ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-10, 03:18 PM
Jr Member

aaron_c is on a distinguished road
Senior Accounting Student Introduction

Hey guys, a quick introduction from me. I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with ADD at around the age of 16 or 17. My parents, the good old "rub some dirt in it" types, told the doctor that I didn't need medication for it and that it was an excuse for me not wanting to study so it's gone untreated ever since. I'm probably one of the smarter people in almost all my classes, with my GPA putting me in academic probation once every couple of years.

I've tried all kinds of 'tips and tricks' that I've found via google and such but to no avail. So I asked myself- what's something that I can focus on that could help me? I'm a huge message boarder- I do sports forums, computer and AR-15 rifle forums (I've built computers and am about to build an AR-15 rifle, hands-on stuff such as that keeps me on task and I enjoy the challenge), so I'm giving this a try to find some help. Like the title says I'm a senior accounting student and I'm struggling to graduate and it's a pretty stressful and frightening time right now. I'm failing two of my five classes this semester (and dropped a third of the five). The only classes I'm doing well in are a technology class (again, hands on computer tasks) and a business law class, but that's just because I've had a ton of street/business law classes and I know that stuff like the back of my hand.

And my name is Aaron obviously, glad to be here. Hopefully I can get some help now and then use that and other things I learn to help people in the future.
Old 11-15-10, 05:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

nomannomad has a spectacular aura aboutnomannomad has a spectacular aura about
Re: Senior Accounting Student Introduction

Aaron,

Welcome to the forums. I noticed you were an accounting student. I feel for you, man! I have an MBA and while it I think I learned a lot, accounting classes were always the biggest pain. I wish you the best!
Old 11-16-10, 12:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aaron and welcome.

Now that you are over 21, go to a doctor and get treatment for your AD/HD. It's time!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-10, 02:14 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Hi Aaron and welcome.

Now that you are over 21, go to a doctor and get treatment for your AD/HD. It's time!
I think I'm going to do just that, meridian. What are some common types of treatments? I'm not totally sure how I feel about being medicated- though if they were to prescribe it, I'd likely go for it until graduation. I've heard getting off ADD/ADHD medication can be rough and I'd rather not deal with that. Oh, and do I need to go to a specific type of doctor or just any general practitioner?

Last edited by aaron_c; 11-16-10 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Addition
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron_c For This Useful Post:
meridian (11-16-10)
Old 11-16-10, 04:10 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Weclcome aboard Aaron. Accounting is most assuredly not the easiest path to follow with ADD. I know, because I am in that line of business myself.

And how does one build an AR 15? Do you obtain the parts somewhere and then assemble the whole thing yourself?

And Meridian is right. You can choose for yourself now. Your ADD won't be going anywhere, it will stay with you for life. And if you let it score its first points against you by hindering your education you could end up in a world of hurt.
meridian (11-16-10)
Old 11-17-10, 01:59 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I've contacted my universities psychologist/doctor, who my adviser told me specializes in things such as ADD. Awaiting a reply by email to see when we can meet and discuss my options.

And to build an AR15, yes, you buy list of the necessary parts (stock, buffer tube, lower parts kit, lower receiver, grip- all for the lower half, and the upper half has a part list of similar length) and piece it together. The computer I built took about 3 hours, this should only take an hour tops but the challenge will be more in dexterity with the installation of pins, springs, detents, etc. I see you're from the Netherlands so it may be illegal where you live, as it is in some states (like the Boston/D.C areas) here. In Louisiana, however, there are very few laws at all it seems lol.