ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-16-14, 05:38 AM

dprice218 is on a distinguished road
Adderall partial fill question

So, here's my situation: from Dec 1 or so I've been in the process of moving my life from northeast PA to Rochester, NY, as my wife & I have been separated , etc. Now, I've been able to set myself up with NYS Medicaid/Blue Choice Option etc, as well as get new doctors here in Rochester, with the exception of a psychiatrist willing to evaluate and treat my ADHD (which I've had since I was 14, I'm now 28). My new primary care doctor is completely uncomfortable with prescribing any ADHD medication, despite my documentation medicated history (again, been diagnosed & medicated basically since age 14). The social worker/therapist I've been seeing to help coordinate mental health services here in Rochester is in the process of referring me to a pdoc but indicated it would be "weeks" until I'd be able to actually be seen. Thus since Dec. my wife (we're on very good terms, etc) has been basically filling my Adderall prescription monthly down in PA because my primary care doctor down there has been such a great sport & has continued to write my prescriptions while I wait to be seen by a prescriber here.

Now, this last time, on Jan 31, the local pharmacies in Wilkes-Barre were completely out of Adderall IR tabs (20mg, 3x daily) and I had to settle for a partial fill of 50x out of the 90x tabs. This gave me a 17 day supply. Now I'm running low and will need the rest of the month's supply ASAP this week. I've messaged my primary care doctor in Wilkes-Barre and I shouldn't have a problem with her writing another prescription. Here's the complicating factor: my wife was able to previously fill the ADHD medication because up until 1/31 I was still on her employer's health plan. Now, I'm no longer on her health plan, since I have obtained NYS Medicare or whatever. There's also the issue that apparently the pharmacies down in PA don't appear to be well-stocked with that dosage & formulation. Last time I had to wait several days just to have one pharmacy (Wegmans) be able to partially fill it.

First question: does anyone know whether it'd be possible for me to have my current NYS medicare coverage pay for the Adderall IR prescription in PA, where my wife would fill it for me? I seem to recall that NYS medicare only provides pharmacy coverage for NYS pharmacies. My second question: assuming the answer is "no" to the above question, should I attempt to have the doctor mail me the prescription here in Rochester, NY and fill it locally here? I honestly have no idea how NYS and PA get along in terms of filling a Schedule II medication written in PA but filled in PA. I know policies vary by state. The only thing I DO know, is that a doctor can call in an emergency 5 day supply of schedule II drugs - I was told this by a family friend who's a psychiatrist here. She thought it'd be possible for this to occur even on an inter-state basis.

The alternative is I have my wife fill it in PA like usual, except this time I'd have to pay out of pocket, assuming my new and only NYS medicare doesn't cover pharmacy expenses in PA.

Any suggestions or relevant experiences you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-16-14, 06:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,922 Times in 13,087 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall partial fill question

I dont have the proper answer but here is how it works for me and how I think it could work for you....For me, my doctor is 45 min away so she mails me a new script every month because I provide her with stamped addressed envelopes. Once, when I was going to be out of state, I had her write a generic letter stating that she was aware I was out of state and that she authorized me to fill it in PA where i was staying and included her business card contact info etc. Now, really you dont need her to authorize sh*t, its a legal prescription but pharmacists need to be handled with kid gloves and this seemed to make the pharmacist feel better. I have no idea if he had to contact her or not and I made sure to tell him that I was coming in 5 days before it was due to give him time to verify/order the meds so I wouldnt run out. Maybe this would work for you.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 02-16-14, 12:55 PM

dprice218 is on a distinguished road

Hmm - that's certainly helpful - it'd be much easier for me to see if I could fill the prescription here in Rochester, NY because a) northeast PA seems to have a serious shortage of my prescribed formulation and b) because I'm certain my medicare prescription coverage applies in NYS, whereas I seem to recall that pharmacy coverage does not apply for NYS medicare in other states - and obviously I don't want to pay out of pocket.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-14, 12:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

agirlandherdogs will become famous soon enough

can you go online and find participating pharmacies? I'm going to say NO, it's a state program, you'll likely have to fill it in state. It may not matter where the prescription is written but the insurance likely will not cover anything visits etc to your old doctor.