ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-10, 12:40 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,478 Times in 10,839 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Time and Computers

Excel,

I have a problem using the computer (internet especially) in moderation. And this is really tough, because I have to use the internet for research as part of my job.

In addition to using timers or other devices to make me aware of how much time has passed, I am also trying some firmer measures to prevent myself from wasting too much time.

LeechBlock is an add-on for Firefox that you can set to block certain websites (e.g., this forum!) after you've used them for a certain amount of time each day, or you can set it to block sites during certain hours (like when you plan to get work done). There are similar tools for other browsers, I think.

I also have another bit of software called ProCon that was designed for parents to use to block inappropriate websites for kids. I just told it that websites I tend to waste time on (major news sources, certain forum sites, genealogy, eBay, Craigslist, etc.) were "dirty words", so it blocks them entirely. I had my doctor set a password so that I can't just uninstall the website blocker. It's a pretty drastic step to block these sites altogether, but I was really having problems, and desperate times called for desperate measures.

These have helped, though since the internet is limitless at this point, I can still find ways to get distracted. I am new to using LeechBlock, but I think there may be ways to use it more effectively. (Also, having meds that work better, and being in a better place at work, might help me focus so I don't feel the need to go in search of internet stimulation all the time...)

If all else fails, there are Internet Addiction 12-Step Groups. With online meetings. (!) Go figure.
Old 10-05-10, 12:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ky4giraffe has a spectacular aura aboutKy4giraffe has a spectacular aura about

I know its really hard for me because I am taking some of my college classes online but I always find myself wondering off.. like now.. I have my college web site up, but I barely looked at it its been up since 10 (I think?) I dont even remember if I loged in yet..
Old 10-05-10, 01:39 PM

footinmouth is on a distinguished road

I crave computer time, too, particularly for "social networking." I find I'm better at communicating with people when I do so in text. Communicating verbally has never been my strong suit. I mean, you can't go back and edit and delete what you say outloud. I tend to say stupid stuff in-person, sometimes insulting people bigtime. It is always unintentional, but it happens all the time. I do it sometimes online, too, but it is much less frequent. And the consequences aren't as bad, obviously.

My time is usually spent creatively (with photos and my kids) or in networking with friends online.
Ritalin, Concerta, Strattera -> depressive swings that I couldn't cope with.
Vyvanse -> irritability and anger I couldn't cope with.
Lexapro -> 20mg daily made me flat and careless.
Effexor -> associated with health problems in my family.

Diagnosed with ADD in 2006 @ 24 yrs old.
I'm a lifelong screwball, though. :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-10, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ky4giraffe has a spectacular aura aboutKy4giraffe has a spectacular aura about

I have always loved the internet for that reason, to talk to people! I am to not a good social person in person. I have always been the weird awkward quiet girl. I am free to speak as I wish (for the most part) online.
Although, this is pretty bad considering my boyfriends the same way so we tend to text rather than call and still kinda awkward when we hang out.
Hes got SAD so his is worse than mine! And some days when Im just in a talkative mood I feel like I annoy him because I dont shut up!
Old 10-05-10, 07:39 PM
Contributor

x6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of light

I do this too! Although it is usually in a cycle, sorta like, Gizmodo>lifehacker>KnowYourMeme>AddForums>Facebook>Gizmodo
Old 12-03-10, 10:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,129 Times in 678 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Do you ever get tired of being on the computer.
Old 12-03-10, 05:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

erin_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Does anybody ever wonder where the time goes when they are on the computer or just in general? I run from one website to another and never accomplishing anything. than I wonder where all the time went. I do this with trying to organzise myself or really doing anything. It's start to drive me nuts.
YES! In the summer breaks with school I would spend all day on the computer and still wonder where the day went. The internet is irresistible to me. When I had to do something for school, I would always unplug the internet cable so I wouldn't get distracted by temptation. Helps we don't have wireless internet at home, my dad is far too paranoid....
Old 12-08-10, 03:41 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

I know the feeling of never getting anything done.
Old 12-08-10, 04:23 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I find myself spending hours on the internet & I can't seem to stop!
buddy
Old 12-08-10, 04:37 PM

Thanked 1,023 Times in 617 Posts
Tommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud ofTommy Wilhelm has much to be proud of

I think someone hit the nail on the head saying we don't get enough stimulation in our lives. I like to read; I feel like I'm crazy going on the net when I've got the product of some genius' 20 year labour sitting on the floor, unread. -Actually, now the Guardian's got the American diplomatic wires from wikileaks my attitude might be out of date. But if I want to do anything other than read, where I live? It's go out in the ****ing rain and spend money, which leaves the internet as the only apparent option. And there's the social thing: it's not easy having an adequate social life, and you can't talk back to the books.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommy Wilhelm For This Useful Post:
happierin09 (02-23-11)
Old 12-08-10, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

bof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Do you ever get tired of being on the computer.
Yes, but i still can't get off it.

I am addicted to the internet also, because of stimulation. Jumping between forums, news, RSS feeds where I channel tons of info, wikipedia, online video games, even tv (I don't do cable, I stream everything through netflix and hulu plus), or download movies and share them through a media server to my ps3. I loved doing SEO in the past. When there's interruption in internet service, I aircrack the closest wifi connection. Off the internet, mod video game engines, animation, 3d modeling, etc. I got 3 monitors at my work.

There's usually not even enough stimulation I can get. Honestly, I'll have TV going, playing video games, and listening to music all at the same time, and still want more. My wife will sometimes want to cuddle, and my mind goes crazy from not doing anything. I can't wait to try meds. My first appointment is tomorrow.
Old 12-08-10, 07:21 PM

Antiks72 will become famous soon enough

God I love the internet. Between that and videogames, it's hard to ever be productive on a computer unless I'm at work.
Old 12-10-10, 08:14 PM

I just kill time
Old 02-21-11, 11:24 AM

Computers make time go by so fast it makes my head spin.
Old 02-21-11, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Wilhelm View Post
It's go out in the ****ing rain and spend money, which leaves the internet as the only apparent option. And there's the social thing: it's not easy having an adequate social life, and you can't talk back to the books.
Seriously, dude, you and I need to hang. I'm mentally high-fiving these posts. I'm such a bro. hahaha

Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.