ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-18, 12:35 PM

Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,013 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Organizational Thing to Try? Bullet Journals

Something I learned about this spring are bullet journals. I use planners chronically haha ever since I was taught to in middle school. I get ones that have pages for the weeks, and the month, and Are small enough to fit in my purse so I can bring them everywhere, and then I have a tiny little one that just has months for the next 2 years because my gigs get booked so far in advance sometimes.

I don’t do to-do lists in planners though, just appointments, traveling, bdays, gigs, gatherings.

I haven’t really gotten into more tech ways to organize things (except I use my kanbanflow board still - hey you guys remember that thing?? I use it all the time actually because I like the timer and that I can make different columns and different tasks with different to-do lists in side them) I really like physically writing things down, I want to be able to put it in my own format.

But - kanbanflow.com for those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about.

Anywho, the bullet journal. So, the one that I saw (I was at a women’s retreat and there was a workshop on organizational tools that i went to) was very colorful and crafty. And they have become this super duper crafty artsy fartsy thing that does look fun but I honestly don’t have time for all that. It was originally invented to just be very functional and flexible.

So, all the pages have little dots on them kind of like graph paper so you can make boxes around things to highlight them or make categories or whatever, neatly. Some people use the boxes for like monthly mood tracking, so each day you can make boxes and color them in different colors or patterns to help see how you’ve been doing overall.

For myself, I could make columns for each day of the month say, for practicing clarinet. I could color in a box for each time I’ve done a half hour of practicing, kind of a motivator.

Anyways, that’s something kinda cool about the bullet part of it.

BUT the best thing is that you can make a table of contents at the beginning of the book. Some of the bullet journals come with this kind of built in at the beginning, and each page is numbered. So you can put in - September to-do list page 15. Or, October appointment calendar page 16. ... Interview question ideas page 20

When I’vE tried having general notebooks as catch alls in the past for things, because it’s nice to have everything just be in one thing I can stuff in my purse and go, the problem is that I can never find what’s in there, I forget, it just gets buried. Table of contents brilliantly simple solution, DERRR.

Anyways. I’ve been wanting to come back and post that up here.

bullet journal . com (without the spaces)

I haven’t investigated a lot yet but there’s other suggestions at that site...

Last edited by namazu; 07-02-18 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: removed link to commercial website -- replaced with non-hyperlinked version
Old 07-02-18, 01:02 PM

willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Organizational Thing to Try? Bullet Journals

Pic!

A pic of a bullet journal page. So, I have my to-do list thing going on kanban, which I think I could progressively move to bullet journal, maybe....so that I don’t have multiple organizational things going on which is confusing.

and I have my planners with my dates for things, but I didn’t have anything for something like this. I wanted to make a visual for myself of time commitments, and how many free days I actually have, so that I don’t set goals for myself that are too lofty and end up disappointed with myself, OR take on way too many commitments. This is last summer and fall. Purple is traveling, diagonal lines are days that are partially booked up, like I have a local gig, or it’s the day after a long period of traveling. Days that I have even local gigs, the organization required to be ready and on time for that usually saps me for much of anything else. And the day after lots of travel, I never get anything done, mostly just sit in a stupor a lot. Diagonal blue are school days, filled in blue are school days with extra commitments. Green dots are appointments like med stuff.

So, I made these charts for myself in the past just on random sheets of paper, and it took forever to make all the little squares and stuff lol. But I didn’t have anywhere to put them to actually refer back to them, so...anyways, it’s good for me to see that I actually am busy and not that lazy. And also visually see when I should not book more gigs.

Last edited by willow129; 07-02-18 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Trying to fix link
Old 07-02-18, 04:29 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a youtube on the bullet journal and I dont understand it but would like to.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-18, 08:21 AM

It’s funny, I was actually thinking about you Sarah, cuz I remember you a looong time ago posted about to-do lists being overwhelming, and something like that, but you seemed to want something to try. So that’s why I thought maybe I should post about bullet journals.

Maybe you’re more of a tech person though, but, I find some of that stuff overwhelming ccuz i have to conform to whatever system the tech app uses, which could be missing some crucial element that i need for my ADHD brain. Also I find it very easy to get distracted on phone or computer, instead of get started on work, I’m checking Facebook again....
Maybe I’m also a little OCD too cuz [it runs in my family and]
I can spend hours looking for just the right planner and still not really find exactly what i want. So I think having something that I can organize exactly the way I need to organize, may take longer, but it is kinda cool.

(Sorry ‘bout the link nams. I had a feeling that one wasn’t ok but couldn’t remember :-/)

I think it can kind of be whatever you want it to be, it’s a journal. To me, its just that it’s nice to be able to have things all in one place, that will fit in my purse. For some people that’s their phone, but as I said, tech doesn’t always work for me. So it’s not like, to-do list on scrap of paper over there, important thought to remember for work over here, notes on meds in there....it’s like, can have place to write all that in journal, and then also not lose those things cuz of a table of contents! Page 1 - to-do list, page 2 - impertant work thought, page 3 - med tracking...

and the pages aren’t completely blank, they have little bullets all in rows and lines, like an unintrusive graph paper, but it makes it easy to make each page into what you need it to look like, but neatly.

If you have a to- do list going that’s overwhelming, flip to a new page and reorganize! Lol Or like make different pages different categories, like one page is home to-do, another page is shopping to-do...or a page for long term to-do, another page for this week to-do - it all gets recorded in table of contents.

And you can make it colorful and put designs around it if you want cuz all the dots are fun to play with that way...

Anyways I think the guy who invented bullet journals did have his own specific organizational system, I haven’t looked at that, I just saw the one this lady had at the little organization tools sharing session, and like, I work 2 very busy part-time jobs and there’s a lot To keep track of across different settings so I thought ooo that looks like it could be useful

I got a moleskine one that doesn’t have the pages at the beginning for a table of contents, but since there are little dots kind of like a funky graph paper, I can easily make a pretty neat one myself. So I saved the first couple of pages for that.

Anywho, maybe is a silly thing, but thought I’d share in case it’s actually not :P
Old 07-03-18, 11:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know of a few youtube links that would help me see how its set up and done? I think I watched the "offical" ones or at least the ones where people are using the journals that the bullet people sell.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
willow129 (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 01:34 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,418 Times in 10,804 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

My psychologist is a big fan of bullet journaling.

She showed me her bullet journal, and also recommended a couple of YouTube videos (I forget which ones, now).

I don't quite "get" it. It seems to me that if I keep re-doing to-do lists, and making new lists/pages for different topics / months / etc., then the table of contents will get so long I won't be able to find anything, anyway.

But it probably beats the random scraps of paper, colorful cardstock, etc., that I've been using and losing on my coffee table and only excavate once in a blue moon.

I haven't tried it yet, because it felt overwhelming and I couldn't see the clear advantages, and I'm allergic to systems.

But anyway, at least one mental health professional (who may or may not have ADHD) thinks it's a great idea and uses it herself!
Old 07-03-18, 02:10 PM
Mod-A-holic

If you think of or remember the youtube links please share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
My psychologist is a big fan of bullet journaling.

She showed me her bullet journal, and also recommended a couple of YouTube videos (I forget which ones, now).

I don't quite "get" it. It seems to me that if I keep re-doing to-do lists, and making new lists/pages for different topics / months / etc., then the table of contents will get so long I won't be able to find anything, anyway.

But it probably beats the random scraps of paper, colorful cardstock, etc., that I've been using and losing on my coffee table and only excavate once in a blue moon.

I haven't tried it yet, because it felt overwhelming and I couldn't see the clear advantages, and I'm allergic to systems.

But anyway, at least one mental health professional (who may or may not have ADHD) thinks it's a great idea and uses it herself!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-03-18)