ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-21-11, 01:09 AM

Cylonised is on a distinguished road
New to Meds - Dex & Zoloft - Strange Feelings?

Hi - I'm a 40 year old female who two weeks ago had the undeniable diagnosis for ADD, and I've had a strange early reaction to the drugs I've been prescribed;

Iíve been on Zoloft for 2 Ĺ weeks for my Anxiety and Depression - 1 x 50mg tablet in the morning. And for 1 week Iíve been on Dexamphetamine (SI) - taking 2 x 5mg tablets in the morning and at noon.

Within 15 minutes of taking Dex, I feel a speedy rush and quick levelling out but I certainly DO NOT feeling Ďstimulatedí, focused, motivated or energised by it. Rather, I feel like a Zombie - comfortably numb and spaced out, feeling like Iím moving in slow motion... Happy to sit for hours and surf the net, or getting lost in crap TV, or just procrastinate on the lounge with not a care in the world. While this is a bit of a euphoric relief from the crippling anxiety and stress I was feeling, I've got so much work to do and need to feel alert and motivated to get on with my life Ö Stress while awful has always otherwise motived to get things done, now Iím not sure I can function without it.

Loss of appetite, jaw clenching and teeth grinding, tingly sensations, and other commonly reported side effects of Dex I am also experiencing, but these aren't concerning me as much as my lack of alertness and motivation.

I'm smoking and drinking lots of tea and coffee, and not eating much Ė these bad habits I was doing before the meds Ė and I wonder how much they may be affecting the meds from working to their fullest? Although I would have thought caffeine, nicotine and not eating in combination with Dex would have a super hyper effect and have me bouncing off the walls - which I frequently did before Dex, but that is not the case now.

I know of course I have to quit my bad habits, eat healthily, exercise and compliment my ADD drugs with natural therapies, which will all make a significant difference to the way I feel, but itís a catch22 when you have no motivation or focus. Just having some confidence that the drugs Iím taking will work would be a great start.

In any case, I think it is weird that a stimulant like Dex could have the opposite effect, which makes me wonder whether Zoloft is counteracting its effect, though it is not suppose to? And Iíve only been taking Zoloft for 2 Ĺ weeks and itís not supposed to reach full effect for 4-6 weeks, by which time I fear Iíll be completely spaced out. And if I stop taking Zoloft, what about the crippling anxiety and depression I was having?

Any feedback as to whether what Iíve described is a common early reaction to Zoloft and Dex, and whether with a bit more time on these drugs Iíll feel more stimulated, focused and motivated? Or whether anyone who has had similar reactions and found other ADD drugs in isolation or in a combo more helpful. Thank you.
Old 12-22-11, 07:41 PM
Jr Member

MismedicatdMess is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Meds - Dex & Zoloft - Strange Feelings?

I Share your experience in a few ways. early in therapy especially but even after that, stimulants will not "light a fire" under you and send you off into a cleaning spree. To compound that, they will not be able to compensate for the unhealthy habit-induced depression and lethargy you and I both suffer. Smoking tobacco, sedentary lifestyle and definitely bad diet really pins us down with or without stimulants and Im only 27 years old. I find these habits even harder to break during the grips of winter. One can only really get away with bad habits and still be vibrant in their late teens or early 20s after that your body loses a tolerance for it, and we end up with poor health induced sedentary living. this leads to depression.

Good news is this modest dose of stimulants may ignite a minor spark that can drive you to want to improve yourself if you have low levels of whatever in your brain that it addresses, but you're going to want to, one step at a time, make these changes with your willpower otherwise not a whole lot will change on its own.

Finally, I think almost any other psychiatric drug is going to interact with amphetamines, even acidic foods is enough to dismantle the effects of amphetamine from kicking in and if you are a fan of juices, sodas, fruit and really anything with citric or ascorbic acid, might want to have some tums in hand to neutralize digestive ph, but not too much as this could overamplify it. many of the meds ive taken like klonopin, lexapro (a zoloft like ssri), risperdal, these all seem to work against the raw action of stimulants IMO. In my case its probably worse than others because I have major issues with low dopamine.

Your stated response of a zonal and calmed effect is to be expected with any amphetamine, even RX methamphetamine. you could maybe half your dose of zoloft, that might interfere less would work without having anxiety come back. Hey at least that works for you, Its better than needing a benzo.