ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-24-08, 01:45 PM

fliesandlice is on a distinguished road
Shire brand vs. Barr brand...

First, I apologize if this has been discussed in detail as this is my first post. I also apologize if this post ends up a little long winded. That said, basically I was recently prescribed Adderall IR 10 mg to take as needed. Apparently, in NY, I'm not allowed to tell the pharmacist what drug I want in my body (brand vs. generic) unlike NJ where I'm originally from.

So I got the generic Barr brand and thought nothing of it because I've never had poor experience with generics in the past and the peak was the greatest feeling of my life; I could focus, I could think, I was awake and happy. Then, 15 minutes later, I got the crash (which I expected, but not in 15 minutes). Agitated nerves, horrid anxiety, all the things that I read about people taking the exact same Barr generic.

As a budding pharmacologist, I've tried doing extensive pharmacological reseach on the subject, but failed to find anything on the generic or the "new" Barr brand.

I'm trying to see if anyone was taking the Shire brand name and then the Barr brand name and noticed similar effects in the Barr brand name to the generic Barr. Did Shire just sell them the exact same formula (fillers included), or is Barr just making a whole new Adderall? I want to know if I should go to my doctor and request name brand (cost isn't an issue), but if it's going to cause the same side effects as the generic that everyone here has been complaining about, is it really worth it?

I want the IR, for various reasons, so in essence, is the Barr brand name identical, or very similar, to the Shire brand name that everyone seems to favor? Any insight would greatly help, and if this has already been discussed in length, I apologize.
Old 08-24-08, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Shire brand vs. Barr brand...

Shire sold the brand rights to Barr. Barr still makes and sells brand as well as generic. I've only used the generic so I can't chime in on the brand name.

J
Old 08-25-08, 09:49 PM

inmostleaf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliesandlice View Post
First, I apologize if this has been discussed in detail as this is my first post. I also apologize if this post ends up a little long winded. That said, basically I was recently prescribed Adderall IR 10 mg to take as needed. Apparently, in NY, I'm not allowed to tell the pharmacist what drug I want in my body (brand vs. generic) unlike NJ where I'm originally from.

So I got the generic Barr brand and thought nothing of it because I've never had poor experience with generics in the past and the peak was the greatest feeling of my life; I could focus, I could think, I was awake and happy. Then, 15 minutes later, I got the crash (which I expected, but not in 15 minutes). Agitated nerves, horrid anxiety, all the things that I read about people taking the exact same Barr generic.

As a budding pharmacologist, I've tried doing extensive pharmacological reseach on the subject, but failed to find anything on the generic or the "new" Barr brand.

I'm trying to see if anyone was taking the Shire brand name and then the Barr brand name and noticed similar effects in the Barr brand name to the generic Barr. Did Shire just sell them the exact same formula (fillers included), or is Barr just making a whole new Adderall? I want to know if I should go to my doctor and request name brand (cost isn't an issue), but if it's going to cause the same side effects as the generic that everyone here has been complaining about, is it really worth it?

I want the IR, for various reasons, so in essence, is the Barr brand name identical, or very similar, to the Shire brand name that everyone seems to favor? Any insight would greatly help, and if this has already been discussed in length, I apologize.
I have never heard of not being able to tell the pharmacist what brand you would like. I am in NY, too, and have on many occasions asked the pharmacists if they carry whatever I would like.

However, on a few occasions I have run into the pharmacist who is miserable and in denial of the possibility that a customer can actually be more knowledgable.

Maybe it's time to stop asking and start demanding. It is your body and your choice. That is it.
Hydrostatic (01-21-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-08, 09:23 PM
Jr Member

shortbus is on a distinguished road

As someone who studies pharmacology you probably already know this but generics can range from 80%-120% similarity in the 'active ingredient' and vary widely based on buffers. Sounds like the buffers they use in the generic don't work for you. Since (apparenty based on a business transaction) Barr makes both, I would go back to the name brand adderall, because even though it's made by the same company who makes the generic (after the company sold the rights) it would follow the exact formulation as the original adderall always had. They probably use cheaper buffers for their generic which if you aren't used to it would cause a drastic change. I know from my observation that the generics seem to hit harder, faster and last less time, as well as have more intense side effects. But I'm a poor college student so I stick to what I can get. :P
Since adderall (at least in my experience) is so particular on dosage (it has to be exact to work right) you may want to find what works for you within the generic formulation, or just go back to what you use within the name brand.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to shortbus For This Useful Post:
FocusPocus10 (03-22-12)
Old 05-19-09, 12:57 AM

SueT is on a distinguished road

My son was switched to the Barr Generic just like you were. We were totally oblivious to the fact that generics would be any different but it was horribly different. He has been on the generic for 9 days and has progressively gotten worse. He had head aches, he was very sad, then moody, then just very angry. He had trouble concentrating in school (and I noticed it at home with homework) and ended up getting into trouble at school. That is when I went straight back to the pharmacy. I don't get it. How can these pharmisutical companies screw with people? Can you imagine how many kids have had the same problem. Everybody is looking for cost relief but not at the expense of my child.
Old 05-19-09, 06:55 PM

lilhotADDmama is on a distinguished road

I started with Shire Brand Adderall- over 7 years ago- It was the best. Then 3 years ago I became pregnant and went off Adderall. I started it back up a year ago and thought I was crazy or that my hormones from having a child changed. I filled my script and had Corepharm, it was so terrible I thought maybe it wasn't even Adderall/Ampt Salts- I then went and filled a script for Barr Generic ( I had no insurance) it was better but still not like Shire. I felt like I was only getting half the results and the crashes/side effects were crazy horrible. Then I tried Barr/Teva Brand and feel like they are exactly the same as brand /generic.

So I recently switched to Shire XR and feel "normal" again. I also heard that Shire is making the Generic for Barr but when I talked to the pharmacist's she said that the Generic XR is from Barr/Teva not Shire. So I don't know what to think on that subject- What I do know is that I am paying 220 a month for Shire's Adderall XR and hate it. If my insurances doesn't eventually cover it- I am thinking I may switch to something else all together.

Why can't the FDA step in and tell Teva they need to make Adderall just like Shire- filler/binders and all?
Old 01-08-10, 05:42 PM

prelude31 is on a distinguished road

I have been on adderall xr 20 for three years now and for the past year I also have been taking adderall ir (10 mg) which I cut in half with a pill cutter in the afternoon so that I won't rebound when I am doing something at work or am driving. I can usually tell when I am starting to get to the point of rebounding so that I can take 5mg ir prior to the time the xr totally wears off.

I have always taken the generic Barr brand of the ir and it's fine (usually a blue oval pill).

As for the adderall xr 20, up until now with the exception of one month over the summer I have taken brand name adderall. My insurance company had no issue with it. However one month over the summer my doctor neglected to write daw and I was given generic adderall xr which wound up costing way more than brand name adderall xr. (I questioned that with the insurance company, and they said that brand was cheaper, I think that new was viewed as a new drug). I didn't really have any issue with it.

I recently lost my insurance (I will probably go on healthy NY soon). I was given generic this time. (I read the boards to see what others were saying about generic since I only had one experience with it). Thanks everyone because people commented that certain companies who are now making the generic made bad product so I asked the pharmacy which brand I was getting.

I was given global since now there are several companies making generic adderall xr besides barr. I definitely notice a difference however I don't necessarily think that it is terrible. One person had commented that the generic takes longer to release and that is something that I did find to be true. I take it first thing when I wake up. I always have. I usually get up and play computer brain games for about 30 minutes or more while listening to classical music through headphones and today it was longer than 30 minutes, I noticed that by the time I had finished my session that my adderall xr (generic) was kicking in. I took it around 7:30 in the morning and it is now 4:30 and I can still feel the effects of it (which is way longer than on the shire brand name). Maybe because of the slow release time. However this is day one and I am not at work now so I don't know how I would do at putting a tax return together right now (when I rebound, I can't put paperwork together easily) - I'll probably take the 5mg now just to make sure that it will still be working. (I will still be able to go to sleep later at a normal hour as long as I stay off the computer.
Old 01-08-10, 05:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

lostsoul has a spectacular aura aboutlostsoul has a spectacular aura about

I get doc to write brand on the prescription with "no substitutes"

Never have issues then.
Old 01-08-10, 07:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Greenjuice is an unknown quantity at this point

My doc said the fda lets generics have a 20-40% difference in medication, so that could be quite a bit of difference in those who have experienced shire and generics.

I take 30mgXR twice daily and its generic, so I have no complaints. It's Barr's formula. If I had 300 extra bucks to experiment with I'd go with Shire, but since I'm taking 30mgXR twice daily, not much concern.

We are all works in progress.
Old 01-08-10, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

MCate will become famous soon enough

I'm on 30mg Shire, and it's only a $10 co-pay as it is considered generic at the Kaiser I go to....

Cate

Dx'd 1999: ADD (Inattentive), Depression
Alternative therapy: 5-HTP (50mg); L-Tyrosine (1000mg)

Old 01-10-10, 03:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

IMO Shire sits back and watches the money come in. They're pushing out the old (Adderall) and bringing in the new (Vyvanse).
Old 01-17-10, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

tomlinson has a spectacular aura abouttomlinson has a spectacular aura about

Shire no longer manufactures immediate release Adderall.

"Brand name" immediate release Adderall today is manufactured by Teva Laboratories.

Teva also manufactures a generic immediate release version under the name Barr Labs.

(Teva bought Barr Labs about a year and a half ago.)
Old 01-20-10, 03:56 PM
Jr Member

sohcahtoa1277 will become famous soon enough
Arrow Re: Shire brand vs. Barr brand...

In order for Barr to even have FDA approval to make an equivalent they need to be given what's called an "AB" rating meaning, in lay terms, that their version is exactly what the brand is. There is no compositional difference between the generic and brand, especially because Adderall IR has been around so long and so many manufacturers make it. It is highly unlikely that you would experience anything different were you to switch to the brand name drug from Shire.
Old 01-20-10, 05:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

the closer to brand that I have tried is the SANDOZ brand of generic IR....its hard to find and pretty expensive...but I find it much smoother than any Barr, and by far less, much less side effects and comedown...so its here to stay....no more Barr for me.....
Old 01-21-10, 01:22 PM
Jr Member

sohcahtoa1277 will become famous soon enough
Arrow Re: Shire brand vs. Barr brand...

Hey Kiosk,

That's interesting that Sandoz tablets work differently for you. When I used to take Adderall IR I preferred the Barr tabs over the Sandoz (Eon Labs) tabs because they were easier to break in half if I only wanted 10mg instead of 20mg.

May I ask what medication regimen works best for you? I'm in the beginning stages of titrating on Daytrana - so far so good except it's not strong enough and takes way too long to kick in. However, it is the smoothest medication I've ever used and the side effects are practically nil.

DJH