ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-15, 02:17 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,224 Times in 2,588 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread of my retirement home activity ideas!

In the same idea of bingo, you can consider some additional games/championship. A nice laminated certificate for chess champ, dominos champ, gin rummy champ, etc. can go a long way and can really get the residents sparked by a little competition and stir the mental juices.

I think the other thing to consider here is bringing people in...volunteers. Local congregations. Girl scout/boy scout troops, etc. because a lot of people want to share their stories; to have someone to talk to. For the people in the center to perhaps share a skill. Are there still people who knit or crochet. Help the kids earn their badges. Learn knots. I'm sure some people already know their flowers and how to plant and tend to plants, how plants grow. Do arts and crafts together. Oh...make dream catchers (popsicle sticks and yarn).

Also I would consider what they can give to others. Going back to people that quilt or knit. Not everyone has lost their dexterity. Note you can ask the volunteers to help provide fabric, thread, yarn. There's a huge opportunity to ask for donations. Probably can be a part of the effort.

For the literay crowd. Book club. Short story review. Poems. If you can work with the Library to perhaps loan books. Bring in kids for the older folks to read to them. This will depend on where they are mentally and physically.

Movie night!! How much do they want to go back and watch the oldies but goodies. Libraries sometimes carry old movies.

Also may want to note that the Glen Miller crowd may not be as much of the population and your Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis folks are starting to move into the retirement community. Start off by asking what music they like. A little survey. Also the library may have selections for these genres. Would be sweet if you could get the boss to agree to a karoke machine. That would be so awesome. Or just print out the words and have sing alongs. Also, you can play...Name That Tune.

In the spirit of Name That Tune...you can have Name That...history figure, decade, entertainer, tv show, radio show, movie, etc.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-15-15), stef (07-13-15)
Old 07-13-15, 03:02 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,224 Times in 2,588 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

Just hit me. Ask local florists if there are any flowers on the way to the trash or any donations they wish to give for a floral arrangement day. Perhaps they can come in and show some pointers. You can also use them for dried flower arrangements.

Also, around the holidays I would look to any tree farms, etc. that would be willing to provide greenery for arrangments that the group can give to the firehouse, etc.

Decoupage: Dried flowers, newspapers, magazines, construction paper.

Does the center have a monthly budget?

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-15-15)
Old 07-15-15, 02:49 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,068 Times in 7,976 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Omgosh Andi! lol You've got so many great ideas Thanks a lot!
I LOOOOVE the idea of going to some of the flower shops in town to ask if they've got some flowers they'd like to donate!! Or Christmas Trees (omg I'm WAY too excited about decorating the place all up for this year's christmas!!).

And in bringing in different volunteer groups! I would've never even thought to consider asking some scouts to stop by. I very much so plan on thinking about this and doing some research to see if there's something I can come up with! Help the kids earn some badges AND give my grandma and grandpas someone to visit with! Such a neat idea!!

I need to see if there's anyone who can bring in some dogs too once in awhile!

Also really like the book/poetry club! Now that's a great idea and something they don't have set up at the home. Yet!

I don't know if they have a budget set aside for activities yet...I'm sure they do...but I'm kinda nervous about asking lol. I had a freaking dream last night that I was being fired because I was spending all of the home's money on things for activities and was bankrupting them. They were really upset with me because their sole purpose in hiring me was so I could help them spend LESS money on activities haha.
What a dumb dream xP.

(((((((Andi)))))))

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi
Just hit me.
BUT!!
BUT I DON'T WANNA HIT YOU!
/cry

Maybe I just hug you instead!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Andi (07-15-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-15, 04:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

When my husbands grandmother was in assisted living, they used to have trivia night. The workers used the trivial pursuit cards. They went through them ahead of time so the the questions would be relevant to the residents and at one point they bought a special addition set as well. The set it up kind of like jepardy (sp) by using a board with little cardboard slots to reveal the "prize" money. We played with her and it was a blast. I think the actual prizes were stuff like ice cream sundaes and like having your hair done by the traveling hair stylist. Just an idea.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Andi (07-15-15), psychopathetic (07-15-15), stef (07-15-15)