ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-30-09, 03:42 PM

dkaiser will become famous soon enough
Kinda confused - Shire, Barr and Teva? Anybody else?

Ok so I'm looking at three Adderall prescriptions I have. Every month I get XR and IR, the IR are always manufactured by Barr (they are the typical orange guys). Now I have last months XR bottle (the last month of name brand Adderall XR) made by Shire US, and this months "ER" bottle (the first month of generic adderall xr) made by Teva USA.

So I think Barr is a subsidiary of Teva, which is based in Israel, so that makes sense. From what I know about the switch, Shire is granting Teva (Barr) rights to make generic Adderall... for 180 days. So what happens after that 180 days? Are more companies going to start manufacturing it?

I don't have anything against generics (though I will never agree that they are identical to name brands), but I'm really concerned about having just a ton of companies making my adderall. It's a drug so I want it to be consistent. I don't wanna go to the pharmacy and every time get some different stuff made by another company. I'm sorry, but whether my adderall is made in the US, Europe, Israel, India or wherever, probably makes a difference in whats actually in there.

I guess I'm just really confused as to why this change happened, the legal reasons or whatever, and what the future of Adderall looks like. So far I have no complaints about the new generic I'm getting from Teva.
Old 05-30-09, 03:59 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to behold
Re: Kinda confused - Shire, Barr and Teva? Anybody else?

I am relieved that I am going to continue to recieve the Shire made Adderall XR. I have had some terrible experiences with TEVA. It is not just the ingredients it is how they produce these drugs. Although it does not seem to phase a lot of people who believe that generics are "just as good." I love it. And then they come on here when they get all these really strange side-effects. They can nt eat. sleep, have sex, concentrate, think, etc. or spell.
I think that it is very simple, when you take second-rate drugs-you get second-rate results. Very simple.
Maybe that will clear a little of it up for you.
Old 05-30-09, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Teva recently bought Barr. Barr makes their medications in the USA.

For the first 6 months, Shire is actually making the generic adderall XR for teva. After that, Teva(Barr) will produce their own (which will look different by law) and other companies will be allowed to get in on the product too.

As my Neurologist explained to me, Generics have to have the same drug in the medications but are not strictly regulated as tightly for delivery. For example, she said that a brand name drug that is supposed to work for 12 hours might only work for 9-10 hours in generic form. She said for patients that take meds for seizures she doesn't allow them to take generics because of that unless they cannot afford them. Then she will prescribe generics but dose them for multiple doses per day to ensure adequate coverage.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-11, 06:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaiser View Post
I don't have anything against generics (though I will never agree that they are identical to name brands)
Logically speaking, they should be; i.e., the medical ingredients should be the same.

With drug effectiveness, one always has to be somewhat concerned about the placebo effect. That's why drug studies are conducted carefully.

Quote:
but I'm really concerned about having just a ton of companies making my adderall. It's a drug so I want it to be consistent. I don't wanna go to the pharmacy and every time get some different stuff made by another company
Regulations state that companies have to disclose dosages of the medical ingredients. Again, while i concede one brand may be better than another, I doubt it is the case.

There is a reason drug companies start firing their salesmen when their patents expire.
Old 11-11-11, 10:33 AM

addG4guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymooston View Post
Logically speaking, they should be; i.e., the medical ingredients should be the same.

With drug effectiveness, one always has to be somewhat concerned about the placebo effect. That's why drug studies are conducted carefully.
While the active ingredient is the same, the inactive ingredients and delivery systems are not. I've noticed this even with basic drugs like Advil/generic Ibuprofen. The generic takes longer to work and does not last as long.