ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-19, 11:56 AM

JamesLewis is on a distinguished road
Are anti-depressants addictive?

Hi, everybody. I need some advice about depression treatment. My girlfriend suffers from this kind of disease. I thought that she could go through this without serious treatment, but now she feels worse than a couple of months ago. What do you know about such treatment and drugs? I heard a bunch of strange stories about addiction to such drugs. Recently I read a post about substance abuse of women on Addiction Recourse. So I'm afraid she can become addicted too. Could you help me? Maybe someone faced a similar problem?
Old 03-11-19, 02:50 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are anti-depressants addictive?

I think its important to note the differences between addiction and dependence. IMO Antidepressants are not addictive but you can become dependent on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLewis View Post
Hi, everybody. I need some advice about depression treatment. My girlfriend suffers from this kind of disease. I thought that she could go through this without serious treatment, but now she feels worse than a couple of months ago. What do you know about such treatment and drugs? I heard a bunch of strange stories about addiction to such drugs. Recently I read a post about substance abuse of women on Addiction Recourse. So I'm afraid she can become addicted too. Could you help me? Maybe someone faced a similar problem?
Quote:
Definition of addiction
1 : the quality or state of being addicted
addiction to reading
2 : compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (such as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal
broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful
Quote:
de·pend·ence
[dih- pen-d uhns]

NOUN
the state of relying on or needing someone or something for aid, support, or the like.
reliance; confidence; trust: Her complete reliability earned her our dependence.
an object of reliance or trust.
the state of being conditional or contingent on something, as through a natural or logical sequence: the dependence of an effect upon a cause.
the state of being psychologically or physiologically dependent on a drug after a prolonged period of use.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-11-19, 05:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,760 Times in 8,903 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are anti-depressants addictive?

SSRIs and similar meds (which are almost universally prescribed as first line treatment for depression) are non-addictive.

They do need to be weaned off slowly if discontinued though.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links