ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-13, 06:28 AM
Well Modulated Moderator

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,197 Posts
amberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant future
Re: Writing in the active voice using action verbs

I drink in the smell of earth after rain, ravenously.
anonymouslyadd (03-03-13)
Old 03-04-13, 01:54 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Fireflies speckled the sky, warring with the stars.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (03-08-13), BellaVita (03-19-13), crystal8080 (03-04-13), Gilthranon (03-04-13)
Old 03-04-13, 02:37 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

That sentence that you wrote, is beautiful and poetic.

Am I doing it right ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-04-13), Sandy4957 (03-16-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-13, 02:57 AM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Seeking love reflects a break in the parent-child relationship.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-09-13, 12:14 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Depressing thoughts drag my soul to the floor and beckon the question, "Why?".

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-12-13, 12:13 AM
Moderator of all seasons

I cajoled her to give me a massage.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-14-13, 01:41 AM
Moderator of all seasons

My lips glazed the top of the tongue-searing coffee.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-14-13, 03:17 AM

ericmorgan is on a distinguished road

I got valuable information from you. thanks for sharing, yes we need to express our feeling with good English, simple and readable sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericmorgan For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-17-13)
Old 03-16-13, 12:09 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,421 Times in 5,436 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

His head bobbed forward, laden with a lack of sleep.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-13, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Ocyan, I think that the most active sentence would be: "You wrote a sentence that is beautiful and poetic."

And Silvren, what does it for me is asking myself if I can immediately understand from the sentence who acted?

A sentence was written. A crime was committed. A rock was thrown. All passive.

Anonymous wrote a sentence. My client committed a crime. Silvren threw a rock. All active.

Passive voice is handy when you don't know the actor. So "a rock was thrown into the crowd," just tells you that the author either doesn't know who threw it, or wants to hide who threw it.

In my legal writing, I only ever use passive voice when I don't know something, or am trying to conceal something.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-13, 09:58 PM
Moderator of all seasons

My brain hurts. Tears trickle down the side of my head.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-18-13, 01:17 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Burrowing its head through the open hole, the snake slinked through as hungry falcons circled above.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-19-13, 01:10 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Gliding through the water, the red snake looked for food.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-19-13, 10:09 PM
Moderator of all seasons

I watched the Butterfly Effect, tonight.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 03-27-13, 03:38 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Action is empowering.

~Paulo Coelho