ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-14, 05:24 PM

STADOD_ is on a distinguished road
Bipolar and Adderall

I have ADD and my doctor thinks I might have bipolar and is giving me 100mg of Seroquel to get me to sleep and 10mg of Adderall to focus (not working). I've noticed the Seroquel gets me extremely drowsy but it also is impossible for me to sleep, everytime I would close my eyes to sleep, I get an annoying urge to fidget and thus keeping me up for hours. After telling my doctor this he said just keep taking it and the drowsiness should ware off, and also prescribed me sleeping pills. He told me that he is giving me Seroquel to rule out bipolar, how would taking Seroquel rule out me having bipolar?
Old 03-27-14, 01:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bipolar and Adderall

I'm not really sure but I think maybe he's trying to see if you have a sleep disorder instead of bipolar. Seroqual is a sleeping med? I think it's also anti-convulsive. I have no idea. My friend took it among with other mood stabilisers and anti-depressants. She was diagnosed with bipolar.

I'm thinking it's my bipolar keeping me up at nights.
Old 03-27-14, 04:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I do not agree with any doctor using any medication to rule out a disorder. They dont give people chemo to rule out cancer.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-14, 06:29 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,432 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Seroquil is a heavy duty med to use as a sleep aid. It's an antipsychotic at higher doses.

I know a fair number of people who take both an antipsychotic and a stimulant successfully, but given the way both drugs work, I'm always a bit puzzled as to how the one drug doesn't partially cancel out the effects of the other.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
Old 04-01-14, 10:44 AM
Jr Member

Rjinnx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by STADOD_ View Post
I have ADD and my doctor thinks I might have bipolar and is giving me 100mg of Seroquel to get me to sleep and 10mg of Adderall to focus (not working). I've noticed the Seroquel gets me extremely drowsy but it also is impossible for me to sleep, everytime I would close my eyes to sleep, I get an annoying urge to fidget and thus keeping me up for hours. After telling my doctor this he said just keep taking it and the drowsiness should ware off, and also prescribed me sleeping pills. He told me that he is giving me Seroquel to rule out bipolar, how would taking Seroquel rule out me having bipolar?
It doesn't. Seroquel is often used as medication for bipolar disorder. Medication can't rule out a disorder anyway. Seroquel is used as a stabilizer as well as an anti-psychotic. It works for others and it doesn't for others.

I'm on Seroquel for bipolar disorder, it doesn't help so I've asked to get off it (since I'm getting re-evaluated as well). But Seroquel definitely doesn't rule out bipolar (wtf?).