ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 05-26-17, 01:11 PM

Celestedu is on a distinguished road
Anybody try neurofeedback?

My son is 10 and has been in a remedial school for 3 years now. He is very inattentive and I've recently come across the Sluggish Cognitive Tempo information. It summarises his battles perfectly.

He was on Ritalin but he started getting eye tics and his appetite decreased significantly. He's severely underweight as it is and doesn't eat much.
We tried Concerta as well and it didn't help much. We took him off of meds completely as we didn't see a huge difference in his scholastic abilities.

He's now started Neurofeedback and has 8 sessions under the belt.
I briefly spoke to his teacher today and she hasn't noticed any difference as yet.

He goes back to mainstream schooling next year and I'm quite concerned.

Has anybody had success with neurofeedback?
Old 06-28-17, 06:08 AM

Re: Anybody try neurofeedback?

A quick update- 17 sessions in and no change as yet ��
The Following User Says Thank You to Celestedu For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-28-17)
Old 06-28-17, 09:33 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

After that many sessions with no visible changes, I'd say it's a safe bet that it clearly isn't the route for him. What kind of neurofeedback is it? There are so many nowadays.

I hesitate to use anything that is trying to use an external program of some sort to try to train my brain the way they feel it should best be working. I've never heard anyone who has tried those kinds saying they experienced any great symptom relief, but I've only spoken to a handful of folks who've actually tried it.

I experienced help several years ago via the neuroptimal neurofeedback method after only 6 sessions, so much so I was gifted the personal machine by the hubby that year for xmas. However, adhd is just a fraction of the things I deal with on a daily basis, so it's hard to gauge the effects on just one specific set of symptoms when they all overlap so much. I felt improvement in many areas in a rather short period of time, and that's all the proof I needed.

It's also in addition to many other therapeutic methods introduced along the way, including acupuncture, massage therapy, iridology, a master herbalist, etc., etc. All the so-called "woo woo" places I was taught to avoid at all costs most of my life, and the places insurance won't touch.

Luckily, I'm surrounded by healing practitioners who like to barter, or I'd likely be up s*** creek. I've already tried the meds route multiple times for my multiple issues and wasn't able to sustain that route thanks to my highly sensitive biology.

I still have many of the same symptoms as before, but seem to be able to at least better recognize the roots and how to better work with and through them, if that makes sense.

The method of neurofeedback I use doesn't have you sit and watch the screen, follow patterns, do tests, do homework, etc., etc. You just sit there with the nodes hooked up, ear buds in, kicked back in a zero-gravity lounge chair, and listen to the 35 minute program that runs, with music, as you relax, read, sleep, or watch the cool graphics on the screen as the music plays.

The professional who introduced me to it had the full set up where you could monitor your brain waves and such, but she often stressed to me that the data being displayed wasn't nearly as important as how I felt and if I experienced any changes in my struggles.

There were no major "A-ha!" moments, but rather slow subtle changes that happened over time in between sessions. Like, I no longer ate tons of food late at night, or I no longer lost my s*** and snapped at the least of things, or I no longer engaged in automatic nasty self talk towards myself, etc., etc.

I still lose stuff, forget my lists that I take great care to make, still run late or arrive way too early, still can't sit still for long or sit through a whole movie, still have to write everything down to remember, still have trouble retaining what I read, still have trouble with emotional regulation, etc., but just not quite as severe as before. I'm a continual work in progress dealing with what was pretty much diagnosed as a severe life, since every diagnosis I've received began with the word "severe".

I've done approximately 20-some sessions on myself in the last couple years, averaging once every couple months or so. I explain to others that it acts like a broom and dustpan as it travels my neural pathways, working to clean up the debris and roadkill left along the way so I have less to weed through when I need it to work the most. I explain it that way because I really suck at science-speak.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-08-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-17, 10:41 AM

Thank you for your reply, what is the program called?

My son watches a movie for 30 minutes and each week they move the patches around to different parts of his brain.
Ritalin had made him develop some tics so that was a priority but they've been working on his theta waves to try and help with motivation and concentration.
Old 06-28-17, 10:55 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

NeurOptimal is the name of the one that I feel I benefited from. I didn't begin using it until my mid to late 40s.

There's some other parents here who can likely provide much more clarity and direct experience than I can in attempting to treat a child.

My experiences are solely that of an older adult trying to find and retroactively gather and nurture all the pieces of me.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Celestedu (06-29-17)
Old 10-08-18, 01:44 AM

Numbawunfela is on a distinguished road

I am doing neuofeedback.and it is working great for me. My treatment is not at all passive though, so the issue may be in the type your sone is getting. Since the sitting and watching movies approach is not how mine has been done in general.

I did a brain map to see what was wonky, then treatments to 'decrease Alpha wave activity at Cz' for example. I did get zapped with electricity at a few spots for 4 or 5 sessions while watching a movie, so a few were passive, most were not so far.
Webt from 30mg AdderallXR to 5 in 17 sessions of 32.
Old 10-08-18, 03:31 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,043 Times in 15,324 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If it works for you, thats wonderful. I havent read enough science about it yet for me to give it more consideration. I am not saying it doesnt work or that its fake, just that I personally have yet to read something unbiased that helps explain the science behind it.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-08-18, 02:07 PM

I downloaded this:
Introduction to Quantitative EEG and Neurofeedback, 2nd edition (2008), edited by Thomas Budzynski Helen Budzynski James R. Evans Andrew Abarbanel, published by Academic Press/Elsevier.

A peer reviewed article on it, there is a good section on why it is not accepted treatment in some circles.

Look for this subheading:
VII . EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE, RESEARCH DESIGN, AND COMBINED TREATMENTS

There are a number of references to neurofeedback and ADHD, but that heading may be what you are looking for. I was able to turn my hyperfocus on that and get about 200 pages of it read. I am concious of the 'no commerce' clause so I am not posting the name of my clinic so it does not seem as though I am advertising for them. I think they are great, but I would rather people get help than just go to my doc.
After horsing around with meds.... this blows meds out of the water.
Old 10-08-18, 02:39 PM

Also here is an article that shows benefits. In a nutshell, people with ADHD got smaller parts of their brains compared to controlls, the study shows Neurofeedback makes those parts bigger.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23536382/

I tried to attach the full article but could not.