ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

View Poll Results: Preferred CLasses timing in college
8am 4 7.14%
9am 7 12.50%
10am 17 30.36%
11am 10 17.86%
12pm 3 5.36%
Later than 12pm 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-04, 07:02 PM

laraR has disabled reputation
Lightbulb POLL: 8am classes or later?--College and ADHD

When you were in college, did you prefer starting your classes early like 8am or did you prefer 9am and 10am or maybe even 12pm......

I started in fall with 8am classes and they are groggy even fi I have enough sleep, the ritalin didn't help only in the 9am classes was it really goood..

Appreciate your response in the poll!
P.S: Even if you are in college kindly poll your preference
Old 12-19-04, 07:28 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
I wasn't on meds during college, and iI quickly found out that I performed better, if my classes started after 10 or even 11.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 12-19-04, 08:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
When I was in college I had one or two 9 am classes and it was hell! When I was in culinary school my lab classes started at 7:30am 3 or 4 days a week. We did that till 1:30 in the afternoon, it wass such a long day. I would not be awake and alert till close to 11 or so!

I find the same thing is true with work. I currently work at 9 am, and its terrible, when I do start later in the day, I am much more productive and alert.
If your important people will wait for u!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-04, 08:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I very rarely made it to my 8:00 or 8:30 am classes. Making my other morning ones weren't easy either. Of course this was when I hadn't been dx'ed with ADD or anxiety. So needless to say I wasn't on any meds.
Old 12-19-04, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Alex is on a distinguished road
I as well much prefer the later classes. If my class starts earlier than 10:30 or so, I'm next to useless. Thank goodness those early classes, in my program, tend to be the 1st year classes that are a cakewalk (since I'm now in my 4th, wrapping up an Honours).
Old 12-20-04, 02:55 PM
Contributor

janesays is on a distinguished road
It really depends on whether or not you can get yourself into a habit of waking up and going to class early or not. My schedule this semester is very broken up. Three days a week I have class from 8am-10am then 8pm-10pm. This will work okay for me. I know when I get up early and do something I am very productive throughout the entire day. 8am is like sleeping in though because I'm used to working at 6am, then going to class then back to work in the afternoon. My schedule this semester was horrible. Next semester I'm focusing on my art since I'm taking 12 studio credits. I might also add a foriegn language. I didn't know if I'd need one with a BFA degree but I know you need 2 semesters of a language now with a BA or BS degree. I'm pretty sure I don't need one but there's plenty of Spanish classes open. I guess I should figure that out.
Old 12-20-04, 03:36 PM
Contributor

gingagirl will become famous soon enough
I had one 8am class , both semesters freshman year. Never again. It was awful. I don't remember the times of any of my other classes, except that I enjoyed the evening classes. I was awake, plus I enjoyed the older students better than studentts my own age. On the other hand, just like janesays says ...when I get up earlier, my days tend to be more productive (as long as it's not too early --with my 8am class, I'd be so tired that I'd go back to sleep after the class).

"They call me lazy, but it takes all my time..." -- Joe Walsh
"The absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." -- unknown
Old 12-22-04, 02:09 PM
Jr Member

shadowraider is on a distinguished road
I had 8 am classes those were a joke for me, i missed over half the lectures.

I prefer classes that are in the evening, Most of mine start at or after 6 pm, and it works out GREAT for me. I had a few 3 pm classes those were no problem as well.

My 10 and 1130 class i occasionasly sleep through though. Of course i'm also on a crappy sleep schedule, and no matter what i do i always end up staying awake until 3 or 4 am.
Old 12-27-04, 04:28 AM

armyrebel4 is on a distinguished road
I hear you shadow. When I get done with my training I picked third shift and will have my classes at night when I learn better. I am not a day person by any means....
Old 01-02-05, 12:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
I am a long way from my college days now. Left to my own schedule, I prefer like most here to work later in the day.

At college though I had a technical lecture at 7:00am through one semester and it was really good for me. I had no diagnosis then or medication but the structure somehow worked well for me.

It may have been that I was too dopey to wake up much before I found myself sitting in class. I was very motivated to be there and that helped. It was my money and it was what I wanted to be doing. I did very well there and was one of two in an advanced program. School never got that kind of performace out of me before or since! eheh

The lasting impression about that period was that I had so much day left when class was done. It was like getting double time out of the days. I learnt to juggle that semester.. and got good grades. Those were days of big dreams and high expectations.

I still like what happens to me when I'm forced to rise early but it's not my default setting that's for sure.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 01-04-05, 12:41 PM
Jr Member

musicgal831 is on a distinguished road
I love mid morning classes....around 10 am. My mind is so much clearer then. I have a couple of 8:30 classes and I can barely stay awake yet get myself to class that early.
Old 01-04-05, 03:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ms_sunshine has a spectacular aura aboutms_sunshine has a spectacular aura about
I wasn't diagnosed as an undergraduate...however, in retrospect WHEN I took my courses was me attempting to adapt, without even realizing it. I opted for evening classes in my major for two reasons: I found it more rewarding to hyperfocus for 1.5-3 hours (often with more breaks bc of the length of the class) in an area I loved one or two times a week versus one hour classes that met three times a week earlier in the day AND I enjoyed the input offered by "non-traditional" students who worked during the days, and could only take evening classes, bc they seemed to bring more interesting perspectives to the class discussions. I also found that evening classes allowed me more freedom to structure how and when I studied/completed projects throughout the week.
Old 01-05-05, 12:13 AM

hollyanne is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Im actually a morning person, and i find that i can pay attention better in the monrings, but not before 9. And if i have more than two three hour lecturs in a row.. the 2nd class is pure missory for me!
Old 01-13-05, 11:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

vegansoprano is on a distinguished road
If I time my meds right, I'm fine in the early morning (but without meds, forget it - there is no way I'm going to get out of bed in time to make an early class).
Old 01-14-05, 12:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

robmhill is on a distinguished road
morning is good
had calc last semester at 7:45 am
and it was great
i got up early enough to be ready for it meds and all
so i was fine

it helped that it was a fun class
calc is cool.
but 10 or 11 is good as that fits my wifes schedual better
i hate late classes ie after 4 pm but