ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 08-06-12, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Change in Concerta side effects after a year?!

I began taking Concerta in June of 2011, so I guess it's been around 14 months now. Recently (I'd say the last month or two), about 30mins- 1 hour after taking it, I am insanely tired. As in I can't hardly keep my eyes open. I feel almost narcoleptic. Once that feeling wears off (which takes a good 3-4 hours), I'm ok. I should mention here that the actual effects of the Concerta wear off (and I mean BADLY... I crash horribly) within 7-8 hours of taking it... so I really only get 4-5 hours of non-sleepy time in which to function... hence the IR boost I now take.

Previously, if I run out of Concerta before I get paid and can't afford to get the new script yet, I take my Ritalin IR (10mg) in the morning rather than that afternoon and have noticed I have NO sleepy side effects, and I feel I actually function a bit better. I don't notice a crash when it wears off, but after a while I do notice symptoms creeping back up, but nothing super serious.

I also played around with taking the IR first thing and then the Concerta around noon... I didn't get the weird sleepy feeling, but for an hour or so, I did have a really weird headache that was a single point of pain on my forehead. That was a little weird, but I felt like I functioned better.

I am aware the Concerta dose I am on (36mg) is slightly less than the 10mg of Ritalin IR I take... but I don't think a 2mg dosage right up front would make that much of a difference.

Should I bring this to my doctor's attention, or just switch the dosage times around so I don't have this horrible narcoleptic feeling in the mornings? I know dizziness and tiredness is a side effect of Concerta, but why, after a year, am I just now suffering this??

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 08-06-12, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough
Re: Change in Concerta side effects after a year?!

I would mention it. That happened to me with vyvanse but I had only been taking it a few weeks (in my case I could have also needed to up my dose to counteract topamax).

That is odd I hope you get this sorted out I know how ruff it was when vyvanse was making me feel that. Have you noticed if it has been since you recently got a new prescription filled? Are you taking the generic concerta?

Sending positive vibes your way.