ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 08-18-14, 07:27 AM
Contributor

MADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant futureMADD As A Hatte has a brilliant future
Cool What's the BEST thing you've done so far?

This thread is not a p i s s i n g contest. It's about affirming the deepest, best, most positive things we've each done.

So ... 18 August 2014 ... Tonight, on Australian ABC tv's "Australian Story", there was a programme about a young Australian woman. It moved me to tears.

It motivates me to ask: What's the BEST THING you have done in your life, so far?

The Australian Story programme was about an IVF-donor-created child, who as a young adult, sought out her biological father. In the programme it was happy endings all round. Mostly.

The BEST THING I have done in my life so far is to donate IVF eggs to a woman-friend and her husband, who, due to the woman's extremely early menopause, were unable to naturally conceive a baby.

That was 15 years ago. I now have two (IVF) biological children (now aged 14 and 12); and my own two natural-born really-truly children (now aged 18 and 16). I also have two step daughters. I love them all, deeply, in very different ways.

I've done some **** stuff in my life, but without a doubt, giving the gift of motherhood to a woman who, through no fault of her own, went into menopause in her 30's, ... that's the best thing I've done so far in my life.

What's your best thing so far?

Mx

ADHD explained. UNC Burnett Lectures
Dr Russell Barkley - 2012
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...ssell-barkley/

Dr Patricia Quinn - 2011 - ADD in girls and women.
http://learningcenter.unc.edu/ldadhd...atricia-quinn/

MADD as a Hatter. Bull in a china shop. The angel who rushed in where fools feared to tread. That just about says it all.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MADD As A Hatte For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-06-14), Greyhound1 (08-18-14), Snapdragon (08-18-14), someothertime (08-18-14), stef (08-18-14), Tmoney (08-18-14), Unmanagable (08-18-14), Wrenchman (09-06-14)
Old 08-18-14, 09:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,493 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's the BEST thing you've done so far?

Had a baby, my now grown son; and graduated from college.
In that order, in the same year
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-18-14), MADD As A Hatte (08-18-14), Snapdragon (08-18-14), someothertime (08-18-14), Unmanagable (08-18-14)
Old 08-18-14, 10:07 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,450 Times in 2,993 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

really tough...

i would have to say the teency selfless connections... it seems so simple... but those occasional moments when you pick up an old ladys walking stick... or whatever...

there are some moments that are just pure...

and for me these are it.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (08-19-14), Greyhound1 (08-18-14), MADD As A Hatte (08-18-14), Maurice (11-01-14), stef (08-18-14), Unmanagable (08-18-14), Wrenchman (09-06-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-14, 11:55 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I fully agree with someothertime. Making time to respond to others in my daily interactions, be it a smile, a kind word, or lending a hand. The feeling of connecting in that moment, especially with a stranger who I may not have otherwise crossed paths with, is a powerfully moving thing for me. I've met some of the most amazing peeps that way. <3

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-18-14), MADD As A Hatte (08-18-14), Maurice (11-01-14), someothertime (08-18-14)
Old 08-18-14, 01:29 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,344 Times in 7,818 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Marrying my wife and helping to raise her 2 kids.

Also, rescuing many Greyhounds, cats and stray animals.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
It'sPeter (08-21-14), MADD As A Hatte (08-18-14), Maurice (11-01-14), someothertime (08-18-14)
Old 08-19-14, 02:01 AM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Had a baby, my now grown son; and graduated from college.
In that order, in the same year
I had no clue you had a grown son. Thought you were in your early 30's!
Old 08-19-14, 03:21 AM

Thanked 27,493 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamin22 View Post
I had no clue you had a grown son. Thought you were in your early 30's!
No, 40+ but thank you
I don't write much about my family , they are very rational and don't like to discuss their feelings (which I understand, ) ; it would be "disrespectful" somehow. My hugest fear is that my son thinks I'm completely flaky...but he is very kind and sensitive otherwise and he "gets" me. I remain a mystery to DH and vice versa, we are very different but this works.

Sometimes I wish we would have also had a little ADD girl, just to even the score around here!
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-06-14)
Old 08-19-14, 01:04 PM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold

I got help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mad83 For This Useful Post:
It'sPeter (08-21-14), someothertime (08-19-14), Thales (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 12:36 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

Married my sweetheart and had three sons.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler5 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (08-21-14)
Old 08-20-14, 05:41 PM

Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to scholarship my way through a private college and become an Honors student and graduated with highest honors. Amazing considering I barely graduated high school. I give the greatest thanks to my GP who put me on the right ADD meds and watched me soar!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Dysexlia (09-23-14), Maurice (11-01-14), someothertime (08-21-14), Wrenchman (09-06-14)
Old 08-20-14, 11:59 PM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing I've done is stay by my mother's side while the rest of her children won't...not exactly speak to her, but aren't very nice to her or have a low opinion of her.

It's hard for me because she's been very judgmental and has said some nasty things about my half-sister and step mother. But she's got no one but me. She trusts me with a lot of information she will never tell my other siblings.

She had a skin cancer scare not long ago and I thought I was going to lose her. I was a little selfish brat when my dad had a brain tumor so I don't won't to lose my mother the same way.

Also, according to my half-sister I have helped a seriously anxious cat overcome many of her fears. Basically, she's not as much of a scaredy cat now. She's cleaning herself on my bed now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Maurice (11-01-14), someothertime (08-21-14)
Old 08-21-14, 09:30 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Working on self realization and transformation. That is pretty much the only purpose of life.
someothertime (08-21-14)
Old 08-21-14, 09:48 AM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

I have been able to connect with people others could not. Really it's a matter of hearing people and seeing them as they are and not as I want or project or expect. The "best" wouldn't be one person or time, because I'm not one for ranking persons, though certainly there's a time and a person in mind.

I've listened when others couldn't or wouldn't and stood facing when others turned away. It made the difference at least once when it mattered to that person a great deal and the difference was in someone leaving this world not being unheard and unknown.

To me there is no other reason (than knowing and hearing and trying to understand others) to participate in life lived socially (and I'm way better at isolation frankly) than to have been seen and heard and I'm grateful to be able to give it to others. It's my only true social gift.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Maurice (11-01-14), someothertime (08-21-14), stef (08-21-14), Wrenchman (09-06-14)
Old 08-21-14, 01:01 PM

Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I forgor the the big one. I laid my life down for 15 years and took care of both of my parents until they died. I'll never regeret it. It truly was the most fulfilling time I ever had with them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Maurice (11-01-14), Pentax (09-06-14), Wrenchman (09-06-14)
Old 09-06-14, 05:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Raised some kick a*s kids.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Wrenchman (09-06-14)