ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 07-19-08, 12:05 PM

jdreaper has a spectacular aura aboutjdreaper has a spectacular aura about
Concerta - ear problem - odd cold breath vapour?

Facts about myself that might help you to hopefully help me!: male, 29, uk, smoker, non-drinker, needs coffee, 5'9", 100kg, recently diagnosed adhd, impul, inatt, 1 almost blind lazy eye, other 1 wears a lens, no allergies, been taking concerta xl for 7wks - started on 1x18mg a day, have worked up to and over, but back down to 2x36mg mourning & 1x36mg late afternoon:

Ive been taking concerta xl for 7wks now and ive had sooo many diff side-effects over the first 5-6wks, i was surprised as ive never had any allergies or side effects to anything ever before, ok granted that this is the first prescribed stimulant ive been on, but i was not expecting it!
I dont ever read the side effect section even if i bother to read dosage part of the in pack info slips in any medicines ive had, the same applied here, well untill the problems started that was!

list of side-effects i experienced, in random order with lots missing:-

headachs, stomach aches and strange feelings, dizziness, a on the verge of urging feeling that never followed through with its treats, mild dehydration, opposite ends of the scale bowl movements(couldnt spell the words so give up), foggy, muscle tightening wort on chest and abdomen, lumpy or tight feeling in throught or wind pipe, panicky anxious like physical only feeling mind wasnt panicking or worrying just my body, occasional tingle on top off head, sudden dizziness when entering brighter environments, zero drive, unable to get comfortable when sat in car no adjustments helped, same with sofa and my usually perfect recliner, burnt bridges with the instant unexpected anger that took over me! but only ones that had me under pressures ive never needed but put up with for ages, feeling of less circulation in limbs, weak erectile function, no appetite for food even forcing just a few mouthfulls was hard, extreme hyperfocus, skin and flesh(mainly flab) felt like cardboard bending with normal movement of body, very extreme and sudden sweating all over even so bad in places that i thought i may have had unexpected feelingless accident, and a hightend sense of hearing and touch!
Oh and i cant say for sure as i didnt get a chance to check(to many people about) but i would swear that my feet changed into marshmellows, so soft and squashy with every step i took, with a very appropriate unstable wobbliness to accompany it.

all of the above have come and gone, and appear to be gone for good! Touch wood!

i started to take the afternoon dose to see whether it would ease the problems as most of them appeared when the concerta had stopped which was only about 6hrs after it started to work.
It really did make things a lot better with just a 18mg dose with regards to the side effects, but did zilch for my adhd, so a week on i upped it 36mg, since then which was 5 days ago ive felt focused upto about 10:30pm, i love what it is helping me with, i really do!

BUT!

For nearly a week now ive had 2 strange problems which are not painful but are uncomfortable annoyances that are constant . . . . . That really are bugging me non stop!
Ive always hated persistant pains and discomforts.
Its strange, but, i would much rather prefer to have short excruciating pain even if it was very frequent than to have long mild pain like a mild headache .

problem 1:
is a strange blocked or pressure like feeling im my ears. My left ear is worse and im aware of it all the time so much so that its messing up my falling asleep. The feeling in my right ear comes and goes and is not as intense as the other.
my hearing seems ok apart from deep rumble like sounds and higher pitched ones, which hurt slightly. Its making it hard to know where sounds are coming from also.
i have on nasel pressure or blockages! Any ideas?

problem 2:-
is my breath!, it seems to feel chilly in my nose a throught while im breathing, it feels like a kind of chemical vapour or like a gas and not like just oxygen, and it is similar in my mouth at times and it has a strange kind of tast or sensation which seems worse in mouth early im day. And i think its causing a excessive amount of saliva to be produced early in day and im having to keep it spitting out, but i seem to have little saliva later in day and my then my mouth feels to dry!
All Airways are free and clean, when breathing its almost like chewing menthol gum, but with a unfamiliar and unplesent taste, it makes me think of mouldey old caravans - yet i dont know why!

has anyone else had these problems or does anyone know what they are?

please help me!
I feel like ive tripped at the last hurdle!
Old 09-12-08, 12:24 PM
Jr Member

ucpinky is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta - ear problem - odd cold breath vapour?

Hi, I just started my firs week of 36mg concerta and I have the same ear pressure thing today - could it have anything to do with higher blood pressure?
Old 09-12-08, 01:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucpinky View Post
Hi, I just started my firs week of 36mg concerta and I have the same ear pressure thing today - could it have anything to do with higher blood pressure?
It could be, ringing in the ears is a sign of high blood pressure and this sounds like it could be related to that. I would get your BP checked as soon as possible while on your "peak" in the morning when you take the most. It is important to have this checked while on the medication to make sure it isn't going to high while on it.

I've been lucky so far, day 3 on 36 mg in the morning, just need to play with the dosage because it is not enough and it wears off at like 2 pm with 3 hours left at work and no benefit at home. I'm thinking 54 in the morning and maybe 36 in the afternoon, we shall see.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-08, 10:10 AM

jdreaper has a spectacular aura aboutjdreaper has a spectacular aura about

all back to some kind of normality at last!

stopped concerta 15 days ago and started strattera 40mg, i cant say the strattera is helping me at all like the concerta was but at least im side effect free for now, feels like ive traded my side effects for adhd! but at least its familiar territory again. there were times that i thought i was dying on the concerta!

still havent cancelled my referal date to the E.N.T at the hospital yet just to be sure the ear prob doesnt return like it did a few days after i wrote the topic and then it returned even worse than before but right ear was the worst one then.

i feel physically so much better off without the concerta. just miss the focus it gave me!

i hope you guys are better now too!

thanks for replying!

btw the breathe thingy was cuased be me not automatically swalling my saliva so after few days of forcing myself to swallow it that was better, was just the damn ears in the end everyting else settled down eventually.