ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 10-13-10, 07:09 PM

Amuggsy78 is on a distinguished road
Can we all post one thing that has been helpful?

I've looked around and unfortunately am not yet finding what I want but my attention span may be causing me problems. I would like everyone to include one item that has been helpful in combating some of our issues.

I don't mean medication, I mean organizational tools or tips on how to deal with the day to day. I figure that way it will all be in one place and we can all help each other and we can try implementing those things that seem helpful.

For Example I just stumbled across one that I liked. The ten minute tidy. At the end of everyday take ten minutes to run around picking up everything you've placed somewhere random, gather it all in a basket, and then go around putting everything in it's place. That way when you pick up one thing you won't immidiately see another thing and lose your thought or get involved in something else.

Does anyone else have anything you've found useful?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Amuggsy78 For This Useful Post:
Bikie (03-20-11), lingslp (03-13-11), LostInTheStars (01-05-11), Michiko74 (12-27-10), notsoplainJane (12-27-10), pandora_delilah (04-04-11), TobiMum (09-30-11), zannie (12-11-10)
Old 10-13-10, 07:17 PM

jhank26 has a spectacular aura aboutjhank26 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can we all post one thing that has been helpful?

Changing the places where I study. Library, coffee shops, hallways, etc. Never the same place more than 3 days in a row and never the same spot.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jhank26 For This Useful Post:
Artist000 (03-13-11), ashisbaby17 (10-29-10), crackerbelly (12-10-10), Michiko74 (12-27-10), moni123 (07-25-11), tinywiney (11-01-10), Tommy Wilhelm (12-10-10), Tyboulder (03-15-11), zebrachick83 (03-18-13)
Old 10-13-10, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

Get a smart-phone that way you can always be informed, entertained and organized at the same time

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EshkaronsEngine For This Useful Post:
Broken1 (02-07-13), LostInTheStars (01-05-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-10, 07:22 PM
Contributor

Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice

Guilt. Straight up. I perform best if failure is tied to deep shame.

But that probably doesn't help everybody.

So um...I try to surround myself with motivated people. My closest school friends have schedules heavy with study time and it's a group activity. We all meet after class to study, and while I goof off a lot, this is the environment I have the most success in. Working comes more naturally.
CK302 (12-10-10), creeper540 (01-01-11), Jericho (08-13-11), salleh (11-01-10)
Old 10-13-10, 07:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Issy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really nice

I took a time management class/course a few years back (for a job) and it taught me so much! It was great, it changed the way I worked and really helped me succeed at my job.
Unfortunately it didn't help at my home life... but I am very consistent in my work :-)
It was by Fred Pryor Seminars
Jericho (08-13-11)
Old 10-13-10, 08:07 PM

Amuggsy78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issy12385 View Post
I took a time management class/course a few years back (for a job) and it taught me so much! It was great, it changed the way I worked and really helped me succeed at my job.
Unfortunately it didn't help at my home life... but I am very consistent in my work :-)
It was by Fred Pryor Seminars

Why do you think it didn't help at home? Wasn't there any way to relate what you learned to home life?
Old 10-13-10, 08:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

Making realistic to-do lists, keeping my life structured daily, exercise, using voice recorder on phone to not forget stuff, being watchful about nutrition (not eatting only junk!), rewarding self with things when goals are met (anything from buying a movie, to allowing myself an hour or two of TV, internet time)
When studying; taking a break every 45 minutes, reading out loud into a recorder and then later playing it back (while driving to school) helped me to retain the info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDisme2010 For This Useful Post:
C8H10N4O2 (03-13-11), nomannomad (12-10-10)
Old 10-13-10, 08:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Issy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really niceIssy12385 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuggsy78 View Post
Why do you think it didn't help at home? Wasn't there any way to relate what you learned to home life?
I have two kids (a two year old and a 4 month old)... time management is impossible for me to apply at home, I am too overwhelmed... at work I can apply it without the additional distraction from the kids, etc.

Plus I am more driven at work, I need my job and I can't afford to lose it, my husband has been laid off for a year and I am bringing in the dough...
Old 10-13-10, 10:38 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Going to bed early. It eliminates 90% of my ADD problems. If I go to bed early like 3 days in a row, I feel just about as normal as you can get as a human. The problem is doing that consistantly...like now, it's already 10:30pm lol. Nothing I have ever tried has had as much as an effect on me as going to bed early, consistently.

If I had money to burn, I'd hire a personal trainer to come over every night and make sure I went to bed at like 8pm and stayed in bed all night
Jericho (08-13-11), mchuntley (01-18-11), Mignon (12-10-10), nomannomad (12-10-10), randomthts (03-22-11), zannie (12-11-10)
Old 10-28-10, 11:06 PM

Victoria11 is on a distinguished road

I actually use my Outlook Calendar at work now. I have come (not full circle) but maybe a 3/4 circle. It has really helped at work though. However, it would help even more if it didn't have a snooze button. Just sayin'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Victoria11 For This Useful Post:
nomannomad (12-10-10)
Old 10-28-10, 11:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Angry angry punk rock for those bad days.

Or really just setting myself up some goals keep me going.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Jericho (08-13-11)
Old 11-01-10, 01:51 AM
Jr Member

I_lose_stuff is on a distinguished road

Making to-do lists of all the tasks I need to accomplish the following day. I include pretty much everything, right down to almost insignificant things, or quite common tasks that don't always seem noteworthy. I prioritise most things so the important stuff goes at the top.

I hardly ever get a full list finished, but so long as I get over half of it done I still feel like I have achieved something.

Also, having a list of things to do is great for procrastination. Now when I'm studying and I get that feeling of wanting to do anything else I have a list of things to do, so I go get on with some of those for a short while until I'm ready to get back to the books. I get something done, and I don't feel too bad about breaking away from my studies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_lose_stuff For This Useful Post:
LostInTheStars (01-05-11), zannie (12-11-10)
Old 11-01-10, 04:03 AM
Jr Member

Sphere will become famous soon enough

flylady.net has helped me a lot over the years. Not everything has worked, but I'm better at a whole bunch of things.

For instance, I no longer need post-it notes on my mirrors to remind me to brush my teeth and comb my hair - it's routine.

I use my calendar a lot, and try to schedule studying into specific time frames. I procrastinate less that way. For instance, while I would love to just hang around online, my calendar tells me that I have to start reading an article in 15 minutes, and since it seems like a harder task to rewrite my plan for today, I will almost certainly get started when my 15 minutes are up.

Also, launch pad. Collect stuff you need to bring with you next day in the evening, put it in the same place (also helpful for next day's clothes) and no more running late to find keys, wallet, library returns etc. This is a really effective flylady suggestion along with setting an egg timer for a two minute hot spot clearing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sphere For This Useful Post:
Michiko74 (12-27-10), nomannomad (12-10-10), Tommy Wilhelm (12-10-10), zannie (12-11-10)
Old 11-01-10, 09:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

pookandpeb will become famous soon enough

Crockpots. There's nothing better than coming home to a already made dinner after a long day at work.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pookandpeb For This Useful Post:
Eklecktika (01-06-11), LostInTheStars (01-05-11), Michiko74 (12-27-10), Mignon (12-10-10)
Old 11-01-10, 12:47 PM
Jr Member

Marr25 is on a distinguished road

I hope I'm doing this post right. I have trouble forgetting if I've put an ingredient into a receipe. So now I get all of my ingredients out on the counter before I start the receipe. Every time I use an ingredient I put it back where I got it from. It is a lot of "running around" in the kitchen, but if I get interrupted don't have a problem finding what next. Someone modified my idea by lining the items up on the counter, but some people don't have the space.

Another thing I want to try. Some used clear plastic sleeves over recipes and when following the directions uses a dry erase marker and crosses out what she has already done, so that she can keep her place. The dry erase marker makes the plastic sleeve reuseable. Now if I can figure what to do with cookbooks. Maybe cut the sleeve in half.