ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-20-11, 05:53 PM

nikman is on a distinguished road
Teva / Barr... Same / Diff? HELP!!!!

I cannot get a clear answer to this question from anyone, so I'll post it here.

I always get a clear bottle (standard looking) of generic IR amphetamine from same pharmacy which states the manufacturer as "BARR." Contrary to popular belief, I actually like these. Due to the adderall shortage, I went to a different pharmacy which stated they had the "BARR" brand. I picked up prescription and it was in a "TEVA" bottle with a sticker over the front with the usual name, dosage, etc., and it stated the manufacturer as "BARR." The pills look identical to the previous ones, however they have a much different effect...shaky, irritable, etc..

I realize that Teva purchased Barr, BUT does BARR and TEVA make a different IR generic or is this the same medication / manufact. I'm used to receiving? Could it be just a bad batch?

If someone could please clarify this for me, I'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks!
Old 10-20-11, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,149 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teva / Barr... Same / Diff? HELP!!!!

They are the same pill. There isn't a different pill made by Teva and another by Barr.
This is from Teva's website. click on brand name and go to Adderall (there isn't a Teva generic, so you won't find it under that tab). It shows Adderall tabs, with the Barr "b" stamped on them.

www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?pageid=76

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 10-20-11, 09:52 PM

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,202 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Same thing. Teva owns Barr. It's one company now.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 10:43 PM

I appricate the info. Could it just be a bad batch?

Thanks again!
Old 10-20-11, 10:49 PM

Thanked 12,149 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

If they are consistently causing these reactions in you, call the pharmacy and ask if anyone else has reported having unusual (for them on this brand) side effects.

Try to remember if you've done or eaten anything different since taking them. It could just be a temporary thing.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 10-20-11, 11:07 PM

I have been under the weather, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks for everyones response...I appreciate it!
Old 10-25-11, 06:32 AM

sleepy is on a distinguished road

op your correct
look up the ndc numbers
there are ones produced by barr and ones produced by teva sold as barr. yeah yeah i get it same company. just like i pay brand price for brand paxilcr which is a ndc produced by a generic company and packaged by barr. or just like when people were getting the corepharms produced by ranbaxy. they are differant. if you keep your scrip printout from your scrips compare the ndc numbers, u may see its differant.

there is only one ndc available for 15mg and its produced by barr and have found it to be the same each time. the good news is you can actually get this at cor pushing walgreens cause is its the only ndc for that dose.
Old 10-25-11, 06:35 AM

sleepy is on a distinguished road

btw the way the differance i see it one is harder and cause extreme dry mouth
Old 10-25-11, 07:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
If they are consistently causing these reactions in you, call the pharmacy and ask if anyone else has reported having unusual (for them on this brand) side effects.

Try to remember if you've done or eaten anything different since taking them. It could just be a temporary thing.
I recently got a bad batch of the XR recently. I noticed the bottle had a strong smell of an acid (I still can't figure out which one but it is one I have worked with a lot in the past so that limits it to sulfulric, acetic, hydrocholoric, nitric and phosphoric). It's effectiveness was quite reduced. I thought I was somehow spontaneously developing a tollerance. New bottle of pills, no acid smell back to normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to PedroDaGr8 For This Useful Post:
BR549 (10-26-11)
Old 10-26-11, 05:21 AM

Galactica75 is on a distinguished road
Re: Teva / Barr... Same / Diff? and GLOBAL HELP!!!!

don't forget about GLOBAL brand, much smoother than Teva/Barr IMO.
Old 10-31-11, 01:34 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Teva / Barr... Same / Diff? and GLOBAL HELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactica75 View Post
don't forget about GLOBAL brand, much smoother than Teva/Barr IMO.
Global/Impax is ER/XR not IR.
Old 08-21-12, 06:44 PM

Zefira2012 is on a distinguished road

I dont kno what is going on with them. Been strugling for 4 mos now--First two batches made my heart race and like I was od-ing--the last two dont do anything. I was dxed w/adult ADD 8 yrs ago--and took mallinckrodt IR tablets until 2 years ago--then Barr came into my life--awful--but better than nothing-The last 4 mos has been absolute hell-Im depressed,cant focus,no energy--Its like I got my life back 8 yrs ago and now it has been taken away from me. My hope is that some previous MFG will come back-Mallinckrodt is Covidien now--they show tablets on site but havent heard anything available but ER--which I cant take.Barr is garbage period and I have let them kno it
Old 08-23-12, 02:55 PM

helrumyc1 is on a distinguished road

Shire (the original owner of Adderall brand) no longer produces instant release tablets, BUT they do still make the XR versoin, probably until 2018 when their patent expires.

To clear something up for everybody before continuing, it is not Teva/Barr anymore and hasn't been for a long time. DuraMed bought Barr, and Teva bought DuraMed, meaning the proper syntax is Teva/DuraMed even though the Barr division still operates under Teva and makes most of the generic IR tablets.

Because shire's patents are due to expire, Teva attempted to jump on this and as a result Shire made an agreement with them in 2008 to give them exclusive rights to make the generic XR formula and allow them to start producing generics in April 2009. However, Shire still holds the original formula and still produces the XR version. There is no telling if Teva's generic is "exactly" the same. A great number of people including myself have been having very bad experiences with this formulation (specifically 20mg ER and 30mg ER) imprinted with the M.AMPHET on the pill rather than "ADDERALL XR".

To make matters worse, there have been several reports over the last several years (since the acquisition of BARR/DuraMed) of recalls and poor manufacturing practices by Teva. One instance specifically was that 3-5x the correct formula was being dispensed in the generic Adderall tabs. Not to mention they have repeatedly been accused of poor manufacturing of most of their generic drugs (especially the psychotropic ones).

So to say the least it could have been a bad batch. Hell you could end up with 5 more bad batches, who knows with Teva. My suggestion is to get a different generic or use Shire's true Adderall XR which is what I'm going to try myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to helrumyc1 For This Useful Post:
rlb2011 (01-07-13)