

Hey everyone...not sure how to word this, but it's been on my mind for quite some time...

I hope these questions aren't offensive in any way, but I am truly interested in this and any info I can get in regards to this topic.

What's it like to live with Bipolar disorder and ADHD? I'd love to hear any personal experiences/stories/whatever you feel comfortable sharing.

I really look up to all of you, I myself have ADHD-C and I can not imagine what it must be like to have both. To live with both on a day-to-day basis...baffles my mind! You all are amazing!! Like I'm for real!!

Thank you sooo much in advance for anything you have to share.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
LizaBeth (01-03-13), MellyFishButt (03-21-13), unstableAngel (03-07-17)
Old 12-23-12, 10:29 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,308 Times in 582 Posts
crystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud of
Re: Bipolar and ADHD--any personal experiences? Would LOVE to hear!

I consider myself a student. Even though I have had both these conditions for a long time I was completely oblivious to it. Even though my life has been a string of failures, somehow I thought it all was due to my environment, situational factors. It could not be me.

I learn more from every episode. For me, its really hard to figure out if my problems are due to BD or ADHD day to day. I'm still working out a good drug cocktail and it seemed I achieved stability- then Fall came and the weather changed. Then I was good on the addition of Zoloft, but the last week I have gone back up again. Today was especially hard. I am impulsive enough as it is, but when I am manic it is even harder to contain my impulses. All I can do is try to avoid certain situations.

Memory and concentration is variable. Sometimes I'm on, I am productive, or at least I *think* I am. I'm clever. Insightful. Able to complete things at a rapid pace. But mania also makes me unable to think at all. So can depression. Its a real crapshoot.

Its my reactivity and emotional regulation that is touched by ADHD. I can have a neutral mood and be bombarded by these automatic symptoms. I cannot hide my feelings. I have these facial expressions I can't control. I do share so many symptoms with others here with ADHD but my BP is always centre stage it seems.

Does that answer your question?

Down a hole, up a rope
Down some pills, up some hope
This karma machine only takes quarters
New age soldier, new age soldier - Matthew Good -Canadian Musician With Bipolar Disorder

Cyclothymia & ADHD
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to crystal8080 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (12-24-12), BellaVita (12-23-12), Daydreamin22 (09-07-13), dogluver358 (01-04-13), LizaBeth (01-03-13), Unmanagable (12-24-12), Zaashy (01-07-13)
Old 12-24-12, 07:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I had to manage my bipolar first before getting to the adhd. I was diagnosed with BPII when I was in my 20's and following that then adhd. Its tough. The rapid cycling for me causes rage, apathy depression mania etc. Couple that with the impulsiveness of adhd the intense frustration of adhd and the grief I experience because of both disorders and its like being on the scariest roller coasted of your life.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (12-24-12), BellaVita (12-24-12), crystal8080 (12-24-12), Daydreamin22 (09-07-13), dogluver358 (01-04-13), LizaBeth (01-03-13), phantasm (08-24-13), Unmanagable (12-25-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-13, 06:36 PM

LizaBeth is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new here. I have told my long, rambling story somewhere here last night. You know how we do. Anyway, I'm 42. Just diagnosed with BP II while in my 2nd year of graduate school I think. At this point I feel like my years are running together. I went from being super "in-control" and organized to falling apart. When I no longer kept control over everything in my environment (especially my household organization), I fell apart. Spent a long time trying to figure out why I suddenly fell apart and what I needed to do to get back on track. Was hypomanic for a while, very depressed for a while.. my PCP thought I just needed a different SSRI, so we went through 3 or 4 horrible trials of those. Needless to say, each time I felt much more out of it and like I had less control over my life. Almost a year and a half ago I saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with BP II. My PCP had put me on Xanax & Ambien to chill out and sleep some 1.5 years before I saw the psych doc. Otherwise, I'd be awake a week at a time. Never even get sleepy. I wouldn't be functioning very well, but to me.. I had too much to do to sleep, even though i wasn't successfully doing any of it (mostly college work).

I took a year off of grad school, tried to get my life and thoughts back in order, (gave up on my environment because I can't control everything-- had to let something go--my housekeeping and organization). I started back to grad school after being stable on Wellbutrin XL, Depakote ER, Xanax as needed, and Ambien as needed. All of a sudden I struggled to get a B and a C, where I excelled with easy As before. I hated the lack of hypomania, but I remained compliant. I finished that semester, took a short break, and then started back into my fall semester, and fell apart the last 4 weeks. I don't want to even talk about it really, but it is bad. My entire life relies on this, I have as much debt as my mortgage in school loans. I couldn't begin to repay my school loan without finishing my degrees. Without repayment, I lose my nursing license. When I think about the outcomes, it's very hopeless, even though I know as long as I can type and get my thoughts in order, there might still be hope to turn in things that were due a month ago. I don't even have what it takes to go look at my grades. I have ADHD-combined type, which all evals pointed to, but was diagnosed a month ago, on top of my BP II. It's hard. I'm not quite sure how I've made it through so many years of college successfully, and appeared to have it all together so well until the past 2 years.

I have tried Focalin IR, Concerta, and now today got a new Rx for Adderall. My doc is giving me very small doses, I'm sure because of the BP II and frequent insomnia. I feel like I am immune to the stimulants I've taken so far, and I've never been one to take any stimulants until the last month.

Please share your stories if you have both BP and ADHD. I really a interested in learning how to manage this constant worry I have that just incapacitates me.

Thanks Nice to meet y'all.

Beth
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizaBeth For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-02-13), Daydreamin22 (09-07-13), SweetPotato (07-18-18)
Old 02-02-13, 08:01 PM

PQLICE is on a distinguished road

Bipolar I & ADHD

Was always self medicating to help with symptoms of Bipolar I and ADHD. Used ephedrine, caffeine, and nicotine for ADHD. Alcohol and marijuana for Bipolar I.

Was undiagnosed until went into psychosis NOS triggered by sleep deprivation, stress of final exams, cipralex, wellbutrin and lack of eating in my opinion. Was taken to the hospital on my 21st birthday, after thinking 2012 was the year the anti-christ figured out who he was, felt like I had ultimate powers. Doctors opinion was caffeine, alcohol, cipralex, wellbutrin and marijuana caused psychosis NOS. Was put on seroquel, which caused acathisia. Then switched to risperidone, didn't really help with the psychosis NOS. After 1 month and two weeks of being in the hospital was finally put on 1000mg epival (valporic acid). That helped almost instantly. Was released two days before two months in the hospital.

Psychosis NOS was really scary/funny off a mood stabilizer from anxiety and mood swings. Constantly following signs I thought were for me personally, ran away from the hospital two times. Lost touch with reality. Other patients and security staff would mess with me. (mailing a package for me to pick up once out of hospital, telling me I could have any house in a real estate magazine, telling me there was money for me to collect in a different province). Was constantly PRN myself with ativan and cogentin because of the acathisia from seroquel.

Since out of the hospital was over medicated on risperidone. My psychiatrist lowered my dosage of resperidone to 3mg and upped the epival to maximum 1750mg therapeutic dose for my body (valporic acid). Still was having problems with sustained attention/impulses/distractions. Tried strattera titrated up to 18mg , which made me depressed and suicidal. The drug was working though for ADHD symptoms. After begging for 3 months was put on adderall XR, after researching ADHD drugs. Titrated from 5mg Adderall XR to 20mg. It's helping me a lot, feeling more motivated in life because I can sustain attention and limit impulses. I use 0.5mg resperidone as PRN for sleeping entire nights if I am constantly getting up or if anxiety arises.

Last edited by PQLICE; 02-02-13 at 08:24 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to PQLICE For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-02-13)
Old 02-02-13, 08:41 PM

PQLICE is on a distinguished road

Life lessons learned:
Do not follow signs. (EX: Advertising on a van isn't meant personally for you only.)
Do not listen to people in a psychiatric ward (Take what people say as a granule of salt)
Do not give out contact information. (Do not nickname yourself either, they'll think you have another mental illness...)
Sleep more than 7 hours a night.
Eat 3 times a day, even if not hungry.
Constantly watch spending habits and only have 1 visa card that you use. (Use pre-authorized payments for bills on the one visa)
Minimize caffeine.
Stay away from illegal drugs and non-illegal drugs.
Do not judge others.
Stay positive attitude.
Be in control of emotions at all times, learn coping mechanisms through therapy.

Last edited by PQLICE; 02-02-13 at 09:00 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PQLICE For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-02-13), Daydreamin22 (09-07-13), IloveBillHicks (07-19-14), SweetPotato (07-18-18)
Old 02-20-13, 10:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Idiota is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQLICE View Post
Bipolar I & ADHD

Was always self medicating to help with symptoms of Bipolar I and ADHD. Used ephedrine, caffeine, and nicotine for ADHD. Alcohol and marijuana for Bipolar I.

Was undiagnosed until went into psychosis NOS triggered by sleep deprivation, stress of final exams, cipralex, wellbutrin and lack of eating in my opinion. Was taken to the hospital on my 21st birthday, after thinking 2012 was the year the anti-christ figured out who he was, felt like I had ultimate powers. Doctors opinion was caffeine, alcohol, cipralex, wellbutrin and marijuana caused psychosis NOS. Was put on seroquel, which caused acathisia. Then switched to risperidone, didn't really help with the psychosis NOS. After 1 month and two weeks of being in the hospital was finally put on 1000mg epival (valporic acid). That helped almost instantly. Was released two days before two months in the hospital.

Psychosis NOS was really scary/funny off a mood stabilizer from anxiety and mood swings. Constantly following signs I thought were for me personally, ran away from the hospital two times. Lost touch with reality. Other patients and security staff would mess with me. (mailing a package for me to pick up once out of hospital, telling me I could have any house in a real estate magazine, telling me there was money for me to collect in a different province). Was constantly PRN myself with ativan and cogentin because of the acathisia from seroquel.

Since out of the hospital was over medicated on risperidone. My psychiatrist lowered my dosage of resperidone to 3mg and upped the epival to maximum 1750mg therapeutic dose for my body (valporic acid). Still was having problems with sustained attention/impulses/distractions. Tried strattera titrated up to 18mg , which made me depressed and suicidal. The drug was working though for ADHD symptoms. After begging for 3 months was put on adderall XR, after researching ADHD drugs. Titrated from 5mg Adderall XR to 20mg. It's helping me a lot, feeling more motivated in life because I can sustain attention and limit impulses. I use 0.5mg resperidone as PRN for sleeping entire nights if I am constantly getting up or if anxiety arises.
Okay, I guess i should ask for straterra since I'm going to be depressed because my lack of concentration and mental energy doesn't allow me to do anything.

I'm getting screwed over since because I had a manic episode and graduated from college, my psychiatrist dismisses any claims of ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiota For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (07-27-13)
Old 02-20-13, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,478 Times in 6,076 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a wild ride thats for sure.When Im manic I could drive 110 mph and not feel like Im going fast enough then theres dys when im so depressed I cant even get out of bed to function,its like being kid rock w out the drugs.Im both adhd and bp2,I never knew there was bp 2 and one before I was dxed a few years back. Years ago Id here about people being sex nuts ,have sex until there legs gave out and I just thought they enjoyed that but seeing what I go thru sometimes I wonder if nymphos are bipolar to be that way. Years ago at my last job I was always up and on,very chatty and hyper and had my boss tell me that isnt good or normal to be that way all the time ,hell it beats being beat the hell down in bed all day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (07-27-13)
Old 03-21-13, 02:25 PM

manmia is on a distinguished road

Bipolar and ADHD kinda really sucks I look at other people and I see normal but I don't feel normal. I am on a lot of meds to make me feel semi normal. I take abilify that does work wonders for bipolar and the doc just switched me from adderall to ritalin because the adderall stopped working for me. I still don't feel 100%
The Following User Says Thank You to manmia For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (07-27-13)
Old 07-27-13, 04:28 PM

Fancygirl is on a distinguished road

Both bipolar and add are difficult. I have impulse issues that cause me deep mortification, regret and sadness. I actually am bright at some things but I've been called dumb and lazy on many occasions. Basically, my brain just gets overwhelmed and shuts off. I start daydreaming or excessively talking, it's hard to sit still. I have zero filter and just say whatever comes into my mind which causes me more embarrassment and shame. If this keeps up, an episode of bp will kick in and I'll go manic/depressed/manic. The psychosis is so scary. I'm terrified of it. I take the medications but I never feel normal or like I fit in. I'm always making these stupid impulsive decisions, like quitting jobs I like or spending money I don't have. Why do we go through this? Why can't there be a medication that actually works? But self pity doesn't help, either, does it? Just keep going and hope for the happier days. When it all works (medication/cognitions) it's good. Until I make another impulisve decision. Hugs to all of you that had the courage to reply and share here!
BellaVita (07-27-13), GigiBlue (11-13-15)
Old 08-24-13, 06:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Bipolar+ADHD= cluster*****.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (08-24-13), Rebelyell (08-24-13), unstableAngel (03-07-17)
Old 08-24-13, 02:26 PM

Thanked 11,478 Times in 6,076 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Oh itz a debacle cluster **** n circle jerk all rolled up into one.Years ago I had a co worker tell me I was spicolli w out the drugs.At the time I didnt know who jeff spicolli was til I watched fast times at ridemont high n thought holleee **** boy is that really really bad to have someone compare me to that! And w out the drugs to boot, wow just wow!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (08-24-13)
Old 09-02-13, 01:03 AM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Even though you know doing (drinking) something will just make your bipolar worse you do it anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-02-13), Daydreamin22 (09-07-13), unstableAngel (03-07-17)
Old 09-02-13, 01:13 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, bipolar + ADHD is utter hell.
Old 09-07-13, 03:10 AM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I had to manage my bipolar first before getting to the adhd. I was diagnosed with BPII when I was in my 20's and following that then adhd. Its tough. The rapid cycling for me causes rage, apathy depression mania etc. Couple that with the impulsiveness of adhd the intense frustration of adhd and the grief I experience because of both disorders and its like being on the scariest roller coasted of your life.
It's so encouraging to me to know that you're still in love with your hubby.
I have had some relationship issues with two boys I loved. One was soo painful. I just kept pulling away from my first love. I didn't know why I loved him so much bynight and by morning I didn't want to think about him. Then comes the adhd-I and I would always be thinking about him and major daydreaming about him in class. Then he asked me if he should get over me and I said yes thinking it was nothing and all of a sudden he was gone and I cried for four years and still am not completely over him. It was an unusually long heart break and I don't know why. I definitely didn't heal right because I didn't learn anything from it and believe tat I'll never love anyone else that much in my life. And i'm completely ok with that now for some reason. I'm bipolar ii rapid cycle every day. I'm hardly hypomanic. I don't know what it looks like. I can't think of anytime i've been hypomanic. I just know that I have depression and instant mood swings every once in a while bc of adhd. That being said Adderall cures my depression for the most part, and with bipolar meds I'm ok on adderall.

Last edited by Daydreamin22; 09-07-13 at 03:35 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-19-13), GigiBlue (11-13-15)